Re: UG XVII: Volunteers Needed to Teach Games

  • michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2010
      Okay. Unity Games is not the same weekend as TempleCon in 2011. Hooray! I will try to make it to UG and maybe even demo a couple of new games.

      --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Phil Alberg <palberg@...> wrote:

      > Unity Games XVII will be held at the Hilton Hotel in Woburn, MA on Saturday
      > Jan 29, 2011.
      >
      > I am once again coordinating the Teaching Area. This is an area
      > where dedicated gamers teach popular games to anyone wishing to learn them.
      > The goal is to have a specific place where new players
      > or those-who-are-not-as-comfortable-jumping-into-the-main-fray can meet and
      > ease into some relaxed gaming hosted by enthusiastic gamers.
      >
      > I am looking for volunteers to staff this activity. Specifically, I need
      > people who can dedicate 2 hours and are comfortable at teaching games.
      >
      > So, why should you become a teacher? Well, it provides a chance to meet new
      > gamers as well as an opportunity to share your passion for a favorite game.
      > The only requirements to becoming a teacher are that you know the rules to
      > your game of choice, that you are able to explain these rules to new gamers,
      > that you bring a copy of the game with you, and that you play the game
      > during your appointed time. Other than ensuring the game is taught at the
      > appointed time, these requirements are not unlike those you'll be following
      > anyway as you spend time at the event.
      >
      > My goal is to staff 2-hour blocks between the hours of 9:30am - 3:30pm.
      > Note the start time, which is set so as to allow time to check in and get
      > settled.
      >
      > NOTE: If you do not want to teach, but have some suggestions of games that
      > you would like see taught, please contact me and I will try to accommodate
      > these requests.
      >
      > There is no set list of games to be taught -- you may indicate a choice of
      > games, which should be playable in under 90 minutes and accommodate 3+
      > players.
      >
      > I am looking for 9 - 12 volunteers. Please reply to me off-list if your are
      > interested in participating in this activity. Please provide:
      > 1) Your gaming preferences.
      > 2) Your preferred 2-hour timeslot.
      >
      > Thank you, and I look forward to seeing everyone at UG XVII !
      >

      > - Phil
      >
      > --
      > Eastern MA Gaming
      > http://www.unitygames.org/
      >
      > "When playing a game the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is
      > important, not the winning."
      > - Reiner Knizia

    • Phil Alberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2010
        Michael -

        Thank you for volunteering to teach games at UG XVII !

        Please indicate which game you would like to teach, and your preferred (or
        un-preferred) 2-hr timeslot.

        I will be sending out an email message in January to confirm the schedule.

        Best wishes to you and your family for the holidays!

        - Phil

        On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 9:07 AM, michael <mceciliani@...> wrote:

        > Okay. Unity Games is not the same weekend as TempleCon in 2011. Hooray! I
        > will try to make it to UG and maybe even demo a couple of new games.
        >

        > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com <Unity_Games%40yahoogroups.com>, Phil
        > Alberg <palberg@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Unity Games XVII will be held at the Hilton Hotel in Woburn, MA on
        > Saturday
        > > Jan 29, 2011.
        > >
        > > I am once again coordinating the Teaching Area. This is an area
        > > where dedicated gamers teach popular games to anyone wishing to learn
        > them.
        > > The goal is to have a specific place where new players
        > > or those-who-are-not-as-comfortable-jumping-into-the-main-fray can meet
        > and
        > > ease into some relaxed gaming hosted by enthusiastic gamers.
        > >
        > > I am looking for volunteers to staff this activity. Specifically, I need
        > > people who can dedicate 2 hours and are comfortable at teaching games.
        > >
        > > So, why should you become a teacher? Well, it provides a chance to meet
        > new
        > > gamers as well as an opportunity to share your passion for a favorite
        > game.
        > > The only requirements to becoming a teacher are that you know the rules
        > > your game of choice, that you are able to explain these rules to new
        > gamers,
        > > that you bring a copy of the game with you, and that you play the game
        > > during your appointed time. Other than ensuring the game is taught at the
        > > appointed time, these requirements are not unlike those you'll be
        > following
        > > anyway as you spend time at the event.
        > >
        > > My goal is to staff 2-hour blocks between the hours of 9:30am - 3:30pm.
        > > Note the start time, which is set so as to allow time to check in and get
        > > settled.
        > >
        > > NOTE: If you do not want to teach, but have some suggestions of games
        > that
        > > you would like see taught, please contact me and I will try to
        > accommodate
        > > these requests.
        > >
        > > There is no set list of games to be taught -- you may indicate a choice
        > of
        > > games, which should be playable in under 90 minutes and accommodate 3+
        > > players.
        > >
        > > I am looking for 9 - 12 volunteers. Please reply to me off-list if your
        > are
        > > interested in participating in this activity. Please provide:
        > > 1) Your gaming preferences.
        > > 2) Your preferred 2-hour timeslot.
        > >
        > > Thank you, and I look forward to seeing everyone at UG XVII !
        > >

        > > - Phil
        > >
        > > --
        > > Eastern MA Gaming
        > > http://www.unitygames.org/
        > >
        > > "When playing a game the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is
        > > important, not the winning."
        > > - Reiner Knizia

        Eastern MA Gaming
        http://www.unitygames.org/