Re: [Unity_Games] Re: New member

  • Scott Romanowski
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 9, 2012
      On 7/9/2012 10:00 PM, punkin312 wrote:
      > I wonder if we are talking about the same Civ. I think there are a few
      > games called Civ. I am talking about the one that is roughly based off
      > of the computer game. I have not heard of Advanced Civ. Is it fun?

      I'm talking about the Avalon Hill version. It was an expansion of the
      earlier Civilization board game. I think the computer game came out
      after the AH boardgame. Yes, I enjoy it.

      --
      Scott

      `-- c8 ]
    • Adam Smiles
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 9, 2012
        1980 Civilization by AH (followed by the Adv Civ expansion)
        1991 Civlization Computer game released (followed by many sequels and versions) - inspired by the boardgame
        2002 Sid Meier's Civilization the Board game by Eagle Games
        2006 Sid Meier's Civilization the Card game by 2K Games
        2010 Sid Meier's Civilization the Board game by Fantasy Flight Games

        > To: Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com
        > From: punkin312@...
        > Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 02:00:21 +0000
        > Subject: [Unity_Games] Re: New member
        >
        > I wonder if we are talking about the same Civ. I think there are a few games called Civ. I am talking about the one that is roughly based off of the computer game. I have not heard of Advanced Civ. Is it fun?

      • brosiuse
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 9, 2012
          --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "punkin312" <punkin312@...> wrote:

          > I wonder if we are talking about the same Civ. I think
          > there are a few games called Civ. I am talking about
          > the one that is roughly based off of the computer game.
          > I have not heard of Advanced Civ. Is it fun?

          The current Civilization board game is actually
          "Civilization the computer game the board game". Which
          seems circular somehow.
        • Craig B
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 9, 2012
            I recommend trying Through The Ages. It's a great Civ building game.

            Also, for places to play, check out Myriad Games in Salem, NH.

          • William Dickens
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 9, 2012
              Many game stores in the Boston area host game nights. If you live near
              Jamaica Plain, JP Comics and Games is the hub for a lot of board gaming
              that goes on in the JP area. Keep watching this list and you will see
              several announcements of gaming at a number of places around Boston. --
              Bill D.

              On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM, punkin312 <punkin312@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hey everyone!
              >
              > My name is Steph. I am looking to get more into the gaming scene. Does
              > anyone know of any good locations to meet up and play games in the Andover,
              > MA area. I travel from Bedford, MA to Andover all the time and into Salem
              > NH.
              >
              > I am really into Strategy games like Arkham and Civilization (has one
              > played Civ the board game?). I am really looking to play Civ more but there
              > are just so few people interested in playing it that it is hard to play as
              > much as I would like! Haha- anyways I am also really into 7 Wonders (who
              > isnt), catan, dominion and carcassonne. So many games I don't know that I
              > would like to know as well. I love to learn more about what other like to
              > play. Look forward to the group. Thank you!

            • Craig B
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 9, 2012

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 9, 2012
                  I recommend trying Through The Ages. It's a great Civ building game.

                  Also, for places to play, check out Myriad Games in Salem, NH.

                • Michael Taylor
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 9, 2012
                    +1 for Myriad, though I'm not certain whens a good night for open gaming
                    (Tuesdays maybe?)

                    On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM, Craig B <gilby123@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > I recommend trying Through The Ages. It's a great Civ building game.
                    >
                    > Also, for places to play, check out Myriad Games in Salem, NH.

                  • Ron
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 10, 2012
                      Hi Steph,

                      You should also check out the Suburban Outcast Gamers Yahoo Group:

                      This offshoot of the Unity Games group is concentrated in the northern and northwestern suburbs. One member hosts mosts Monday nights in Westford. Another hosts most Saturday nights in North Andover. Both of those groups play a variety of games.

                      Ron

                      --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "punkin312" <punkin312@...> wrote:

                      > Hey everyone!
                      >
                      > My name is Steph. I am looking to get more into the gaming scene. Does anyone know of any good locations to meet up and play games in the Andover, MA area. I travel from Bedford, MA to Andover all the time and into Salem NH.
                      >
                      > I am really into Strategy games like Arkham and Civilization (has one played Civ the board game?). I am really looking to play Civ more but there are just so few people interested in playing it that it is hard to play as much as I would like! Haha- anyways I am also really into 7 Wonders (who isnt), catan, dominion and carcassonne. So many games I don't know that I would like to know as well. I love to learn more about what other like to play. Look forward to the group. Thank you!

                    • punkin312
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 10, 2012
                        Hi Ron,

                        I will definitely do that! Westford and Andover are definitely my area! Thank you for the invite!

                        Steph

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 10, 2012
                          > 2010 Sid Meier's Civilization the Board game by Fantasy Flight Games

                          I didn't realize there were so many! I definitely have been playing the FF Game. <3 Fantasy Flight!
                        • IGiveIn@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 10, 2012
                            Yep. The HObby Bunker in Malden is open late (closing the registers at
                            8 but keeping the gaming area open until 10 PM or all gamers leave,
                            whichever comes first) on Thursdays and from 11-5 on Saturdays for
                            open or planned gaming.

                            There's a place in out near Andover that has twice-a-month games -
                            Battegrounds, I think?

                            Up in Danvers, Toys-N-Things usually has Sunday boardgames (they
                            preempted it twice for D&DNext playtests it seems).