UPDATE to "Closet Cleaning sale"

  • matthew horn
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
      Sorry, folks, when I looked at my calendar I thought it said "April
      Fool's Day", not "Groundhog Day". My bad! Please ignore my original
      message until April 1.

      Gotcha! (or at least I got 35 of ya!)

      And Massey: shame on you for not calling bullshit! You should know better.

      matt

      On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:36 AM, matthew horn <danger4242@...> wrote:
      > I'm being forced to downsize my collection, so please take a look.
      > Prices are non-negotiable, so don't ask!
      >
      > Be sure to email me off-list.
      >
      > Cash or Check only, for pick up at UG on Saturday. No PayPal, please.
      >
      > Preference will go to people who order more games, but your speedy
      > reply is appreciated. Sorry for the short notice!
      >

      > $20 Games
      > =================
      > Antiquity -- played once, missing one chit
      > Goa (Rio Grande) -- new in shrink
      > 1861 Railways of the Russian Empire -- new in shrink
      > Whiskey Settlers (missing bottle of whiskey but otherwise complete)
      > Eclipse -- played twice; complete
      >

      > $10 Games
      > =================
      > All the $10 items are SPI games in sealed bubble packs:
      >  - The Ardennes Offensive
      >  - Battle for Stalingrad
      >  - Blitzkrieg Module System
      >  - The Campaign for North Africa
      >  - Napoleon at War: Four Battles
      >

      > $5 Games
      > =================
      > QuackShot motorized game -- missing one arrow
      > Roads and Boats &Cetera expansion -- unopened
      > Loopin' Louie (original large German edition) -- 2 extra chicken tokens
      > Funkenschlag (original ed) -- played once, but map is clean
      > Foppen (new in shrink)
      >

      > $FREE$ to a Good Home
      > =================
      > Alea magazine with Civ Eastern Expansion Map
      > Paperback book "Dice Games Properly Explained" by R. Knizia
      >

      > Thanks,
      >
      > matt
    • Nate Meyer
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
        Dude,

        Playing an "April Fools" joke on people when it's nowhere near April Fool's
        Day and then laughing at them because they "fell" for it isn't being smart
        or clever, it's just being an ___

        ...and it's probably a violation of the Unity Groups listserv policies (or
        it should be)

      • matthew horn
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
          Welcome to the Internet, sir!

          On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Nate Meyer <n8.meyer@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Dude,
          >
          > Playing an "April Fools" joke on people when it's nowhere near April Fool's
          > Day and then laughing at them because they "fell" for it isn't being smart
          > or clever, it's just being an ___
          >
          > ...and it's probably a violation of the Unity Groups listserv policies (or
          > it should be)
          >
          > On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM, matthew horn <danger4242@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > **
          >

          > > Sorry, folks, when I looked at my calendar I thought it said "April
          > > Fool's Day", not "Groundhog Day". My bad! Please ignore my original
          > > message until April 1.
          > >
          > > Gotcha! (or at least I got 35 of ya!)
          > >
          > > And Massey: shame on you for not calling bullshit! You should know
          > better.
          > >
          > > matt
          > >
          > > On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:36 AM, matthew horn <danger4242@...>
          > wrote:
          > > > I'm being forced to downsize my collection, so please take a look.
          > > > Prices are non-negotiable, so don't ask!
          > > >
          > > > Be sure to email me off-list.
          > > >
          > > > Cash or Check only, for pick up at UG on Saturday. No PayPal, please.
          > > >
          > > > Preference will go to people who order more games, but your speedy
          > > > reply is appreciated. Sorry for the short notice!
          > > >

          > > > $20 Games
          > > > =================
          > > > Antiquity -- played once, missing one chit
          > > > Goa (Rio Grande) -- new in shrink
          > > > 1861 Railways of the Russian Empire -- new in shrink
          > > > Whiskey Settlers (missing bottle of whiskey but otherwise complete)
          > > > Eclipse -- played twice; complete
          > > >

          > > > $10 Games
          > > > =================
          > > > All the $10 items are SPI games in sealed bubble packs:
          > > > - The Ardennes Offensive
          > > > - Battle for Stalingrad
          > > > - Blitzkrieg Module System
          > > > - The Campaign for North Africa
          > > > - Napoleon at War: Four Battles
          > > >

          > > > $5 Games
          > > > =================
          > > > QuackShot motorized game -- missing one arrow
          > > > Roads and Boats &Cetera expansion -- unopened
          > > > Loopin' Louie (original large German edition) -- 2 extra chicken tokens
          > > > Funkenschlag (original ed) -- played once, but map is clean
          > > > Foppen (new in shrink)
          > > >

          > > > $FREE$ to a Good Home
          > > > =================
          > > > Alea magazine with Civ Eastern Expansion Map
          > > > Paperback book "Dice Games Properly Explained" by R. Knizia
          > > >

          > > > Thanks,
          > > >
          > > > matt

        • Pitt Crandlemire
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
            Well, I look at this way. Antiquity goes for at least $200 and you were only
            asking $20. On the one hand, I know that's either a typo or a typical lame
            Horn attempt at a joke. On the other hand, it could also be a typical Horn
            screw-up. Since I have no problem taking advantage of you when the
            opportunity presents, I gotta make the effort. My only regret is that you
            weren't shooting up today...

            Pitt

          • Felix A Rodriguez
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
              So you're justifying yourself being a d*** because there's other people
              who are d***s in the internet? Wow. Sure. We'll go with that. I'm pretty
              sure the internet hasn't turned most other people on this list into
              a**h**** but what do I know.

              In any case, If you were going for funny, I'm pretty sure it's not. Not
              even offensive really, just a bland ho-hum - which is the worst.

            • E
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
                Heh. When I first saw the list, I thought Horn must need quick cash for drugs and was tired of blowing dudes at rest stops. Being the humanitarian I am, I looked to capitalize. Got me. Turns out Matt apparently has plenty of money for drugs. good for you Matt.

                And yes, it's definitely some sort of violation of the Unity Games policies. About his ninety-seventh one.

                ________________________________
                > Playing an "April Fools" joke on people when it's nowhere near April Fool's
                > Day and then laughing at them because they "fell" for it isn't being smart
                > or clever, it's just being an ___
                >
                > ...and it's probably a violation of the Unity Groups listserv policies (or
                > it should be)
                >
                > On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM, matthew horn <danger4242@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > **
                >

                > > Sorry, folks, when I looked at my calendar I thought it said "April
                > > Fool's Day", not "Groundhog Day". My bad! Please ignore my original
                > > message until April 1.
                > >
                > > Gotcha! (or at least I got 35 of ya!)
                > >
                > > And Massey: shame on you for not calling bullshit! You should know
                > better.
                > >
                > > matt
                > >
                > > On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:36 AM, matthew horn <danger4242@...>
                > wrote:
                > > > I'm being forced to downsize my collection, so please take a look.
                > > > Prices are non-negotiable, so don't ask!
                > > >
                > > > Be sure to email me off-list.
                > > >
                > > > Cash or Check only, for pick up at UG on Saturday. No PayPal, please.
                > > >
                > > > Preference will go to people who order more games, but your speedy
                > > > reply is appreciated. Sorry for the short notice!
                > > >

                > > > $20 Games
                > > > =================
                > > > Antiquity -- played once, missing one chit
                > > > Goa (Rio Grande) -- new in shrink
                > > > 1861 Railways of the Russian Empire -- new in shrink
                > > > Whiskey Settlers (missing bottle of whiskey but otherwise complete)
                > > > Eclipse -- played twice; complete
                > > >

                > > > $10 Games
                > > > =================
                > > > All the $10 items are SPI games in sealed bubble packs:
                > > > - The Ardennes Offensive
                > > > - Battle for Stalingrad
                > > > - Blitzkrieg Module System
                > > > - The Campaign for North Africa
                > > > - Napoleon at War: Four Battles
                > > >

                > > > $5 Games
                > > > =================
                > > > QuackShot motorized game -- missing one arrow
                > > > Roads and Boats &Cetera expansion -- unopened
                > > > Loopin' Louie (original large German edition) -- 2 extra chicken tokens
                > > > Funkenschlag (original ed) -- played once, but map is clean
                > > > Foppen (new in shrink)
                > > >

                > > > $FREE$ to a Good Home
                > > > =================
                > > > Alea magazine with Civ Eastern Expansion Map
                > > > Paperback book "Dice Games Properly Explained" by R. Knizia
                > > >

                > > > Thanks,
                > > >
                > > > matt

              • Pitt Crandlemire
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
                  > So you're justifying yourself being a d*** because there's
                  > other people who are d***s in the internet? Wow. Sure. We'll
                  > go with that. I'm pretty sure the internet hasn't turned most
                  > other people on this list into a**h**** but what do I know.

                  Easy guys. It's just Matt being Matt. If you can get past the fact that he's
                  a whack job he's actually fun to have around. Unless you're trapped in a
                  sub-compact w/ him for 12 hours straight. Schloth hasn't been right since...

                  Pitt
                • Dan Blum
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012

                    > > So you're justifying yourself being a d*** because there's
                    > > other people who are d***s in the internet? Wow. Sure. We'll
                    > > go with that. I'm pretty sure the internet hasn't turned most
                    > > other people on this list into a**h**** but what do I know.
                    >
                    > Easy guys. It's just Matt being Matt. If you can get past the fact that he's
                    > a whack job he's actually fun to have around. Unless you're trapped in a
                    > sub-compact w/ him for 12 hours straight. Schloth hasn't been right since...

                    You know, I've always wondered exactly what happened to Schloth.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
                      To be honest, I didn't care one way or another for his 'joke'. I just
                      though his justification for it was idiotic.

                    • redhill459@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
                        Once an offer is accepted it's a legitimate enforceable contract. Just because he took it back afterwards with some LAME EXCUSE .... doesn't really matter! A contract is a contract!

                        To be honest, I didn't care one way or another for his 'joke'. I just
                        though his justification for it was idiotic.

                        On 2/2/2012 11:37 AM, Pitt Crandlemire wrote:

                        > > So you're justifying yourself being a d*** because there's
                        > > other people who are d***s in the internet? Wow. Sure. We'll
                        > > go with that. I'm pretty sure the internet hasn't turned most
                        > > other people on this list into a**h**** but what do I know.
                        >
                        > Easy guys. It's just Matt being Matt. If you can get past the fact
                        > that he's
                        > a whack job he's actually fun to have around. Unless you're trapped in a
                        > sub-compact w/ him for 12 hours straight. Schloth hasn't been right
                        > since...
                        >
                        > Pitt

                      • matthew horn
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
                          Unity through gaming, my ass!

                          (With apologies to Walter).

                          :)

                          matt

                          On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Pitt Crandlemire <pittc@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > > So you're justifying yourself being a d*** because there's
                          > > other people who are d***s in the internet? Wow. Sure. We'll
                          > > go with that. I'm pretty sure the internet hasn't turned most
                          > > other people on this list into a**h**** but what do I know.
                          >
                          > Easy guys. It's just Matt being Matt. If you can get past the fact that
                          > he's
                          > a whack job he's actually fun to have around. Unless you're trapped in a
                          > sub-compact w/ him for 12 hours straight. Schloth hasn't been right
                          > since...
                          >
                          > Pitt

                        • Craig Massey
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
                            As an admin for the group, lets just let this go everyone.  Nothing productive is going to come out of ranting and raving.  Everyone back to your pre UG anticipation.

                            Craig W. Massey
                            cwmassey@...

                            ________________________________

                          • sromanowski@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012

                              redhill459@... wrote:
                              > Once an offer is accepted it's a legitimate enforceable contract. Just
                              > because he took it back afterwards with some LAME EXCUSE .... doesn't
                              > really matter! A contract is a contract!

                              I replied offering to buy some of his games, but it's not worth my time to follow up. I'll just write a filter so I never see an email from him ever again.

                              On the other hand, my post with the used AH games was legitimate. I still have the games and people are welcome to inspect them before buying; however, I will not sell to Matt.

                              Scott

                              `-- c8 ]
                            • hotc@walterhunt.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
                                > As an admin for the group, lets just let this go everyone.  Nothing
                                > productive is going to come out of ranting and raving.  Everyone back to
                                > your pre UG anticipation.

                                Agreed. I've moved on from "Unity through gaming . . . my ass!" With no
                                apologies to Matt.

                                Walter.

                                --
                                Walter H. Hunt
                                hotc@...
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
                                  Absolutely, Craig. What's really important to understand about all this is that everyone should bathe and use deodorant before coming Saturday. And don't forget gum or breath mints.

                                • Craig Massey
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
                                    So true.  Usually Mark Edwards chimes in before the event with this well timed reminder so thanks for stepping in.  See everyone on Saturday.

                                    P.S.  The charity auction is running this year.  Look for a post tonight highlighting some of the available lots and procedures for the auction. We have a lot of great stuff and the proceeds go to a fantastic local charity - the Greater Boston Food Bank.  So check out the post tonight and bring some extra cash to get some great games both new and old while in support the Greater Boston Food Bank.

                                    Best,
                                    Craig

                                    Craig W. Massey
                                    cwmassey@...

                                    ________________________________
                                    Absolutely, Craig. What's really important to understand about all this is that everyone should bathe and use deodorant before coming Saturday. And don't forget gum or breath mints.

                                  • Clay Dreslough
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 2, 2012
                                      >Sorry, folks, when I looked at my calendar I thought it said "April
                                      >Fool's Day", not "Groundhog Day". My bad! Please ignore my original
                                      >message until April 1.
                                      >
                                      >Gotcha! (or at least I got 35 of ya!)

                                      Douchebag.

                                      --
                                      President, Sports Mogul Inc.
                                      cjd@...
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 3, 2012
                                        I've tried to keep a low profile on the topic this year. I didn't want everyone to be paranoid about how they smell any time they come near me... then again I *do* judge you by your bodily hygiene, so there's that.

                                        See you all tomorrow!