Game recommendations

  • Kevin Jackson-Mead
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
      Hi all,

      Asking this for friends of friends. They are a family of 4, with a
      7-year-old and a 9-year-old and two parents. The games they have all
      enjoyed are:
      Chess
      Settlers of Catan
      Carcassonne
      Othello
      Labyrinth
      Stratego
      Set
      Hive
      Mancala

      The games that the 7-year-old has enjoyed but the rest of the family didn't:
      Ticket to Ride (don't know which version)
      Elfenland

      I've lent them Pandemic, Once Upon a Time, Blokus, and Bohnanza, and I've
      given a recommendation for Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers.

      Does anyone have any other recommendations for games for them? Preferably
      4-player ones that they can all play together.

      Also, they live on the North Shore (Swampscott, I think). Are there any
      newbie-friendly and kid-friendly game gatherings close to them?

      Thanks,
      Kevin

    • Chris Jeris
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
        How about Through the Desert? It's pretty simple for how deep it is, and
        it has pastel camels! I would also recommend Ra but the arithmetic might
        be a little too much for the younger child.

        peace, Chris
        On Jul 24, 2013 7:55 AM, "Kevin Jackson-Mead" <jacksonmead@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Asking this for friends of friends. They are a family of 4, with a
        > 7-year-old and a 9-year-old and two parents. The games they have all
        > enjoyed are:
        > Chess
        > Settlers of Catan
        > Carcassonne
        > Othello
        > Labyrinth
        > Stratego
        > Set
        > Hive
        > Mancala
        >
        > The games that the 7-year-old has enjoyed but the rest of the family
        > didn't:
        > Ticket to Ride (don't know which version)
        > Elfenland
        >
        > I've lent them Pandemic, Once Upon a Time, Blokus, and Bohnanza, and I've
        > given a recommendation for Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers.
        >
        > Does anyone have any other recommendations for games for them? Preferably
        > 4-player ones that they can all play together.
        >
        > Also, they live on the North Shore (Swampscott, I think). Are there any
        > newbie-friendly and kid-friendly game gatherings close to them?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Kevin

      • Felix Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
          Going down my owned list of lighter games:

          Cheeky Monkey.
          Exxtra (Republished as Excape)
          FITS
          Mamma Mia (Requires memory which makes kids better than adults)
          10 Days series
          King of Tokyo
          Dominion.

          I strongly second the Carcassonne H&G suggestion.

          On 7/24/2013 7:54 AM, Kevin Jackson-Mead wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Asking this for friends of friends. They are a family of 4, with a
          > 7-year-old and a 9-year-old and two parents. The games they have all
          > enjoyed are:
          > Chess
          > Settlers of Catan
          > Carcassonne
          > Othello
          > Labyrinth
          > Stratego
          > Set
          > Hive
          > Mancala
          >
          > The games that the 7-year-old has enjoyed but the rest of the family
          > didn't:
          > Ticket to Ride (don't know which version)
          > Elfenland
          >
          > I've lent them Pandemic, Once Upon a Time, Blokus, and Bohnanza, and I've
          > given a recommendation for Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers.
          >
          > Does anyone have any other recommendations for games for them? Preferably
          > 4-player ones that they can all play together.
          >
          > Also, they live on the North Shore (Swampscott, I think). Are there any
          > newbie-friendly and kid-friendly game gatherings close to them?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Kevin

        • Eric Barry
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
            Forbidden Island is a good quick cooperative that plays up to 4 people.

            King of Tokyo I would second, it has monsters and is simple.

            On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Felix Rodriguez <far3@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Going down my owned list of lighter games:
            >
            > Cheeky Monkey.
            > Exxtra (Republished as Excape)
            > FITS
            > Mamma Mia (Requires memory which makes kids better than adults)
            > 10 Days series
            > King of Tokyo
            > Dominion.
            >
            > I strongly second the Carcassonne H&G suggestion.
            >

            > On 7/24/2013 7:54 AM, Kevin Jackson-Mead wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > Asking this for friends of friends. They are a family of 4, with a
            > > 7-year-old and a 9-year-old and two parents. The games they have all
            > > enjoyed are:
            > > Chess
            > > Settlers of Catan
            > > Carcassonne
            > > Othello
            > > Labyrinth
            > > Stratego
            > > Set
            > > Hive
            > > Mancala
            > >
            > > The games that the 7-year-old has enjoyed but the rest of the family
            > > didn't:
            > > Ticket to Ride (don't know which version)
            > > Elfenland
            > >
            > > I've lent them Pandemic, Once Upon a Time, Blokus, and Bohnanza, and I've
            > > given a recommendation for Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers.
            > >
            > > Does anyone have any other recommendations for games for them? Preferably
            > > 4-player ones that they can all play together.
            > >
            > > Also, they live on the North Shore (Swampscott, I think). Are there any
            > > newbie-friendly and kid-friendly game gatherings close to them?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Kevin

          • Jeff Michaud
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
              Hi Kevin

              I 2nd or 3rd some of the recommendations you've already
              got. You may also want to try boardgamegeek, they've now
              got (they may have always had it but I didn't notice) a
              "Gaming With Kids" forum:

              http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/34/

              As for "gaming with kids" gatherings/sessions, last year (I
              believe) a subset of SOG (Suburban Outcast Gamers)
              had a couple sessions, I think one of them was in the
              Andover area which is relatively close to them.

              As for my own recommendation, if you want to have
              gaming fun and help reinforce their basic math
              skills, and I think they are the right ages, is

              Hare & Tortoise
              http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/361/

              Happy Gaming!

              Jeff

              At 07:54 AM 7/24/2013, you wrote:
              >Does anyone have any other recommendations for games for them? Preferably
              >4-player ones that they can all play together.
              >
              >Also, they live on the North Shore (Swampscott, I think). Are there any
              >newbie-friendly and kid-friendly game gatherings close to them?
            • E
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                I would add

                King's Breakfast (Don't need math while playing, but when you score, you multiply)

                Cartagena (Planning ahead)
                Qwirkle

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                  Ingenious

                  >________________________________

                • Craig B
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                    I would also tack on Stone Age.  It might be at the high end of the learning curve (though, if they get chess, they should get it).  Others would include Can't Stop, Robo Rally, and 7 Wonders.

                    - Craig

                    ________________________________
                    >Forbidden Island is a good quick cooperative that plays up to 4 people.
                    >
                    >King of Tokyo I would second, it has monsters and is simple.
                    >

                    >On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Felix Rodriguez <far3@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> **
                    >>

                    >> Going down my owned list of lighter games:
                    >>
                    >> Cheeky Monkey.
                    >> Exxtra (Republished as Excape)
                    >> FITS
                    >> Mamma Mia (Requires memory which makes kids better than adults)
                    >> 10 Days series
                    >> King of Tokyo
                    >> Dominion.
                    >>
                    >> I strongly second the Carcassonne H&G suggestion.
                    >>

                    >> On 7/24/2013 7:54 AM, Kevin Jackson-Mead wrote:
                    >> >
                    >> > Hi all,
                    >> >
                    >> > Asking this for friends of friends. They are a family of 4, with a
                    >> > 7-year-old and a 9-year-old and two parents. The games they have all
                    >> > enjoyed are:
                    >> > Chess
                    >> > Settlers of Catan
                    >> > Carcassonne
                    >> > Othello
                    >> > Labyrinth
                    >> > Stratego
                    >> > Set
                    >> > Hive
                    >> > Mancala
                    >> >
                    >> > The games that the 7-year-old has enjoyed but the rest of the family
                    >> > didn't:
                    >> > Ticket to Ride (don't know which version)
                    >> > Elfenland
                    >> >
                    >> > I've lent them Pandemic, Once Upon a Time, Blokus, and Bohnanza, and I've
                    >> > given a recommendation for Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers.
                    >> >
                    >> > Does anyone have any other recommendations for games for them? Preferably
                    >> > 4-player ones that they can all play together.
                    >> >
                    >> > Also, they live on the North Shore (Swampscott, I think). Are there any
                    >> > newbie-friendly and kid-friendly game gatherings close to them?
                    >> >
                    >> > Thanks,
                    >> > Kevin

                  • lisa_hertel
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 25, 2013
                      Bohnanza ("The Bean Game") was popular with our kids when they were that age. Also Munchkin and Fluxx. Any of the Lego games are good. Monopoly, of course, and Life.

                      --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Jackson-Mead <jacksonmead@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > Asking this for friends of friends. They are a family of 4, with a
                      > 7-year-old and a 9-year-old and two parents. The games they have all
                      > enjoyed are:
                      > Chess
                      > Settlers of Catan
                      > Carcassonne
                      > Othello
                      > Labyrinth
                      > Stratego
                      > Set
                      > Hive
                      > Mancala
                      >
                      > The games that the 7-year-old has enjoyed but the rest of the family didn't:
                      > Ticket to Ride (don't know which version)
                      > Elfenland
                      >
                      > I've lent them Pandemic, Once Upon a Time, Blokus, and Bohnanza, and I've
                      > given a recommendation for Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers.
                      >
                      > Does anyone have any other recommendations for games for them? Preferably
                      > 4-player ones that they can all play together.
                      >
                      > Also, they live on the North Shore (Swampscott, I think). Are there any
                      > newbie-friendly and kid-friendly game gatherings close to them?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Kevin

                    • Jeffrey Henning
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 26, 2013
                        My 7-year old enjoys:
                        * Fluxx - Oz Fluxx and Pirates Fluxx, especially
                        * Battleship
                        * Monopoly Jr. (probably his favorite)
                        * Bang!
                        * The Sorcerer's Cave
                        * Lego Heroica
                        * Zingo!
                        * Quick Chess

                        Handy links:
                        http://boardgamegeek.com/plays/bygame/user/Jeffrey%20Henning/subtype/boardgame

                        - Jeffrey
                      • Paul LaRue
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 27, 2013
                          I have 4 boys ages 6,9,11,12 - they enjoy playing:

                          Transformers Risk
                          Dungeon!
                          Munchkin
                          Cribbage (yes that's right)
                          Castle Panic
                          Carcassone
                          Small World

                          Sent from my iPhone
                        • Kevin Jackson-Mead
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 27, 2013
                            Thanks for the recommendations, Paul!

                            Kevin

                            On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Paul LaRue <bppglarue@...> wrote:

                            > I have 4 boys ages 6,9,11,12 - they enjoy playing:
                            >
                            > Transformers Risk
                            > Dungeon!
                            > Munchkin
                            > Cribbage (yes that's right)
                            > Castle Panic
                            > Carcassone
                            > Small World
                            >
                            > Sent from my iPhone

                            > Groups Links

                          • matthew horn
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 29, 2013
                              Hick Hack in Gackelwack is a favorite of my 7, 9, and 11 year olds, and I
                              don't mind playing it myself.

                              On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Kevin Jackson-Mead
                              <jacksonmead@...>wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > Thanks for the recommendations, Paul!
                              >
                              > Kevin
                              >

                              > On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Paul LaRue <bppglarue@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > I have 4 boys ages 6,9,11,12 - they enjoy playing:
                              > >
                              > > Transformers Risk
                              > > Dungeon!
                              > > Munchkin
                              > > Cribbage (yes that's right)
                              > > Castle Panic
                              > > Carcassone
                              > > Small World
                              > >
                              > > Sent from my iPhone

                              > > Groups Links

                            • Karl von Laudermann
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 29, 2013
                                Yes, that's a good one; the English version is called Pick Picknic.

                                On Jul 29, 2013, at 6:23 PM, matthew horn wrote:

                                > Hick Hack in Gackelwack is a favorite of my 7, 9, and 11 year olds, and I
                                > don't mind playing it myself.
                                >

                                > On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Kevin Jackson-Mead
                                > <jacksonmead@...>wrote:
                                >
                                >> **
                                >>

                                >> Thanks for the recommendations, Paul!
                                >>
                                >> Kevin
                                >>

                                >> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Paul LaRue <bppglarue@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >>> I have 4 boys ages 6,9,11,12 - they enjoy playing:
                                >>>
                                >>> Transformers Risk
                                >>> Dungeon!
                                >>> Munchkin
                                >>> Cribbage (yes that's right)