New Year at The Buttery (Dorchester MA)

  • Mark J Dulcey
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2010
      We have two big parties here every year. One of them is New Year's Eve
      and New Year's Day (and sometimes additional days, depending on what day
      of the week New Year falls on). This year New Year's Day is Saturday so
      things will probably continue until Sunday, but if you're thinking of
      coming over Sunday you might want to call first and make sure.

      The festivities begin around sunset on New Year's Eve. (People arriving
      earlier will be put to work getting the party set up.) The party always
      runs until at least late evening of New Year's Day, unless we run out of
      food and drink. (Hint: bring food and drink.)

      Because the roads are very dangerous on New Year's night (too many drunk
      drivers out there, and often slick roads due to winter weather), we
      encourage people to stay overnight at our house. Bed space is limited
      (and mostly reserved for out-of-town visitors) but we do have plenty of
      floor space available; bring sleeping bags and pillows. If you do need
      bed space contact us in advance and we'll do what we can. There are a
      number of houses of our friends within walking distance; if we don't
      have space here we might be able to set you up in one of the other houses.

      We'll have the usual collection of unusual people. Things that usually
      happen include games, music, and general merriment. We provide some
      food, soft drinks, and beer, but we encourage guests to bring more of
      all of the above. Don't bring hard liquor unless you plan to take any
      remains home with you; our collection is already large enough. And don't
      bring Budweiser or similar American beer (or, heaven forbid, light beer)
      unless you plan to drink it all yourself; our guests will mostly ignore
      it and it's not even good for making Fernando Stew.

      If you're not sure what to bring, give us a call or email for hints.
      Main dishes tend to be in short supply, and we usually have an excess of
      desserts; if your circumstances permit bringing a non-sweet main course
      or side dish, we will love you for it.

      Bring yourselves, your friends, games, musical instruments, food and
      drink, and anything else that will help make you and our other guests
      happy (and not make anyone unhappy). If your main interest is gaming,
      the prime gaming times are before 10pm and after 1am New Year's Eve, and
      between noon and 6pm on New Year's Day; although this party is not a
      gaming-specific event, lots of games happen. Opportunities for gaming
      are limited between 10pm and 1am because it's usually too crowded to set
      up tables.

      The Buttery is a non-smoking house, including the porch, so the
      nicotine-addicted among you will have to wander out to the sidewalk or
      yard. (And it's likely to be cold!) We have no pets, and request that
      you leave yours at home. Seeing-eye and other service animals are always
      welcome.

      If you don't know how to get here, reply for the link to the address and
      maps. If you get lost and need to reach us, call or text Mark at
      617-905-9126.
    • Shirley Márquez Dúlcey
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 17, 2012
        Note: this isn't a gaming-only event but lots of gaming does happen.

        New Year at The Buttery

        We have two big parties here every year. One of them is New Year's Eve
        and New Year's Day, and sometimes additional days depending on what
        day of the week New Year falls on. This year New Year's Day is
        Tuesday, so there will be no special extension of the party. There may
        be smaller gatherings for gaming and other social stuff on Saturday
        and/or Sunday before New Year's; please call or email us first.

        The festivities begin around sunset on New Year's Eve. (People
        arriving earlier will be put to work getting the party set up.) The
        party always runs until at least late evening of New Year's Day unless
        we run out of food and drink. (Hint: bring food and drink.)

        Because the roads are very dangerous on New Year's night (too many
        drunk drivers out there, and often slick roads due to winter weather),
        we encourage people to stay overnight at our house. Bed space is
        limited and mostly reserved for out-of-town visitors, but we do have
        plenty of floor space available; bring sleeping bags and pillows. If
        you do need bed space contact us in advance and we'll do what we can.
        There are a number of houses of our friends within walking distance;
        if we don't have space here we might be able to set you up in one of
        the other houses. The MBTA runs later than usual on New Year's night;
        according to their web site until "approximately 2am" but the actual
        schedule is not yet posted.

[...]

        and between noon and 6pm on New Year's Day. Opportunities for gaming
        are limited between 10pm and 1am because it's usually too crowded to
        set up gaming tables.