SR: Wakefield Gaming 1/26

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 29, 2001
      Somehow I managed to have 13 gamers at my house. This
      mark is only eclipsed by the mega post thanksgiving
      session. For those arriving early, dinner for the
      evening was lasagna and garlic bread (great choice
      when you have 13 people over for gaming huh?). The
      the pre gaming dinner talk is almost as entertaining
      as the talk during the games. Pat brought a great
      bottle of wine which might have improved some gamer's
      skills and certainly diminished others (notably Pat's
      liar's dice ability). Pat also brought a friend -
      Christine who I think was new to gaming - Pat? She
      was a great fit and looked like she had a grand time.
      Pat - tell Christine she is welcome back anytime.

      The highlight of the evening this time though was a
      visit by the local constable - more on that later.

      Roll Call: Pat, Christine (pat's friend), Dave R.,
      Matthew & Carrie, Andrew, Jonathan, Jeff T., Rich G.,
      Charles, & the Hansels

      Games played: Bluff/Liar's dice x2, Tabula Rasa,
      Empires of the Ancient World, Schnappchen Jagd, Vino,
      Quandary, Ricochet Robot, Medici, Kuhhandel, Hong
      Kong, Rhienlander, Ra, Metro, and Dia de los Meurtos
      for a total of 16 games!!! Since I played just a few
      of these, I'd love to hear comments on the other
      games.

      Some highlights of what I played

      Vino - Rich, Matt, Charles, and myself: This was my
      first playing of this one. It had been on my playlist
      for quite a long time making it an older Rio Grande
      vintage. The game certainly allows for a lot of bad
      wine puns which makes it entertaining on that fact
      alone. The object of the game is to own the most
      vineyards. Cash is spent on buying vineyards which in
      turn produce wine that is sold for more cash. Cash at
      the end of the game doesn't count for anything other
      than to break ties. Rich won with a great last turn
      that saw he and Charles buy up the remaining vineyards
      in the largest region. This put him ahead of Matthew
      and well ahead of me for the win with almost 30
      vineyards. Charles and Matthew were in the range as
      well, while I was lagging far behind with 10
      vineyards.
      I found the game to be rather dry (pun not intended)
      and somewhat less than the sum of it's parts. I
      certainly didn't feel like I was operating vineyards
      and selling wine - given my score that seems to be
      self evident. Anyway, There is a decent game here,
      but one that I'm not looking to try again anytime
      soon. Ratings were in the 6.5 - 7.5 range.

      Quandary - aka Flinke Plinke: A quick lite Knizia
      filler that the Vino guys played while waiting for the
      game table shuffle to occur. I had forgotten how much
      I like this game. If anyone knows where I can get my
      hands on the Quandary version, let me know.

      Empires of the Ancient World - Jeff and Rich were
      eager to see this one and while I didn't want to play
      a full game, I was happy to run through the rules and
      the first turn so they could get a feel for the
      mechanisms. Their reactions were on the low side.
      I'm still hopeful and look foward to trying a full
      game at some point now that I have a good handle on
      the rules. I'll invite Jeff to add his thoughts on
      this one.

      Bluff: Several were calling for Bluff so the dice and
      cups were passed out and the name calling and
      smalktalk was started. Game one say 6 players at the
      table with Pat, Dave, Matthew, Charles, Andrew and
      myself sitting down. There was a long string of bets
      that were ties causing several to lose a lot of dice
      through no fault of there own. I lost four this way
      and found myself down to one rather quickly while Dave
      and Pat had 2 and 3 respectively. I then got inside
      Pat's head, taking his 3 dice in a manner easier than
      taking candy from a baby and mopped up Dave's last 2
      dice. Immediate shouts for a rematch rang out. This
      time Christine, Pat's friend joined while Matthew and
      Andrew moved on so with 5, we rolled again. Pat and
      Christine battled back and forth taking each other's
      dice. Dave R. and I survived and eventually Dave was
      vanquished again - probably still freaked out at what
      happened in the last game.

      It should be pointed out that during Liar's Dice, my
      house was visited by the Wakefield police for the
      first time ever at approx. 11pm. It seems a car with
      NY plates was parked practically in the middle of the
      street. Charles fessed up and moved his car, only to
      have a neighbor returning from homem 15 minutes later
      knock on the door asking about the same car which was
      parked in her driveway or turnoff or something like
      that. Damn New Yorkers - think they own the streets.
      I'll find a suitable parking place for Charles in time
      for the next session. And now back to our regularly
      scheduled programming.

      Dia de los Meurtos - This actually happened before
      Liar's Dice. Andrew paired up with Rich G. and I
      paired up with Dave. I had a much better handle on
      this game the second time through as did Andrew I
      think. Dave and Rich caught up to speed quickly
      enough. We did play the full game which found
      Rich/Andrew score 4 points to our 3. Now that I have
      tried this twice, I'm eager to play it again.

      Medici: Everyone cleared out except Jeff, Charles,
      Rich, Dave and myself. So we cranked out Medici for
      the topper. Charles and I battled back and forth
      while Jeff's boat's stunk like rotten fish. Charles
      and I finished in a tie and couldn't find any
      tiebreaking rules for Medici so we finished the
      evening victorious.
      With that everyone departed - Charles was hoping that
      his car wasn't towed at this point. Thanks to Pat for
      the wine and Matthew and Carrie for the cookies. If I
      missed anyone's contributions to food and drink,
      thanks to you as well.

      The next WAGG session is in flux at the moment as a
      potential location change is pondered. Dirty Dan
      Cashmmore may potentially host WAGG on 2/9 at his
      place and the W would stand for Waltham. Stay tuned
      for breaking news.

      Craig

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • Charles Glaser
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 29, 2001
        Thank you Craig for the wonderful tales of my parking problems...By the
        way....How does an indentation in the side of the road count as a
        driveway...

        Great night otherwise...Much thanks to Craig for hosting ..

        Charles
> [...]
        >his car wasn't towed at this point. Thanks to Pat for
        >the wine and Matthew and Carrie for the cookies. If I
        >missed anyone's contributions to food and drink,
        >thanks to you as well.
        >
        >The next WAGG session is in flux at the moment as a
        >potential location change is pondered. Dirty Dan
        >Cashmmore may potentially host WAGG on 2/9 at his
        >place and the W would stand for Waltham. Stay tuned
        >for breaking news.
        >
        >Craig
        >

        >=====
        >Craig W. Massey
        >cwmassey@...

        >Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices.
        >http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        >

        >Web page for Unity Games member database, files, polls, etc.
        >http://www.egroups.com/group/Unity_Games
        >
        >To UNSUBSCRIBE from The Unity Games mailing list, please send an email to:
        Unsubscribe from there.

      • jonnypolite@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 29, 2001
          --- In Unity_Games@y..., Craig Massey <cwmassey@y...> wrote:
          > Somehow I managed to have 13 gamers at my house. This
          > mark is only eclipsed by the mega post thanksgiving
          > session. For those arriving early, dinner for the
          > evening was lasagna and garlic bread (great choice
          > when you have 13 people over for gaming huh?). The
          > the pre gaming dinner talk is almost as entertaining
          > as the talk during the games. Pat brought a great
          > bottle of wine which might have improved some gamer's
          > skills and certainly diminished others (notably Pat's
          > liar's dice ability). Pat also brought a friend -
          > Christine who I think was new to gaming - Pat? She
          > was a great fit and looked like she had a grand time.
          > Pat - tell Christine she is welcome back anytime.

          She had a great time, and would love to come back, she seemed to like
          the bidding games a lot, and i think she'd really take to traumfabrik
          or modern art, we'll have to see. And yeah, she's a newcomer,
          although she has heard of settlers and even knows someone who owns
          Empires of the Ancient World, amazingly. She's a natural though, she
          won our game of Kuhhandel, and also beat Jonathan at Tabula Rasa (!)
          in a 3 player match. Broken?

          By the by, has anyone stopped by Target lately in the greater Boston
          area? I've read that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is marked down to
          $4.99, but it's a hike to get to one for me, anyone know more about
          this?
        • Matthew Gray
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 29, 2001
            > By the by, has anyone stopped by Target lately in the greater Boston
            > area? I've read that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is marked down to
            > $4.99, but it's a hike to get to one for me, anyone know more about
            > this?

            The new Target up on route 16 in Medford, despite being the size of a
            small city, did not appear to havy any copy's of the Buffy game,
            marked down or otherwise.

            ...Matthew
          • jsyedidia@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 29, 2001
              --- In Unity_Games@y..., jonnypolite@h... wrote:
              > [Christine's] a natural though, she
              > won our game of Kuhhandel, and also beat Jonathan at Tabula Rasa (!)
              > in a 3 player match. Broken?

              Yes, Christine's a natural, and also Friday night was not a good one
              for my fearsome reputation. I got zero (!) points in Kuhhandel, came
              dead last in Tabula Rasa, got trounced by Jeff in Hong Kong (very nice
              1998 Knizia 20-30 minute 2-player no-luck game--we both gave it 8's;
              I'm not sure why it's so neglected.), and inadvertantly was king-maker
              in Rheinlander, throwing the game from either Alison or Dave R to
              David H.

              I don't think 3-player Tabula Rasa is broken BTW, but it's better as a
              2-player game.

              Thanks to Craig for hosting another great session and cooking tasty
              lasagna. I had a great time.

              Jonathan
            • Dan Cashmore
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 30, 2001
                Craig writes:

                > The next WAGG session is in flux at the moment as a
                > potential location change is pondered. Dirty Dan
                > Cashmmore may potentially host WAGG on 2/9 at his
                > place and the W would stand for Waltham. Stay tuned
                > for breaking news.
                >
                > Craig

                Upon further inspection of the idea, the temporary move to Waltham is off
                for that date. Maybe on a future Friday we will try it.

                -Dan
              • Mark Edwards
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 30, 2001
                  --- In Unity_Games@y..., Dan Cashmore <CarDan6065@r...> wrote:
                  > Craig writes:
                  > >
                  > > The next WAGG session is in flux at the moment as a
                  > > potential location change is pondered. Dirty Dan
                  > > Cashmmore may potentially host WAGG on 2/9 at his
                  > > place and the W would stand for Waltham. Stay tuned
                  > > for breaking news.
                  > >
                  > > Craig
                  >
                  > Upon further inspection of the idea, the temporary move to Waltham
                  is off
                  > for that date. Maybe on a future Friday we will try it.
                  >
                  > -Dan

                  What the....???? I was going to make every special effort to be
                  there, but no, Dan cancels it before it even gets off the ground.
                  Get our hopes up and then just dash em to bits on the rocks of
                  your callous selfishness. Nice Dan, real nice. You're a peach.

                  Mark
                • Craig Massey
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 31, 2001
                    --- Mark Edwards <dangermouse@...> wrote:

                    > What the....???? I was going to make every
                    > special effort to be
                    > there, but no, Dan cancels it before it even gets
                    > off the ground.
                    > Get our hopes up and then just dash em to bits on
                    > the rocks of
                    > your callous selfishness. Nice Dan, real nice.
                    > You're a peach.

                    Great - now you have no excuse not to show up at my
                    place Mark next friday, unless the trauma of seeing
                    Dan's plans cancelled is too much for you to bear.

                    Craig

                    =====
                    Craig W. Massey
                    cwmassey@...

                    a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                  • Craig Massey
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
                      If it's Wednesday, it must be BLAH. I'll leave the
                      sordid overall details of the session to everyone's
                      favorite host and humble scribe and provide the edge
                      of your seat drama of the games from my perspective.

                      Battleline: Arriving a little early allowed Andrew and
                      I to engage in a quick opener of Battleline. He
                      opened up a can of whoop-@#% on me in short order by
                      capturing 5 flags to 1 and I don't think I was even
                      close to claiming any of the other flags. Alison and
                      David arrived and Alison immediately made a comment on
                      the thoroughness of Andrew's victory.

                      Schnappchen Jagd (Bargain Hunt or something like
                      that): We eased into the evening by playing this
                      trick taking game from Queen. Players attempt to
                      collect bargins (cards of one rank 1-9), while
                      avoiding the other junk that comes with a trick.
                      Players must follow suit in the trick taking phase,
                      but if you don't have the suit, you may play any other
                      color and declare it as trump for the trick or you can
                      choose to not count that color as trump and duck. At
                      the end of a hand, players will go through all of the
                      crap cards they collected and get a chance to discard
                      a pair of any one rank to the discard pile. If they
                      have more than a pair of that rank, they can put the
                      remaining on there bargain pile to collect for the
                      next hand. Scoring at the end is the number of cards
                      in your bargain pile minus the cards in the crap pile.

                      Sounds easy, but it is quite tricky, especially
                      avoiding too many garbage cards of different ranks,
                      making it fairly easy to end up with a negative score.
                      Both Andrew and I had played previously, so Alison
                      and David played the first hand in a rather bewildered
                      state. Ever notice that when Alison plays a new game,
                      she often mumbles on about what her motivation is like
                      some Shakepearean actor trying out for a sitcom? Well
                      she did that a lot the first couple of hands, but in
                      the end it all worked out as she finished with a score
                      of 7 which tied me while David was just off the pace
                      and Andrew - well he demonstrated with much aplomb the
                      proper technique for scoring in the red.

                      Euphrat & Tigris - A quick suggestion for a heavy
                      thinking game was jumped on, especially since Jonathan
                      wasn't around to show us the business end of the E&T
                      stick as Mark would probably put it. David and Alison
                      got into a minor back and forth tussle in one corner
                      of the board while Andrew and I carved out large
                      territories on the other side and stayed out of each
                      others way in the beginning. David then carved out
                      another growing kingdom and started to encroach on
                      Andrew's turf who in turn was pinched between my
                      expanding kingdom. This is when all hell broke loose.
                      Andrew kicked me around a bit, then I kicked him back
                      and then David who had a great opportunity to really
                      kick Andrew after I effectively snipped all support to
                      his Black and Green leaders decided to kick me in the
                      shin instead and jumped into my kingdom with his blue
                      leader taking away control of the blue/black monument
                      with Andrew getting the black points. Arrgghhh!!

                      I was short on blue points the whole nite so I went
                      looking to kick someone else and that turned out to be
                      Alison. I ended up successfully punting her blue
                      leader, but it was too little too late as she had a
                      devastating last move in a fight with David's black
                      leader and garnering the last two black points she
                      needed. The final scoring was much closer than I
                      anticipated with Alison at 8, Andrew and I at 7 and
                      David at 6.

                      Atlantis: We all felt a little thought out so we
                      decided that Atlantis with it's random elements and
                      great bits would be a good way to cleanse the palette.
                      It turned out Andrew was still in deep thought mode
                      in an effort to save his orange Atlantians and commune
                      with the sea monsters, sharks and dolphins. It didn't
                      do him any good in the end. The island sunk and I
                      snuck a third person to the shore to edge everyone out
                      for the win - must have been the skillful play
                      overcoming the random elements. The game was a lot of
                      fun, with much carnage. It was strangely satisfying
                      to turn over a whirlpool tile and destroy everything
                      in the area. Best bits in a game I've seen this year
                      too.

                      Bluff/Liar's Dice: Diamond Dan Cashmore must have been
                      scared at the thought of a rematch this week since he
                      wasn't in attendance. I exacted my revenge from last
                      week's Bluff defeat on Alison, David and Andrew. You
                      can run, but you can't hide Dan.

                      Battleine - take 2: After the early thrashing at the
                      hand of General Watson, I wanted a rematch to cap off
                      the nite. As soundly as Andrew kicked the stuffin'
                      out of me earlier, I returned the favor winning 4 - 1
                      with a breakthrough victory on the three middle flags.
                      I thought about playing a rubber match, but figured I
                      better scoot while I was tied.

                      Great session. Even though I love large sessions with
                      lots of games, gamers and choices, there are lots of
                      times when a session with 4 or 5 gamers is perfect -
                      especially in the middle of the week to get you
                      through to the big shindigs on the weekends. Thanks
                      again to Andrew who played the host wonderfully as
                      always.

                      Craig

                      =====