Re: [Unity_Games] Game recommendations

  • E
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
      I would add

      King's Breakfast (Don't need math while playing, but when you score, you multiply)

      Cartagena (Planning ahead)
      Qwirkle

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
        Ingenious

        >________________________________

      • Craig B
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
          I would also tack on Stone Age.  It might be at the high end of the learning curve (though, if they get chess, they should get it).  Others would include Can't Stop, Robo Rally, and 7 Wonders.

          - Craig

          ________________________________
          >Forbidden Island is a good quick cooperative that plays up to 4 people.
          >
          >King of Tokyo I would second, it has monsters and is simple.
          >

          >On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Felix Rodriguez <far3@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Going down my owned list of lighter games:
          >>
          >> Cheeky Monkey.
          >> Exxtra (Republished as Excape)
          >> FITS
          >> Mamma Mia (Requires memory which makes kids better than adults)
          >> 10 Days series
          >> King of Tokyo
          >> Dominion.
          >>
          >> I strongly second the Carcassonne H&G suggestion.
          >>

          >> On 7/24/2013 7:54 AM, Kevin Jackson-Mead wrote:
          >> >
          >> > Hi all,
          >> >
          >> > Asking this for friends of friends. They are a family of 4, with a
          >> > 7-year-old and a 9-year-old and two parents. The games they have all
          >> > enjoyed are:
          >> > Chess
          >> > Settlers of Catan
          >> > Carcassonne
          >> > Othello
          >> > Labyrinth
          >> > Stratego
          >> > Set
          >> > Hive
          >> > Mancala
          >> >
          >> > The games that the 7-year-old has enjoyed but the rest of the family
          >> > didn't:
          >> > Ticket to Ride (don't know which version)
          >> > Elfenland
          >> >
          >> > I've lent them Pandemic, Once Upon a Time, Blokus, and Bohnanza, and I've
          >> > given a recommendation for Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers.
          >> >
          >> > Does anyone have any other recommendations for games for them? Preferably
          >> > 4-player ones that they can all play together.
          >> >
          >> > Also, they live on the North Shore (Swampscott, I think). Are there any
          >> > newbie-friendly and kid-friendly game gatherings close to them?
          >> >
          >> > Thanks,
          >> > Kevin

        • lisa_hertel
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 25, 2013
            Bohnanza ("The Bean Game") was popular with our kids when they were that age. Also Munchkin and Fluxx. Any of the Lego games are good. Monopoly, of course, and Life.

            --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Jackson-Mead <jacksonmead@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > Asking this for friends of friends. They are a family of 4, with a
            > 7-year-old and a 9-year-old and two parents. The games they have all
            > enjoyed are:
            > Chess
            > Settlers of Catan
            > Carcassonne
            > Othello
            > Labyrinth
            > Stratego
            > Set
            > Hive
            > Mancala
            >
            > The games that the 7-year-old has enjoyed but the rest of the family didn't:
            > Ticket to Ride (don't know which version)
            > Elfenland
            >
            > I've lent them Pandemic, Once Upon a Time, Blokus, and Bohnanza, and I've
            > given a recommendation for Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers.
            >
            > Does anyone have any other recommendations for games for them? Preferably
            > 4-player ones that they can all play together.
            >
            > Also, they live on the North Shore (Swampscott, I think). Are there any
            > newbie-friendly and kid-friendly game gatherings close to them?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Kevin

          • Jeffrey Henning
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 26, 2013
              My 7-year old enjoys:
              * Fluxx - Oz Fluxx and Pirates Fluxx, especially
              * Battleship
              * Monopoly Jr. (probably his favorite)
              * Bang!
              * The Sorcerer's Cave
              * Lego Heroica
              * Zingo!
              * Quick Chess

              Handy links:
              http://boardgamegeek.com/plays/bygame/user/Jeffrey%20Henning/subtype/boardgame

              - Jeffrey
            • Paul LaRue
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 27, 2013
                I have 4 boys ages 6,9,11,12 - they enjoy playing:

                Transformers Risk
                Dungeon!
                Munchkin
                Cribbage (yes that's right)
                Castle Panic
                Carcassone
                Small World

                Sent from my iPhone
              • Kevin Jackson-Mead
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 27, 2013
                  Thanks for the recommendations, Paul!

                  Kevin

                  On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Paul LaRue <bppglarue@...> wrote:

                  > I have 4 boys ages 6,9,11,12 - they enjoy playing:
                  >
                  > Transformers Risk
                  > Dungeon!
                  > Munchkin
                  > Cribbage (yes that's right)
                  > Castle Panic
                  > Carcassone
                  > Small World
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone

                  > Groups Links

                • matthew horn
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 29, 2013
                    Hick Hack in Gackelwack is a favorite of my 7, 9, and 11 year olds, and I
                    don't mind playing it myself.

                    On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Kevin Jackson-Mead
                    <jacksonmead@...>wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Thanks for the recommendations, Paul!
                    >
                    > Kevin
                    >

                    > On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Paul LaRue <bppglarue@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I have 4 boys ages 6,9,11,12 - they enjoy playing:
                    > >
                    > > Transformers Risk
                    > > Dungeon!
                    > > Munchkin
                    > > Cribbage (yes that's right)
                    > > Castle Panic
                    > > Carcassone
                    > > Small World
                    > >
                    > > Sent from my iPhone

                    > > Groups Links

                  • Karl von Laudermann
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 29, 2013
                      Yes, that's a good one; the English version is called Pick Picknic.

                      On Jul 29, 2013, at 6:23 PM, matthew horn wrote:

                      > Hick Hack in Gackelwack is a favorite of my 7, 9, and 11 year olds, and I
                      > don't mind playing it myself.
                      >

                      > On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Kevin Jackson-Mead
                      > <jacksonmead@...>wrote:
                      >
                      >> **
                      >>

                      >> Thanks for the recommendations, Paul!
                      >>
                      >> Kevin
                      >>

                      >> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Paul LaRue <bppglarue@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> I have 4 boys ages 6,9,11,12 - they enjoy playing:
                      >>>
                      >>> Transformers Risk
                      >>> Dungeon!
                      >>> Munchkin
                      >>> Cribbage (yes that's right)