Re: [Unity_Games] Game Complexity

  • Scott Romanowski
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 10, 2012
      On 3/10/2012 11:06 AM, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:
      > Acquire is a sometimes forgotten classic that is another good
      > candidate.

      I'd include Diplomacy in the list of simple games, but the playing time
      scares people off. Bulge '91, Dune, Gettysburg '88 and Merchant of Venus
      are simple games with short playing times.

      > It's true that we also have plenty of games that are more complex, such
      > as Dominion, Race For The Galaxy, and Agricola. Those aren't the ones to
      > spring on people who are new to the board gaming hobby unless they're
      > coming from other complex gaming communities such as collectible card
      > games or tabletop RPGs.

      Some friends and I have been playing ASL monthly at Myriad in Salem.
      Hopefully that will spur sales of the Starter Kits.

      --
      Scott

      `-- c8 ]
    • markgravitygood
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 10, 2012
        I usually walk into a room as say "Any one wanna play a boardgame?" and when I get a 'Yes' I bust out Advanced Squad Leader.

        The looks are precious and I've had to intervene on a few suicide attempts.

        :)
      • Craig B
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 10, 2012
          I've actually found that current and former Magic players embrace Dominion and other deck building games remarkably.

          As for new gamers, Settlers and Ticket to Ride still seem the best ones for Gateway games.

          - Craig

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 10, 2012
            Whenever anyone complains about a game I want to play being too complex I
            pull out my ASL rules (for those who don't know -- an encyclopedia sized
            binder) and put them on the table. The first question is always "Those are
            the rules? Where is the game? When I explain about the modules and how each
            one comes with MORE rules that normally shuts them up. ;-}

            On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM, markgravitygood <markgravitygood@...
            > wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I usually walk into a room as say "Any one wanna play a boardgame?" and
            > when I get a 'Yes' I bust out Advanced Squad Leader.
            >
            > The looks are precious and I've had to intervene on a few suicide attempts.
            >
            > :)

          • Clay Dreslough
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 11, 2012
              > Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride (both of which I
              > have taught successfully to 8 year old players)

              A agree that many 8-year-olds can learn to play these games. But IME
              they are too complicated for most 40-year-olds.

              :)

              I guess many of these are just the 'movie watchers' referred to above.

              --
              President, Sports Mogul Inc.
              cjd@...