Re: [Unity_Games] Re: UG on Facebook

  • Tery Noseworthy
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
      Hi Shawn,

      The main source of information is the Unity Games list (the group you sent
      the list to). However, we will certainly update the Facebook group with the
      date of UG and other major announcements, so if you're on Facebook that
      should work as well.

      We do send an email announcing each UG; it goes out to the UG list. We'll
      also post it on Facebook now that we have a Facebook group.

      Tery

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
        One other thing you can do is pretty much bet on it being the Saturday
        on the weekend before the SuperBowl (TM corporate types). When it's
        not this date, it's usually one week plus or minus. The announcement
        always goes up 3 months in advance - so put a reminder in your
        personal organizer to check the website in mid November and you'll see
        the announcement on the front page.

        -Dave
      • uniquenamessuck
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
          A few years ago you had at least two in the summer, which I also missed. I take it there is no plan for having more than one a year?

          --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bernazzani <daveber@...> wrote:

          > One other thing you can do is pretty much bet on it being the Saturday
          > on the weekend before the SuperBowl (TM corporate types). When it's
          > not this date, it's usually one week plus or minus. The announcement
          > always goes up 3 months in advance - so put a reminder in your
          > personal organizer to check the website in mid November and you'll see
          > the announcement on the front page.
          >
          > -Dave

        • Adam Smiles
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
            While it is possible that there may be a summer UG, it is not likely. The problem is that given the size of the event, we are now using facilities that often host weddings. In the winter, there is a much lower demand for the ballroom space. In the summer, the hotel would much rather host an event where they can serve everyone a $40 a plate sit down dinner instead of a $5 sandwich.

            Also as far as keeping in touch with the group, you can subscribe to the UG guild on the geek. It doesn't get much traffic outside of the big Unity Games events.

            -Adam

            > To: Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com
            > From: shawn@...
            > Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 20:18:01 +0000
            > Subject: [Unity_Games] Re: UG on Facebook
            >
            > A few years ago you had at least two in the summer, which I also missed. I take it there is no plan for having more than one a year?
            >

            > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bernazzani <daveber@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > One other thing you can do is pretty much bet on it being the Saturday
            > > on the weekend before the SuperBowl (TM corporate types). When it's
            > > not this date, it's usually one week plus or minus. The announcement
            > > always goes up 3 months in advance - so put a reminder in your
            > > personal organizer to check the website in mid November and you'll see
            > > the announcement on the front page.
            > >
            > > -Dave

          • uniquenamessuck
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
              Great tips all. Thanks for your help.

              --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Adam Smiles <adamsmiles@...> wrote:

              > While it is possible that there may be a summer UG, it is not likely. The problem is that given the size of the event, we are now using facilities that often host weddings. In the winter, there is a much lower demand for the ballroom space. In the summer, the hotel would much rather host an event where they can serve everyone a $40 a plate sit down dinner instead of a $5 sandwich.
              >
              > Also as far as keeping in touch with the group, you can subscribe to the UG guild on the geek. It doesn't get much traffic outside of the big Unity Games events.
              >
              > -Adam
              >
              > > To: Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com
              > > From: shawn@...
              > > Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 20:18:01 +0000
              > > Subject: [Unity_Games] Re: UG on Facebook
              > >
              > > A few years ago you had at least two in the summer, which I also missed. I take it there is no plan for having more than one a year?
              > >

              > > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bernazzani <daveber@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > One other thing you can do is pretty much bet on it being the Saturday
              > > > on the weekend before the SuperBowl (TM corporate types). When it's
              > > > not this date, it's usually one week plus or minus. The announcement
              > > > always goes up 3 months in advance - so put a reminder in your
              > > > personal organizer to check the website in mid November and you'll see
              > > > the announcement on the front page.
              > > >
              > > > -Dave

            • Nate Meyer
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
                Speaking of summer sessions, I know that in Illinois (where I lived for the
                past 6 years) public schools have to make their facilities available for
                public use when the school isn't using them (because they are publicly
                funded and all). This is probably true for Massachusetts schools as well.
                In Illinois the groups that use them usually just have to pay for a building
                rep to open/lock up the school and oversee the event and sometimes pay a
                fairly reasonable rental/electricity use fee as well as follow school rules
                (no smoking, drinking, or real guns on the premises--foam guns, probably
                okay). If you are interested it would probably be possible to rent a public
                school's gym or cafeteria and tables for a summer session somewhere near the
                Boston area (or even better near Worcester!) for a reasonable amount. Just
                an idea since UG 17 was so awesome!

                --Nate

                On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Adam Smiles <adamsmiles@...> wrote:

                > While it is possible that there may be a summer UG, it is not likely. The
                > problem is that given the size of the event, we are now using facilities
                > that often host weddings. In the winter, there is a much lower demand for
                > the ballroom space. In the summer, the hotel would much rather host an event
                > where they can serve everyone a $40 a plate sit down dinner instead of a $5
                > sandwich.
                >
                > Also as far as keeping in touch with the group, you can subscribe to the UG
                > guild on the geek. It doesn't get much traffic outside of the big Unity
                > Games events.
                >
                > -Adam
                >
                > > To: Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com <Unity_Games%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > From: shawn@... <shawn%40ruyffelaert.com>
                > > Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 20:18:01 +0000
                > > Subject: [Unity_Games] Re: UG on Facebook
                >

                > > A few years ago you had at least two in the summer, which I also missed.
                > I take it there is no plan for having more than one a year?
                > >

                > > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com <Unity_Games%40yahoogroups.com>, Dave
                > Bernazzani <daveber@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > One other thing you can do is pretty much bet on it being the Saturday
                > > > on the weekend before the SuperBowl (TM corporate types). When it's
                > > > not this date, it's usually one week plus or minus. The announcement
                > > > always goes up 3 months in advance - so put a reminder in your
                > > > personal organizer to check the website in mid November and you'll see
                > > > the announcement on the front page.
                > > >
                > > > -Dave

              • Eric Barry
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
                  That is pretty much what Eureka games does during the summer, albeit a small
                  library setting with lots of children. :)