Re: [Unity_Games] Game Complexity

  • Randy Brown
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 10, 2012
      I volunteer at the local Boys & Girls Club every week.  I endeavor to get the kids interested in board games, which is certainly tough in the face of video games and all the other distractions.  I've had enormous success with Dominion as an intro game.  I'd also call TtR and Carcassonne light or gateway games.

      What I've found is that the best games for beginners are games with evolving rules.  What I mean by that is games with very light basic rules, where the complexity is gradually folded into the game.  Dominion works well for this, because it isn't really important to know that much at the start of the game.  The starter decks introduce the concept of money and points.  You learn the rest of the rules one card buy at a time.  OTOH, the set up and shear amount of card text can appear overwhelming at first blush.

      Non-gamers usually approach a new game in a much different way than gamers do.  Gamers often want all the rules up front, and they hope to be competitive in their first play.  Non-gamers would rather get into the game more quickly.  If I can get a game started within five minutes, giving advice and complicating the game as we go from there, then I will usually have a successful game for non-gamers.

      Last night I went to an event organized by a friend of mine.  The event had a mix of gamers of various experience as well as non-gamers.  I arrived to find my friend trying to teach a non-gamer Play 9, which is a pretty basic card game.  She was flustered, and they had obviously been at it for a few minutes.  My friend asked me to sub in, so that he could continue his role as host of the event.  I told the woman that rather than confuse her further, we'd just play a couple of practice hands.  In this way, I could explain the game as we went.  This attracted another player, and soon we were ready to play a full game.  Later that night, I saw the woman playing a game of Quarriors.  She ended up winning.  Hopefully we've scored another enthusiast for our niche hobby.

      One extreme example of evolving rules is AH's Advanced Civilization.  I've had enormous success getting non-gamers into this 8-12 hour game.  I use the long play time to make a social event around the game.  I cook up something delicious for dinner, and stock the fridge with beer.  But it's the game's evolving rules that really make it easy to teach.  A player really doesn't need to know anything before starting.  Most of the rules only come into effect several turns into the game.  The first couple of turns teach players population expansion and movement.  Then Crete teaches players about ships.  Then cities are built.  A few turns later trading happens for the first time.  A couple of turns later we see the first calamities and civ card purchases.  By this time, players have learned pretty much all of the rules.  We can actually start the game with no expo.  The other reason I've had success with this mammoth game is that the trading
      phase makes the game a social affair.  This interaction is the same reason so many new gamers like Settlers.

      YMMV,

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 10, 2012
        On 3/10/2012 10:20 AM, photocurio wrote:
        > Dumbing down games to try to reach the movie watchers is futile..

        And unsatisfying for the gamer. I perfer meatier games and tried for
        years to get my friends interested in games that were even slightly
        meaty. I eventually gave up because it seemed that their attitude was
        "If Scott buys the game and learns to play it so he can teach us in ten
        minutes, I'll try it. But I won't buy a game Scott might like and learn
        it myself, or even read the rules to a game Scott bought. Oh, and if
        some sporting event is on, I'll want the TV on in the background as we
        play."

        *sigh*
        --
        Scott

        `-- c8 ]
      • E
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 10, 2012
          There's a big difference between "dumbing down" a game, and a simple game. The best example is Go. There are fewer than five rules, so you could start playing it in a few minutes. But you could study it for years and still only be an average player.

          That's why I like breaking out Cartagena. Play a card to move forward. Move back to draw new cards. That's it. Yet it's a game that requires thought.

        • Scott Romanowski
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 10, 2012
            On 3/10/2012 11:06 AM, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:
            > Acquire is a sometimes forgotten classic that is another good
            > candidate.

            I'd include Diplomacy in the list of simple games, but the playing time
            scares people off. Bulge '91, Dune, Gettysburg '88 and Merchant of Venus
            are simple games with short playing times.

            > It's true that we also have plenty of games that are more complex, such
            > as Dominion, Race For The Galaxy, and Agricola. Those aren't the ones to
            > spring on people who are new to the board gaming hobby unless they're
            > coming from other complex gaming communities such as collectible card
            > games or tabletop RPGs.

            Some friends and I have been playing ASL monthly at Myriad in Salem.
            Hopefully that will spur sales of the Starter Kits.

            --
            Scott

            `-- c8 ]
          • markgravitygood
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 10, 2012
              I usually walk into a room as say "Any one wanna play a boardgame?" and when I get a 'Yes' I bust out Advanced Squad Leader.

              The looks are precious and I've had to intervene on a few suicide attempts.

              :)
            • Craig B
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 10, 2012
                I've actually found that current and former Magic players embrace Dominion and other deck building games remarkably.

                As for new gamers, Settlers and Ticket to Ride still seem the best ones for Gateway games.

                - Craig

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 10, 2012
                  Whenever anyone complains about a game I want to play being too complex I
                  pull out my ASL rules (for those who don't know -- an encyclopedia sized
                  binder) and put them on the table. The first question is always "Those are
                  the rules? Where is the game? When I explain about the modules and how each
                  one comes with MORE rules that normally shuts them up. ;-}

                  On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM, markgravitygood <markgravitygood@...
                  > wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > I usually walk into a room as say "Any one wanna play a boardgame?" and
                  > when I get a 'Yes' I bust out Advanced Squad Leader.
                  >
                  > The looks are precious and I've had to intervene on a few suicide attempts.
                  >
                  > :)

                • Clay Dreslough
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 11, 2012
                    > Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride (both of which I
                    > have taught successfully to 8 year old players)

                    A agree that many 8-year-olds can learn to play these games. But IME
                    they are too complicated for most 40-year-olds.

                    :)

                    I guess many of these are just the 'movie watchers' referred to above.

                    --
                    President, Sports Mogul Inc.
                    cjd@...