Any Riichi Mahjong Players?

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2012
      A bit of a long shot... but just checking to see if anyone has:

      1) knowledge of

      and/or

      2) interest in

      Mahjong (no, not the solitaire game more properly known as Shanghai
      but the 4P game known as the Game of Four Winds).

      Specifically the style that has become very popular in Japan: Riichi
      Mahjong (aka "Reach" Mahjong)

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh0brmqq4sk

      I've been reading and studying everything about the game for some
      months now (even to the point of watching the Mahjong-famous Akagi and
      Saki animes). I've got about 100 practice games using various software
      programs (Mahjong Mobile for iPad, Kiwame D for Dreamcast and Konami's
      Mahjong Fight Club for the Nintendo DS) under my belt haven't had a
      chance to play face-to-face. I'm still very much coming to grips with
      the rules and strategy. I'm finding it a beautiful and elegant (and
      somewhat complex) game. I've got a Mahjong set of course.

      Anyway, email me (see below) if you are in the Southern MA / Northern
      RI area and are interested in either learning the game or playing. If
      there is enough interest, I'll put something together.

      email: daveber@...
      twitter: @davebernazzani
    • Todd Redden
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 2012
        I'm not a Riichi player but I play a lot of Hong Kong style Mahjong. Too
        bad I'm not from your neck of the woods, but I did teach it at Unity
        Games once. I used to travel from central CT up to Amherst MA to play
        with a bunch up there, but I'm afraid northern RI is just a little too far.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 21, 2012
          >I'm not a Riichi player but I play a lot of Hong Kong style Mahjong.

          Hey Todd - I suspect there will be some Mahjong action come UG19 :) I've
          actually heard from two couples so far which is more than I expected.

          Best,

          Dave