Buttery Birthday Party, June 29 in Dorchester

  • Shirley Márquez Dúlcey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2013
      Buttery Birthday Party

      Note: this is not a gaming-only event but significant amounts of gaming happen.

      Once again, the end of June approaches, and that means another edition
      of the annual Buttery Birthday Party. This year is the 35th
      anniversary of the original housewarming.

      For those of you who don't know what this means, we'll be having a big
      party starting early in the afternoon (1 PM or thereabouts) of the
      last Saturday of June (that's June 29, 2013 this year), and ending at
      midnight or so. Exact ending time is when all the residents are
      totally exhausted, or we run out of food and drink, whichever comes
      first. (Hint: bring food and drink.)

      Known conflicts this year include Baitcon, the Old Songs Festival, and
      North Shore Pride. (Pride is a daytime event so you can come over here
      when it's done.) It's impossible to pick a date that doesn't conflict
      with anything, and I will proudly point out that our party is a longer
      standing tradition than any of those events.

      We'll have the usual collection of unusual people. Things that usually
      happen include games, music, and general merriment. The back terrain
      (we can't really in good conscience call it a yard) is available for
      games of challenging croquet. We provide some food, soft drinks, and
      beer, but we encourage guests to bring more of all of the above. (In
      general, our guests will sneer at Budweiser, drink good microbrews
      happily, and give special warm thanks to homebrewers; plan
      accordingly.) Don't bring hard liquor unless you plan to take any
      remains home with you; our collection is already large enough.

      Bring yourselves, your friends, your families, your children, games,
      musical instruments, food and drink, and anything else that will help
      make you and our other guests happy (and not make anyone unhappy). The
      Buttery is a non-smoking house, including the porch, so the
      nicotine-addicted among you will have to wander out to the sidewalk or
      yard. We have no pets, and would prefer that you leave yours at home.
      (Muriel's dog has a special dispensation from that rule.) Seeing-eye
      and other service animals are welcome.

      For more information contact Shirley (mark@...). Reply for directions.