Game Day at The Buttery (Dorchester MA) this Sunday, March 11

  • Shirley Márquez Dúlcey
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5 10:10 AM
      GAME DAY AT THE BUTTERY

      Our monthly series of game days is continuing. We will be continuing
      through May; the conflict with Lilac Sunday no longer applies as there
      will be no morris dancing there this year (boo).

      Although we had been starting at 1pm, the start time for March will be
      3pm. (The intent of the earlier time had been to make longer games
      possible but there wasn't much interest.) New games will start
      throughout the day so it's fine to arrive later if you want to.

      Who: Anyone who enjoys playing board games, word games, cards, chess,
      checkers, backgammon, silly games, etc.

      When: SECOND Sunday of each month, October through May, starting at 3pm
      and continuing until late. (Things usually break up somewhere between
      10pm and midnight.) This month, it's March 11.

      Where:The Buttery, Dorchester MA. Reply for directions.

      What: Games such as mentioned above. Your favorite games, if you bring
      them and others want to play. We have several tables for simultaneous
      gaming, including one large table. We also have plenty of floor space
      for games that need to spread out We can provide small rooms for
      Diplomacy negotiations or quieter gaming.

      Why: Just for the fun of it, of course!

      GROUND RULES:

      Absolutely no smoking! No animals other than service animals.

      We'll supply some soft drinks and chips. If you need your favorite snack
      or tipple to enjoy yourself, feel free to bring it -- but no hard
      liquor, please.

      Some time in the evening (usually around 6) we'll send out for pizza
      and/or other snacks. Be prepared to pay for what you eat. If you prefer
      you can bring your own food; we have a stove for cooking and a microwave
      oven for reheating.

      Well behaved children of all ages are welcome, but the house is NOT
      childproof. Children too young to join in the general games are
      encouraged to bring their own quiet amusements or books. Children who
      distract or annoy their parents and/or other gamers are not particularly
      welcome.

      Since the first games will form up about 3pm, arriving then will
      increase your chances of getting in on a game you like. If you're
      looking to play a long game (18xx, the Silverton campaign game,
      Civilization, Source of the Nile... and yes, we have all of those)
      you'll definitely want to arrive early, and perhaps recruit a few
      like-minded people before you arrive. If you can't come until later in
      the day you're still welcome; new games start throughout the afternoon
      and evening.

      Questions? Comments? Write mark@...