Re: [Unity_Games] Re: Looking to try Combat Commander: Europe/Pacific

  • Bill Goode
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 12, 2009
      Just a "bump" for the subject, since there haven't been any replies in
      the few days since this. Also, I'm not sure that my initial reply ever
      actually got posted to Unity as it never showed up in my inbox...

      I live in Boston and am moving to Brookline next month. I don't have a
      car, so my travel options are limited by where the T and buses go.

      Again, I'd really like to give CC: E/J a try before dropping money on
      it, so if anyone is willing, drop me a line.

      Bill

      On Aug 9, 2009, at 10:47 PM, ScottH. wrote:

      > Hi Bill,
      > What area do you live in?
      > How far are you willing to travel?
      > Many of us have played CC:E, but where your located will make a
      > difference to who might be willing to teach a game and where you can
      > meet up.
      > ScottH.
      >
      > --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Bill Goode <goode.bill.p@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey all,
      > > Is there anyone out there who would be willing to let me try out a
      > game or
      > > two of Combat Commander: Europe or Pacific with them? I'm a fan of
      > card
      > > driven war games, and this one always catches my eye, since it
      > seems to be
      > > the general consensus best in that genre. That being said, the
      > price-tag is
      > > awfully steep at $65 for the base game for me to want to jump in
      > blindly.
      > > The rulebook is available on GMT's website, so I'll read it in
      > advance, you
      > > won't have to completely teach me the game. If you're looking for an
      > > opponent and willing to take on a newbie drop me a line.
      > >
      > > Bill

    • nix342
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2009
        Hi Bill,
        I host a monthly wargaming session but it's in Bridgewater...on the commuter rail, so you'd be able to get there, but we usually play late, so you probably wouldn't be able to get back. We love Combat Commander, though, and play it often. You can check out our guild on BGG at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/19 . Our next session is this Saturday.

        There's another wargaming group I know about, the Greater Boston Grogs. You could probably find an opponent there. Try their BGG guild for more info: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/33

        Good luck finding an opponent! Combat Commander is a fantastic game, one I enjoy tremendously. I'd recommend just going ahead and buying it, especially now when you get can a good discount if you buy direct from GMT. They're having their summer sale and you can get up to 50% off, depending on how much you buy.

        Nick