Old issues of Dragon Magazine

  • mrhaleon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2012
      Kind of a random question, but I'm currently packing up my house to move back to Massachusetts and I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth it to haul my old back issues of Dragon Magazine back with me or not.

      There's certainly an aspect of sentimentality to keeping them, but I'm trying to be kind of cold-blooded about this stuff, since the sheer volume of junk we have has grown exponentially as we've added kids to our family.

      For an idea of what I'm talking about, I have probably around 100 back issues, ranging as far back as 1980 or so, with the bulk of them from the late eighties to late nineties.

      Anyone have any suggestions?

      And I'll note I have neither the time nor the interest to list them somewhere for sale individually or something like that.

      Thanks in advance!

      --Campbell
    • lisa_hertel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2012
        --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "mrhaleon" <haleon@...> wrote:

        > Kind of a random question, but I'm currently packing up my house to move back to Massachusetts and I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth it to haul my old back issues of Dragon Magazine back with me or not.
        >
        > Anyone have any suggestions?

        Though it means you have to bring them to MA, the New England Science Fiction Association will take them as a donation (as well as any other SF/F-related material), and you can deduct it from your taxes. www.nesfa.org

        -- Lisa Hertel
      • Clay Dreslough
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 11, 2012
          In 1993, I had a bunch of Dragon magazines from the 1980s that I took to
          a local gaming store and sold for cover price. At the time many of the
          issues were "listed" at being worth 2-3 times cover price, so they were
          happy to buy them, and I was happy to get rid of them.

          You may not have any luck with the above route these days, but I figured
          I would mention it.

          You said you didn't want to sell them "individually". Would you be
          willing to sell them in one big lot on eBay? I'm not sure if you're up
          for selling them as a group, and then going through the trouble of
          shipping them.

          You won't get as much money (gross), but you could try selling them
          locally on Craigslist and having the buyer pick them up.

          Also, there's a small store in my town (in CT) that sells stuff on eBay
          and takes a commission (I think it's 25%) so you don't have to do the
          work yourself.

          My best guess is that you'd be lucky to get cover price (or even half
          cover price). For example, these 24 issues are being sold for $1.25 each
          with free shipping:

          http://bit.ly/MBaksc

          You could probably donate them to a library or sci-fi/game convention
          (many of which are non-profit corporations) and get a writeoff equal to
          cover price, which might end up being as much as you would net if you
          tried to sell them.

          Clay

          --
          Live Gaming For Everyone!
          http://www.anstarra.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 11, 2012
            > You won't get as much money (gross), but you could try selling them
            > locally on Craigslist and having the buyer pick them up.

            I fear much of the market went away (except for the very early issues) when TSR released issues 1-250 as PDFs many years back.

            > You could probably donate them to a library or sci-fi/game convention
            > (many of which are non-profit corporations) and get a writeoff equal
            > cover price, which might end up being as much as you would net if you
            > tried to sell them.

            Wouldn't that be "current value", not cover price? When I donated some old VHS tapes to my local library for their book sale, I didn't deduct anything -- their current value is $0, not the $20 or so I originally paid for them.

            Scott

            `-- c8 ]
          • Clay Dreslough
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 12, 2012
              > > You could probably donate them ... and get a
              > > writeoff equal to cover price

              > Wouldn't that be "current value", not cover price?

              I'm not a tax advisor, but you are correct. I'm just thinking that since
              these actually are collectors' items, they might have a value equal to
              their cover price.

              --
              President, Sports Mogul Inc.
              cjd@...