Re: Volunteering Help for Unity Games19

  • das_ninj4
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 27, 2012
      Working for the conventions I have in the past and other organizing other smaller events with hotels, I have always been able to negotiate the use of outside PA with their event services staff instead of what the hotel offers and not get charged for it. In fact most places have even asked whether I wanted to use theirs or if I was bringing my own.

      Catering requirements are a bit more difficult, but you can even negotiate out of those. But, the food vending service the hotels have been providing UG is useful.

      I am just putting it out there that you should not have to feel like you are locked into using what they provide.

      das_ninja

      --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Tery Noseworthy <nosegamer@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > You can't bring in outside PA equipment. Well, you probably could, but the
      > hotel would then charge you for the use of theirs anyway. That's how these
      > things work. They also don't allow outside food for the same reason - they
      > want you to use theirs. However, when I toured the hotel I specifically
      > asked about the PA system and they have a state of the art wireless system
      > that is already in the ballroom.
      >
      > The new space is really nice; it is quite a bit bigger, has good lighting,
      > easy access from outside (you don't have to take an elevator or stairs to
      > get to the space, and there is an entrance right across from the ballroom)
      > and they have a second large conference space in the facility should we
      > continue to grow as well as many conference rooms. The A/C also seemed to
      > work very well; it was very, very hot and humid the day we went and it was
      > very comfortable inside. Of course, there weren't 600 sweaty gamers in the
      > room. .. :-)
      >
      > Someone had asked earlier about the water park; it is immensely popular and
      > I believe run by a separate entity from the hotel, so I would imagine it
      > would remain open.
      >
      > As for a food/services list, I have that under control as I live on the
      > North Shore. The hotel itself will also provide food service (similar to
      > the past, although perhaps with increased availability) and has 2 sit-down
      > restaurants as well as a Starbucks/deli with pre-made sandwiches, pastries,
      > coffee, bottled sodas etc. that is currently open from 7 a.m. to at least
      > 10 p.m. and hopefully will continue under the new chain.
      >
      > All this talk about UG makes me want to play a game. Too bad I am at work!
      >
      > Tery
      >
      > On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Craig B <gilby123@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I may be able to help with food and additional hotel recommendations. Grew
      > > up in Peabody, MA.

      > --
      > "It was a dark and stormy nightmare." -Neil Gaiman

    • Tery Noseworthy
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 27, 2012
        Thanks, Das Ninha, but this is not our first rodeo. For what we are
        arranging and what we are paying, we are bound by the requirements of the
        hotel we are using. The PA system at the new hotel seems to be an
        improvement and until it is proven not to be there is no reason to incur
        additional costs or go to extra trouble. No one on the UG Steering
        Committee is interested in working with outside caterers, either. The food
        provided has always been adequate, and attendees also have option of bring
        small amounts of food for personal use from home, using one of the hotel
        restaurants or going somewhere else for food. The primary purpose of the
        event is gaming. I book a lot of conferences for work and have been
        involved in other conventions, and I've only ever seen one place that would
        let you bring in outside food, anyway.

        Teyr

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 27, 2012
          when is UnityGames19 being held and where? Thanks! Zeppo

          Zeppo Young
          Zo� Faye Foundation
          Managing Director
          (774) 482-0592

        • Tery Noseworthy
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 27, 2012
            January 26, 2013 in Danvers at the CoCoKey Hotel and Water Resort (formerly
            the Sheraton Ferncroft for those of you the area - and apparently soon to
            be a Doubletree).

            Tery

            --
            "It was a dark and stormy nightmare." -Neil Gaiman

          • Zeppo Young
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 27, 2012
              Thanks Terry. What's the possiblity of NSB Games coming along to set up a
              demo table to show their game hull breach!

              Best,

              Zeppo

              Zoë Faye Foundation
              Managing Director
              (774) 482-0592

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 27, 2012
                You can negotiate this - typically as long as you have one of their
                people check out the installation and make sure it works they're cool
                (my wife is involved in organizing doll conventions and this has been a
                big issue for them over the past few years).