[SR] Gaming while traveling

  • Judy Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2009
      We just came back from a trip to Europe with the kids. What do you do
      with inveterate board gamer kids in the hotel when they're tired of
      tourist attractions? You play board games... Which you bring without
      the box in order to fit them in the suitcase. You can get a
      surprisingly large number of games in a small space if you leave
      optional bits at home. Who needs the score board for Carcassonne? We
      took Dominion, including Intrigue, all 700 cards or whatever it is.
      Not this trip but a previous trip we brought Settlers. San Juan packs
      up really small. It's tricky, but we managed to play Dominion and San
      Juan on the airplane tray tables.

      Our crowning glory this time was to bring Eurorails. We couldn't
      resist, because we were TRAVELING twice on the rails, once from London
      to Paris, and once from Paris to Geneva. (Too bad Geneva isn't on the
      Eurorails board.) We photocopied the board and taped it together.
      Meant we could only play once, but that was enough for hack value.
      All we took was the route cards; the commodities and money we left at
      home and just kept score on a sheet of paper, crossing out commodities
      as they were delivered. We didn't keep track of whether we might run
      out of a commodity, but in a 3 player game that doesn't happen all
      that often, so we just ignored the possibility. My daughter dropped
      out after about half an hour anyway (this is fairly normal behavior);
      we just left her track and if anyone used it we'd pay the bank.

      It was a very close game. At one point, my son and I were both in
      Spain, both with $92, and both delivering cars and picking up oranges!
      Later, we both had about $180, he had $80 of commodities on his train
      ready for delivery, while I had only $55. So he looked the favorite to
      win. And then we drew Taxes, which made him need another delivery and
      I lucked out and drew a $40 delivery which I was able to make before
      he made his.

      This text and pictorial documentation (with an awful picture of me)
      can be found at
      http://www.olum.org/yduj/europe/eurorails.html

      It was a great trip in addition to the great gaming. A less geeky
      travelogue is at
      http://www.olum.org/yduj/europe/index.html

      Judy Anderson yclept yduJ 'yduJ' rhymes with 'fudge'
      yduJ@..., http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~yduj