Re: UG on Facebook

  • uniquenamessuck
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
      Great tips all. Thanks for your help.

      --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Adam Smiles <adamsmiles@...> wrote:

      > While it is possible that there may be a summer UG, it is not likely. The problem is that given the size of the event, we are now using facilities that often host weddings. In the winter, there is a much lower demand for the ballroom space. In the summer, the hotel would much rather host an event where they can serve everyone a $40 a plate sit down dinner instead of a $5 sandwich.
      >
      > Also as far as keeping in touch with the group, you can subscribe to the UG guild on the geek. It doesn't get much traffic outside of the big Unity Games events.
      >
      > -Adam
      >
      > > To: Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: shawn@...
      > > Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 20:18:01 +0000
      > > Subject: [Unity_Games] Re: UG on Facebook
      > >
      > > A few years ago you had at least two in the summer, which I also missed. I take it there is no plan for having more than one a year?
      > >

      > > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bernazzani <daveber@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > One other thing you can do is pretty much bet on it being the Saturday
      > > > on the weekend before the SuperBowl (TM corporate types). When it's
      > > > not this date, it's usually one week plus or minus. The announcement
      > > > always goes up 3 months in advance - so put a reminder in your
      > > > personal organizer to check the website in mid November and you'll see
      > > > the announcement on the front page.
      > > >
      > > > -Dave

    • Nate Meyer
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
        Speaking of summer sessions, I know that in Illinois (where I lived for the
        past 6 years) public schools have to make their facilities available for
        public use when the school isn't using them (because they are publicly
        funded and all). This is probably true for Massachusetts schools as well.
        In Illinois the groups that use them usually just have to pay for a building
        rep to open/lock up the school and oversee the event and sometimes pay a
        fairly reasonable rental/electricity use fee as well as follow school rules
        (no smoking, drinking, or real guns on the premises--foam guns, probably
        okay). If you are interested it would probably be possible to rent a public
        school's gym or cafeteria and tables for a summer session somewhere near the
        Boston area (or even better near Worcester!) for a reasonable amount. Just
        an idea since UG 17 was so awesome!

        --Nate

        On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Adam Smiles <adamsmiles@...> wrote:

        > While it is possible that there may be a summer UG, it is not likely. The
        > problem is that given the size of the event, we are now using facilities
        > that often host weddings. In the winter, there is a much lower demand for
        > the ballroom space. In the summer, the hotel would much rather host an event
        > where they can serve everyone a $40 a plate sit down dinner instead of a $5
        > sandwich.
        >
        > Also as far as keeping in touch with the group, you can subscribe to the UG
        > guild on the geek. It doesn't get much traffic outside of the big Unity
        > Games events.
        >
        > -Adam
        >
        > > To: Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com <Unity_Games%40yahoogroups.com>
        > > From: shawn@... <shawn%40ruyffelaert.com>
        > > Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 20:18:01 +0000
        > > Subject: [Unity_Games] Re: UG on Facebook
        >

        > > A few years ago you had at least two in the summer, which I also missed.
        > I take it there is no plan for having more than one a year?
        > >

        > > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com <Unity_Games%40yahoogroups.com>, Dave
        > Bernazzani <daveber@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > One other thing you can do is pretty much bet on it being the Saturday
        > > > on the weekend before the SuperBowl (TM corporate types). When it's
        > > > not this date, it's usually one week plus or minus. The announcement
        > > > always goes up 3 months in advance - so put a reminder in your
        > > > personal organizer to check the website in mid November and you'll see
        > > > the announcement on the front page.
        > > >
        > > > -Dave

      • Eric Barry
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
          That is pretty much what Eureka games does during the summer, albeit a small
          library setting with lots of children. :)