Short notice Game Sunday at The Buttery (Dorchester MA) - October 9

  • Shirley Márquez Dúlcey
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2011
      Game Day didn't happen in September because I was still working on Star
      Island. But it's a new month, and somehow I just noticed that THIS
      weekend is the second Sunday. (It's just as well; the next two weekends
      are really busy!) To help lure you in despite the short notice, we will
      have home-baked chocolate chip cookies!

      GAME DAY AT THE BUTTERY

      Our monthly series of game days is resuming! We missed September due to
      stuff going on my our lives; sorry about that. For now it will be the
      SECOND Sunday of each month, not the third Sunday, though we may
      reevaluate the schedule after November. We plan to continue until at
      least April.

      We will be opening the doors at 1pm. New games will start throughout the
      day so it's fine to arrive later if you want to.

      Who: Anyone who enjoys playing board games, word games, cards, chess,
      checkers, backgammon, silly games, etc.

      When: SECOND Sunday of each month, October through April, starting at
      1pm, and continuing until late. (Things usually break up somewhere
      between 10pm and midnight.) This month, it's October 9.

      Where:The Buttery, Dorchester MA 02124. Reply for directions.

      What: Games such as mentioned above. Your favorite games, if you bring
      them and others want to play. We have several tables for simultaneous
      gaming, including one large table. We also have plenty of floor space
      for games that need to spread out We can provide small rooms for
      Diplomacy negotiations or quieter gaming.

      Why: Just for the fun of it, of course!

      GROUND RULES:

      Absolutely no smoking! No animals other than service animals.

      We'll supply some soft drinks and chips. If you need your favorite snack
      or tipple to enjoy yourself, feel free to bring it -- but no hard
      liquor, please.

      Some time in the evening (usually around 6) we'll send out for pizza
      and/or other snacks. Be prepared to pay for what you eat. If you prefer
      you can bring your own food; we have a stove for cooking and a microwave
      oven for reheating.

      Well behaved children of all ages are welcome, but the house is NOT
      childproof. Children too young to join in the general games are
      encouraged to bring their own quiet amusements or books. Children who
      distract or annoy their parents and/or other gamers are not particularly
      welcome.

      Since the first games will form up about 1:00 pm, arriving then will
      increase your chances of getting in on a game you like. If you're
      looking to play a long game (18xx, the Silverton campaign game,
      Civilization, Source of the Nile... and yes, we have all of those)
      you'll definitely want to arrive at 1, and perhaps recruit a few
      like-minded people before you arrive. If you can't come until later in
      the day you're still welcome; new games start throughout the afternoon
      and evening.

      Questions? Comments? Write mark@...