Re: Thank you!

  • Andrew W
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 30, 2013
      --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "pldr" wrote:

      > I think Mark and Dave have raised some interesting points.

      And so have you, Pete!

      > It was breathtaking to walk into the main hall and see the sheer
      > multitudes of gamers ...

      I had hoped to be among those multitudes this year, but couldn't get away (from DC area, where I now live). I'll put UG XX on my calendar as soon as the date is set.

      I too have mixed feelings about the number of people attending. It's great to know that more people discovering this wonderful hobby. It's even better to know that the culture of being willing to teach games remains strong.

      But, like many other UGers, I am uncomfortable in crowds.

      > Once we grab a table and start playing, we tune out
      > the rest of the room...

      That sometimes happens. It depends on how noisy or shiny the nearby games and people are.

      > I also wonder if nostalgia is playing a role here

      I suspect that it is, but maybe not as much as another factor:

      > no more than 150 or so

      Is Pete's statement about the early size of a certain other convention. Hey, that's Dunbar's number:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar's_number

      Anyway, congrats to Adam and others for making the event scale so well. I hope to see it for myself next year!

      Andrew