UG XX: Helpful Hints

  • Phil Alberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2014
      1. Please include some sort of identification within each game you bring. Some people put stickers on the inside of box lids. I include a business card with my name and address in each of my games. This helps tremendously in ensuring that games are returned to the correct pile, and it helps at day's end when deciding what to do with orphaned games that are found during cleanup.

      2. After each game, be sure to check the tabletop and under the table for rascally game pieces that are trying to escape. There's nothing more maddening than to discover that bits are missing when you get home.

      3. Please treat games as if they were your own. That is, don't play games while eating Cheetos or other items that leave residue on the bits.  Also, please spend the time to pack up games the way you found them.  Some people use baggies, etc., to organize their games so as to make them easier to setup, so please make use of these when putting games away.

      4. A good way to attract gamers is to hold a game aloft and visit the Jump Start area. This area is well marked, and is usually in the middle of the gaming area.

      5. Don't forget to bring your Math Trade items. There will be a set of shelves with marked areas to facilitate the transfer of games.  The Math Trade will be setup in the North Shore ballroom.

      6. It will be crowded (over 500 have pre-paid!), so please be considerate of others and maintain good personal hygiene.

      7. Please pick up your trash. Table space will be at a premium, and it's frustrating to have to first clear off someone else's garbage.

      8. The Teaching Area schedule has been published. You may view it here:

      9. Please take advantage of the online games database to request games and to let us know what games you will be bringing. This resource gains in usefulness as more people use it.

      10. As you pack up your games, check each one to verify that it is indeed your copy. If you find someone else's copy on your pile, first see if they have your game on their pile so you can exchange it. If that fails, then report the discrepancy and bring the wayward game to the Lost + Found area at the UG registration desk. All such discrepancies will be rectified as soon as possible after the UG event.

      11. There is a Charity Auction being conducted this year. Please consider participating.

      12. Be sure to bring money for personal game sales and won auction items that will be transacted at UG.

      Even as UG attendance has grown, I've found that everyone is still friendly. Gamers truly are the best people! It should therefore be very easy for you to HAVE FUN!!

      See you Saturday

      --
      Eastern MA Gaming
      http://www.unitygames.org/

      "When playing a game the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning."
      - Reiner Knizia