Thanksgiving at The Buttery (Dorchester MA)

  • Mark J Dulcey
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2010
      Note: this is NOT a gaming event. Many gamers will be here but we don't
      expect any gaming to happen at Thanksgiving.

      Madame Buttery is no longer with us, but one of our important traditions
      will continue: Thanksgiving at The Buttery, our celebration of the only
      national holiday dedicated to gluttony. As we have said in the past,
      this is a Thanksgiving for orphans, or "for people who have nowhere to
      go or don't want to go there". In other words, if you don't have a place
      to celebrate the holiday, or like the idea of celebrating it with us,
      you are welcome.

      Thanksgiving is a bit different from our other large gatherings. You
      need to let us know you are coming so we can plan. And it's not a pure
      potluck dinner; we ask everybody to bring a food or beverage, but we
      coordinate what people are bringing so we end up with a balanced meal
      and don't have ten dishes of cranberry sauce. We do the turkey and
      stuffing, though I may need to ask for guidance this year because Marian
      took care of those things in the past.

      We'll open the doors at 3pm. (If you come earlier we'll put you to work
      setting up.) We'll sit down to dinner somewhere around 4:30 or 5pm,
      depending on when the turkey is ready. We have two stoves with ovens
      (kitchen and basement) available for baking or reheating your dishes.
      After we're done with our gluttony, we usually sit around and talk for a
      while, and it all ends somewhere between 9 and 10.

      We're in Dorchester, just as we have been for the past 32 years. Contact
      me for directions.

      If you would like to come, please contact me in advance! If you know
      people who you think would enjoy Thanksgiving dinner here, feel free to
      pass the invitation along to them. You can call or text me on the phone
      (617-905-9126) or email me (mark@...). I need to know how many
      people you are bringing (and if you are bringing children, what ages
      they are) and what kind of dish you would like to bring. I may have
      suggestions if there are categories that are undersubscribed.
    • Shirley Márquez Dúlcey
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2012
        Note: this is NOT a gaming event. But we have regular game days here and
        some people on the list may be interested.

        One of our traditions continues: Thanksgiving at The Buttery, our
        celebration of the only national holiday dedicated to gluttony. As we
        have said in the past, this is a Thanksgiving for orphans, or "for
        people who have nowhere to go or don't want to go there". If you don't
        have a place to celebrate the holiday, or you like the idea of
        celebrating it with us, you are welcome. If you have a place to go but
        know people who do not, please forward this invitation.

        Thanksgiving is a bit different from our other large gatherings. You
        need to let us know you are coming so we can plan. It's not a pure
        potluck dinner; we ask everybody to bring a food or beverage but we
        coordinate what people are bringing so we end up with a balanced meal
        and don't have ten dishes of cranberry sauce. We do the turkey and
        stuffing; everything else is up to the guests. For the last couple of
        years I have used a Google Docs spreadsheet to keep track of who is
        bringing what; once I know you are coming I will send you a link.

        We'll open the doors at 3pm. (If you come earlier we'll put you to
        work setting up.) We'll sit down to dinner somewhere around 4:30 or
        5pm, depending on when the turkey is ready. We have two stoves with
        ovens (kitchen and basement) available for baking or reheating your
        dishes; the turkeys go in electric roasters so both ovens are
        available. After we're done with our gluttony we usually sit around
        and talk for a while, and it all ends somewhere between 9 and 10.

        We're at 24 Kenwood St in Dorchester, just as we have been since 1988.
        You can get directions at http://www.buttery.org/directions