Game Day at The Buttery (Dorchester MA) is this Sunday, February 13!

  • Mark J Dulcey
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2011

      Our monthly series of game days is resuming! This year like last, it
      will be the SECOND Sunday of each month, not the third Sunday, until
      April. We're not yet decided about May. (The second Sunday of May is
      Lilac Sunday; Mark will be busy morris dancing.) We also recently became
      aware that the second Sunday in March is during PAX East so we may have
      to reconsider that date.

      We will be opening the doors at 1pm. New games will start throughout the
      day so it's fine to arrive later if you want to.

      Who: Anyone who enjoys playing board games, word games, cards, chess,
      checkers, backgammon, silly games, etc.

      When: SECOND Sunday of each month, September through April, starting at
      1pm, and continuing until late. (Things usually break up somewhere
      between 10pm and midnight.) This month, it's February 13; Friday the
      13th comes on a Sunday!.

      Where:The Buttery, Dorchester MA 02124. Reply for directions.

      What: Games such as mentioned above. Your favorite games, if you bring
      them and others want to play. We have several tables for simultaneous
      gaming, including one large table. We also have plenty of floor space
      for games that need to spread out, such as naval battles, Sorcerer's
      Cave (I don't think anybody has played that for years but we DO have
      enough room for it), etc. We can provide small rooms for Diplomacy
      negotiations or quieter gaming.

      Why: Just for the fun of it, of course!

      Absolutely no smoking! No animals other than service animals.

      We'll supply some soft drinks and chips. If you need your favorite snack
      or tipple to enjoy yourself, feel free to bring it -- but no hard
      liquor, please.

      Some time in the evening (usually around 6) we'll send out for pizza
      and/or other snacks. Be prepared to pay for what you eat. If you prefer
      you can bring your own food; we have a stove for cooking and a microwave
      oven for reheating.

      Well behaved children of all ages are welcome, but the house is NOT
      childproof. Children too young to join in the general games are
      encouraged to bring their own quiet amusements or books. Children who
      distract or annoy their parents and/or other gamers are not particularly

      Since the first games will form up about 1:00 pm, arriving then will
      increase your chances of getting in on a game you like. If you're
      looking to play a long game (18xx, the Silverton campaign game,
      Civilization, Source of the Nile... and yes, we have all of those)
      you'll definitely want to arrive at 1, and perhaps recruit a few
      like-minded people before you arrive. If you can't come until later in
      the day you're still welcome; new games start throughout the afternoon
      and evening.

      Questions? Comments? Write mark@...