UG XIX: Volunteers needed to Teach Games

  • Phil Alberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2012
      Unity Games XIX will be held at the Doubletree Hotel in Danvers, MA
      on Saturday Jan 26, 2013. Please see
      http://www.unitygames.org/ugxix/ugxix.htm

      I am once again coordinating the Teaching Area. This is an area
      where dedicated gamers teach popular games to anyone wishing to learn them.
      The goal is to have a specific place where new players
      or those-who-are-not-as-comfortable-jumping-into-the-main-fray can meet and
      ease into some relaxed gaming hosted by enthusiastic gamers.

      I am looking for volunteers to staff this activity. Specifically, I need
      people who can dedicate 2 hours and are comfortable at teaching games.

      So, why should you become a teacher? Well, it provides a chance to meet
      new gamers as well as an opportunity to share your passion for a favorite
      game. The only requirements to becoming a teacher are that you know the
      rules to your game of choice, that you are able to explain these rules to
      new gamers, that you bring a copy of the game with you, and that you play
      the game during your appointed time. Other than ensuring the game is
      taught at the appointed time, these requirements are not unlike those
      you'll be following anyway as you spend time at the event. There are no
      discounts or other benefits that are conferred on teachers; all I can offer
      is my genuine thanks.

      My goal is to staff 2-hour blocks between the hours of 9:30am - 3:30pm.
      Note the start time, which is set so as to allow time to check in and get
      settled.

      NOTE: If you do not want to teach, but have some suggestions of games that
      you would like see taught, please contact me and I will try to accommodate
      these requests.

      There is no set list of games to be taught -- you may indicate a choice of
      games, which should be playable in under 90 minutes and accommodate 3+
      players.

      I am looking for 9 - 12 volunteers. Please reply to me off-list if your are
      interested in participating in this activity. Please provide:
      1) Your gaming preferences.
      2) Your preferred 2-hour timeslot.

      Thank you, and I look forward to seeing everyone at UG XIX!

      - Phil

      --
      Eastern MA Gaming
      http://www.unitygames.org/

      important, not the winning."
      - Reiner Knizia

    • hotc@walterhunt.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 16, 2012
        Count on me, as always.

        > 1) Your gaming preferences.
        Anything not a party game and not a dexterity game. I also despise most
        Stefan Feld games, though I very much like Burgund and Trajan and would
        gladly teach either.
        Also, if you'd like to get an 8-some (I mean it!) I have a copy of
        VivaJava, the Kickstarter game, which is very good and works very well
        with 8.

        > 2) Your preferred 2-hour timeslot.
        Any.

        --
        Walter H. Hunt
        hotc@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 18, 2012

            You can put me down for Aeroplanes for 1:30pm.