UG XVII: Volunteers Needed to Teach Games

  • Phil Alberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2010
      Unity Games XVII will be held at the Hilton Hotel in Woburn, MA on Saturday
      Jan 29, 2011.

      I am once again coordinating the Teaching Area. This is an area
      where dedicated gamers teach popular games to anyone wishing to learn them.
      The goal is to have a specific place where new players
      or those-who-are-not-as-comfortable-jumping-into-the-main-fray can meet and
      ease into some relaxed gaming hosted by enthusiastic gamers.

      I am looking for volunteers to staff this activity. Specifically, I need
      people who can dedicate 2 hours and are comfortable at teaching games.

      So, why should you become a teacher? Well, it provides a chance to meet new
      gamers as well as an opportunity to share your passion for a favorite game.
      The only requirements to becoming a teacher are that you know the rules to
      your game of choice, that you are able to explain these rules to new gamers,
      that you bring a copy of the game with you, and that you play the game
      during your appointed time. Other than ensuring the game is taught at the
      appointed time, these requirements are not unlike those you'll be following
      anyway as you spend time at the event.

      My goal is to staff 2-hour blocks between the hours of 9:30am - 3:30pm.
      Note the start time, which is set so as to allow time to check in and get
      settled.

      NOTE: If you do not want to teach, but have some suggestions of games that
      you would like see taught, please contact me and I will try to accommodate
      these requests.

      There is no set list of games to be taught -- you may indicate a choice of
      games, which should be playable in under 90 minutes and accommodate 3+
      players.

      I am looking for 9 - 12 volunteers. Please reply to me off-list if your are
      interested in participating in this activity. Please provide:
      1) Your gaming preferences.
      2) Your preferred 2-hour timeslot.

      Thank you, and I look forward to seeing everyone at UG XVII !

      - Phil

      --
      Eastern MA Gaming
      http://www.unitygames.org/

      important, not the winning."
      - Reiner Knizia

    • michael
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2010
        Okay. Unity Games is not the same weekend as TempleCon in 2011. Hooray! I will try to make it to UG and maybe even demo a couple of new games.

        --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Phil Alberg <palberg@...> wrote:

        > Unity Games XVII will be held at the Hilton Hotel in Woburn, MA on Saturday
        > Jan 29, 2011.
        >
        > I am once again coordinating the Teaching Area. This is an area
        > where dedicated gamers teach popular games to anyone wishing to learn them.
        > The goal is to have a specific place where new players
        > or those-who-are-not-as-comfortable-jumping-into-the-main-fray can meet and
        > ease into some relaxed gaming hosted by enthusiastic gamers.
        >
        > I am looking for volunteers to staff this activity. Specifically, I need
        > people who can dedicate 2 hours and are comfortable at teaching games.
        >
        > So, why should you become a teacher? Well, it provides a chance to meet new
        > gamers as well as an opportunity to share your passion for a favorite game.
        > The only requirements to becoming a teacher are that you know the rules to
        > your game of choice, that you are able to explain these rules to new gamers,
        > that you bring a copy of the game with you, and that you play the game
        > during your appointed time. Other than ensuring the game is taught at the
        > appointed time, these requirements are not unlike those you'll be following
        > anyway as you spend time at the event.
        >
        > My goal is to staff 2-hour blocks between the hours of 9:30am - 3:30pm.
        > Note the start time, which is set so as to allow time to check in and get
        > settled.
        >
        > NOTE: If you do not want to teach, but have some suggestions of games that
        > you would like see taught, please contact me and I will try to accommodate
        > these requests.
        >
        > There is no set list of games to be taught -- you may indicate a choice of
        > games, which should be playable in under 90 minutes and accommodate 3+
        > players.
        >
        > I am looking for 9 - 12 volunteers. Please reply to me off-list if your are
        > interested in participating in this activity. Please provide:
        > 1) Your gaming preferences.
        > 2) Your preferred 2-hour timeslot.
        >
        > Thank you, and I look forward to seeing everyone at UG XVII !
        >

        > - Phil
        >
        > --
        > Eastern MA Gaming
        > http://www.unitygames.org/
        >
        > "When playing a game the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is
        > important, not the winning."
        > - Reiner Knizia

      • Phil Alberg
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2010
          Michael -

          Thank you for volunteering to teach games at UG XVII !

          Please indicate which game you would like to teach, and your preferred (or
          un-preferred) 2-hr timeslot.

          I will be sending out an email message in January to confirm the schedule.

          Best wishes to you and your family for the holidays!

          - Phil

          On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 9:07 AM, michael <mceciliani@...> wrote:

          > Okay. Unity Games is not the same weekend as TempleCon in 2011. Hooray! I
          > will try to make it to UG and maybe even demo a couple of new games.
          >

          > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com <Unity_Games%40yahoogroups.com>, Phil
          > Alberg <palberg@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Unity Games XVII will be held at the Hilton Hotel in Woburn, MA on
          > Saturday
          > > Jan 29, 2011.
          > >
          > > I am once again coordinating the Teaching Area. This is an area
          > > where dedicated gamers teach popular games to anyone wishing to learn
          > them.
          > > The goal is to have a specific place where new players
          > > or those-who-are-not-as-comfortable-jumping-into-the-main-fray can meet
          > and
          > > ease into some relaxed gaming hosted by enthusiastic gamers.
          > >
          > > I am looking for volunteers to staff this activity. Specifically, I need
          > > people who can dedicate 2 hours and are comfortable at teaching games.
          > >
          > > So, why should you become a teacher? Well, it provides a chance to meet
          > new
          > > gamers as well as an opportunity to share your passion for a favorite
          > game.
          > > The only requirements to becoming a teacher are that you know the rules
          > > your game of choice, that you are able to explain these rules to new
          > gamers,
          > > that you bring a copy of the game with you, and that you play the game
          > > during your appointed time. Other than ensuring the game is taught at the
          > > appointed time, these requirements are not unlike those you'll be
          > following
          > > anyway as you spend time at the event.
          > >
          > > My goal is to staff 2-hour blocks between the hours of 9:30am - 3:30pm.
          > > Note the start time, which is set so as to allow time to check in and get
          > > settled.
          > >
          > > NOTE: If you do not want to teach, but have some suggestions of games
          > that
          > > you would like see taught, please contact me and I will try to
          > accommodate
          > > these requests.
          > >
          > > There is no set list of games to be taught -- you may indicate a choice
          > of
          > > games, which should be playable in under 90 minutes and accommodate 3+
          > > players.
          > >
          > > I am looking for 9 - 12 volunteers. Please reply to me off-list if your
          > are
          > > interested in participating in this activity. Please provide:
          > > 1) Your gaming preferences.
          > > 2) Your preferred 2-hour timeslot.
          > >
          > > Thank you, and I look forward to seeing everyone at UG XVII !
          > >

          > > - Phil
          > >
          > > --
          > > Eastern MA Gaming
          > > http://www.unitygames.org/
          > >
          > > "When playing a game the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is
          > > important, not the winning."
          > > - Reiner Knizia

          Eastern MA Gaming
          http://www.unitygames.org/