Re: [Unity_Games] Game recommendations

  • Craig B
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
      I would also tack on Stone Age.  It might be at the high end of the learning curve (though, if they get chess, they should get it).  Others would include Can't Stop, Robo Rally, and 7 Wonders.

      - Craig

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 25, 2013
        Bohnanza ("The Bean Game") was popular with our kids when they were that age. Also Munchkin and Fluxx. Any of the Lego games are good. Monopoly, of course, and Life.

        --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Jackson-Mead <jacksonmead@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Asking this for friends of friends. They are a family of 4, with a
        > 7-year-old and a 9-year-old and two parents. The games they have all
        > enjoyed are:
        > Chess
        > Settlers of Catan
        > Carcassonne
        > Othello
        > Labyrinth
        > Stratego
        > Set
        > Hive
        > Mancala
        >
        > The games that the 7-year-old has enjoyed but the rest of the family didn't:
        > Ticket to Ride (don't know which version)
        > Elfenland
        >
        > I've lent them Pandemic, Once Upon a Time, Blokus, and Bohnanza, and I've
        > given a recommendation for Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers.
        >
        > Does anyone have any other recommendations for games for them? Preferably
        > 4-player ones that they can all play together.
        >
        > Also, they live on the North Shore (Swampscott, I think). Are there any
        > newbie-friendly and kid-friendly game gatherings close to them?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Kevin

      • Jeffrey Henning
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 26, 2013
          My 7-year old enjoys:
          * Fluxx - Oz Fluxx and Pirates Fluxx, especially
          * Battleship
          * Monopoly Jr. (probably his favorite)
          * Bang!
          * The Sorcerer's Cave
          * Lego Heroica
          * Zingo!
          * Quick Chess

          Handy links:
          http://boardgamegeek.com/plays/bygame/user/Jeffrey%20Henning/subtype/boardgame

          - Jeffrey
        • Paul LaRue
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 27, 2013
            I have 4 boys ages 6,9,11,12 - they enjoy playing:

            Transformers Risk
            Dungeon!
            Munchkin
            Cribbage (yes that's right)
            Castle Panic
            Carcassone
            Small World

            Sent from my iPhone
          • Kevin Jackson-Mead
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 27, 2013
              Thanks for the recommendations, Paul!

              Kevin

              On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Paul LaRue <bppglarue@...> wrote:

              > I have 4 boys ages 6,9,11,12 - they enjoy playing:
              >
              > Transformers Risk
              > Dungeon!
              > Munchkin
              > Cribbage (yes that's right)
              > Castle Panic
              > Carcassone
              > Small World
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone

              > Groups Links

            • matthew horn
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 29, 2013
                Hick Hack in Gackelwack is a favorite of my 7, 9, and 11 year olds, and I
                don't mind playing it myself.

                On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Kevin Jackson-Mead
                <jacksonmead@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Thanks for the recommendations, Paul!
                >
                > Kevin
                >

                > On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Paul LaRue <bppglarue@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I have 4 boys ages 6,9,11,12 - they enjoy playing:
                > >
                > > Transformers Risk
                > > Dungeon!
                > > Munchkin
                > > Cribbage (yes that's right)
                > > Castle Panic
                > > Carcassone
                > > Small World
                > >
                > > Sent from my iPhone

                > > Groups Links

              • Karl von Laudermann
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 29, 2013
                  Yes, that's a good one; the English version is called Pick Picknic.

                  On Jul 29, 2013, at 6:23 PM, matthew horn wrote:

                  > Hick Hack in Gackelwack is a favorite of my 7, 9, and 11 year olds, and I
                  > don't mind playing it myself.
                  >

                  > On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Kevin Jackson-Mead
                  > <jacksonmead@...>wrote:
                  >
                  >> **
                  >>

                  >> Thanks for the recommendations, Paul!
                  >>
                  >> Kevin
                  >>

                  >> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Paul LaRue <bppglarue@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> I have 4 boys ages 6,9,11,12 - they enjoy playing:
                  >>>
                  >>> Transformers Risk
                  >>> Dungeon!
                  >>> Munchkin
                  >>> Cribbage (yes that's right)