Front Table Support Needed - This time... with Incentives!

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
      Okay... what little charm and goodwill I built up with the UG
      community is long gone! I have not reached critical mass on getting
      enough front table volunteers. Perhaps I'm in the later stages of my
      Bloated-Elvis days. I don't really know. With 2 days to go before the
      big event, I'm forced to change tactics. Phil had no problems -- he
      calls out for 14 teaching area volunteers and he gets them with a
      single short sharp blast of his chipmunk-like whistle. I've had a
      harder time! We realize front table duty sucks compared to teaching
      -- since the teaching area still allows those volunteers to play one
      of their favorite games while the front table support does not. So...

      We're offering $5 discount to this event (that is, you'll get $5 back
      if you're already prepaid) if you volunteer for front table duty.
      Email me if you can help out in a 1 hour timeslot between 11AM and 4PM
      (last shift is 4PM-5PM).

      And even though the teaching area staff gets to play one of their
      favorite games, there is still a duty involved. So for you guys, we're
      working on getting you a prestigious "teachers" microbadge on the
      Board Game Geek for the effort. Stay tuned.

      Depending on the financial situation we are in after this event, we
      will try to offer similar or better incentives in the future as well.

      daveber@...
      www.unitygames.org
    • John Flood
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
        Dave,

        As a newbie I feel i must pay my dues, so put me down for a hour; 11-12 or 12-1 as I'm not sure If I'll be there all aft
        John.

[...]

        daveber@gmail. com

        www.unitygames. org

      • Bob Sumner
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
          Dave .........
          Phil takes showers, you don't
          Phil gets the volunteers he needs, you don't

          Sumner

          p.s. this is my way of getting back at Dave for a Mayo insult in a
          different forum
          and he does need to shower ... Evil Bob

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
            between 9 and 10, so if you volunteer with a friend you should be able to
            get in a two-player game at the registration table. Plus it is fun to deal
            with all of the non-UG attendees who walk up to the table, incredulous that
            there's a room full of 200 adults playing games.

            Tery

            --
            "It was a dark and stormy nightmare." -Neil Gaiman

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
              On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Bob Sumner <robertp.sumner@...> wrote:
              > Dave .........
              > Phil takes showers, you don't
              > Phil gets the volunteers he needs, you don't

              I don't get it.

              ;)

              > p.s. this is my way of getting back at Dave for a Mayo insult in a
              > different forum and he does need to shower ... Evil Bob

              Now, now... let's be honest. The other forum is our private discussion
              list for our bi-monthly Dungeons and Dragons group. Not that there is
              anything wrong with a 60+ year old playing D&D. And not that I can
              say much since we are playing in my Mom's basement.

              ps: you might think the above is a joke but it's not!! Well, except
              the part of playing D&D in my Mom's basement. We actually play in my
              basement. But I'm a responsible adult. Really. I cast magic missile.

              daveber@...
              www.unitygames.org
            • Walter H. Hunt
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:09:25 -0500, Dave Bernazzani wrote
                > Okay... what little charm and goodwill I built up with the UG
                > community is long gone! I have not reached critical mass on getting
                > enough front table volunteers.

                Dave: Count me in. I'll be at UG as close to 9 as I can manage.

                Walter.

                > We're offering $5 discount to this event (that is, you'll get $5 back
                > if you're already prepaid) if you volunteer for front table duty.
                > Email me if you can help out in a 1 hour timeslot between 11AM and 4PM
                > (last shift is 4PM-5PM).

                I'd do it without this.

                Walter H. Hunt
                hotc@...
                http://www.walterhunt.com

              • Mark J. Dulcey
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                  Dave Bernazzani wrote:

                  > Okay... what little charm and goodwill I built up with the UG
                  > community is long gone! I have not reached critical mass on getting
                  > enough front table volunteers. Perhaps I'm in the later stages of my
                  > Bloated-Elvis days. I don't really know. With 2 days to go before the
                  > big event, I'm forced to change tactics. Phil had no problems -- he
                  > calls out for 14 teaching area volunteers and he gets them with a
                  > single short sharp blast of his chipmunk-like whistle. I've had a
                  > harder time! We realize front table duty sucks compared to teaching
                  > -- since the teaching area still allows those volunteers to play one
                  > of their favorite games while the front table support does not. So...
                  >
                  > We're offering $5 discount to this event (that is, you'll get $5 back
                  > if you're already prepaid) if you volunteer for front table duty.
                  > Email me if you can help out in a 1 hour timeslot between 11AM and 4PM
                  > (last shift is 4PM-5PM).
                  >
                  > And even though the teaching area staff gets to play one of their
                  > favorite games, there is still a duty involved. So for you guys, we're
                  > working on getting you a prestigious "teachers" microbadge on the
                  > Board Game Geek for the effort. Stay tuned.
                  >
                  > Depending on the financial situation we are in after this event, we
                  > will try to offer similar or better incentives in the future as well.

                  Sure, I'll give you an hour somewhere. Any of the time slots other than
                  4-5 is fine with me (I might have to give my passenger a ride back to
                  the T during that one).
                • Bob Sumner
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                    some corrections about Dave and playing D&D at his house

                    1. Dave is NEVER the "responsible adult"

                    2. we only play in his basement on Hot and Humid days during the
                    summner

                    3. we normally play in his dinning room
                    .......... and we hope it has HEAT tonight

                    4. Jenn bakes great brownies :-) :-) :-) :-)

                    > Phil gets the volunteers he needs, you don't

                    I don't get it.

                    ;)

                    > p.s. this is my way of getting back at Dave for a Mayo insult in a
                    > different forum and he does need to shower ... Evil Bob

                    Now, now... let's be honest. The other forum is our private discussion
                    list for our bi-monthly Dungeons and Dragons group. Not that there is
                    anything wrong with a 60+ year old playing D&D. And not that I can
                    say much since we are playing in my Mom's basement.

                    ps: you might think the above is a joke but it's not!! Well, except
                    the part of playing D&D in my Mom's basement. We actually play in my
                    basement. But I'm a responsible adult. Really. I cast magic missile.

                    daveber@...
                    www.unitygames.org
                  • Mark Goodwin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                      You said: 1. Dave is NEVER the "responsible adult"

                      "responsible adult": Is that new character class? I'm guessing it's an elvish type with a beard and a penchant for a total lack of skulduggery whom often cites Chaucer as an answer to the question: "Are you gonna eat that?"

                      "My Whyte ahss ys laffyng gentlee"
                    • Phil Alberg
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                        I think that it is incumbent on each local gaming group to designate
                        someone to help staff the front desk, as Unity Games was originally
                        chartered to bring the local groups together, and staffing the front
                        desk is a small but welcome gesture for extending thanks to the
                        organizers of the UG event. Also, this is a chance for anyone to help
                        out at the event, and it is good way of meeting new people. No one
                        will be flying solo, so as Tery said there will be opportunities to
                        play 2player games while serving at the front desk. The one hour will
                        really go by quickly. So please help Dave in this endeavor.

                        Thanks,

                        - Phil
                        ...who may look like a chipmunk, but whistles more like a teapot...

                        --
                        Eastern MA Gaming
                        http://www.unitygames.org/

                        "But how do you plan for a bank full of nuns?"

                        important, not the winning."
                        - Reiner Knizia
                      • flashflood52
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                          Ok, which 2 player games should we pack: LOTR:TC?, Lost
                          Cities<G>,Kingdoms?, Gin Rummy?
                          JOhn

                          --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Phil Alberg <palberg@...> wrote:

                          > I think that it is incumbent on each local gaming group to designate
                          > someone to help staff the front desk, as Unity Games was originally
                          > chartered to bring the local groups together, and staffing the front
                          > desk is a small but welcome gesture for extending thanks to the
                          > organizers of the UG event. Also, this is a chance for anyone to help
                          > out at the event, and it is good way of meeting new people. No one
                          > will be flying solo, so as Tery said there will be opportunities to
                          > play 2player games while serving at the front desk. The one hour will
                          > really go by quickly. So please help Dave in this endeavor.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > - Phil

                        • Constantine
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                            in my case you may want to make that a less-prestigious "confusers"
                            microbadge.

                            --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bernazzani <daveber@...> wrote:

                            > And even though the teaching area staff gets to play one of their
                            > favorite games, there is still a duty involved. So for you guys, we're
                            > working on getting you a prestigious "teachers" microbadge on the
                            > Board Game Geek for the effort. Stay tuned.
                          • andada79
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                              Hi,
                              I'm really new to all this, but do you still need someone 3-4 or 4-5? I could do one or the other.

                              Annie Adams

                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 5, 2009
                                On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:45 PM, andada79 <andada79@...> wrote:
                                > Hi,
                                > I'm really new to all this, but do you still need someone 3-4 or 4-5? I
                                > could do one or the other.

                                Thanks for the kind offer Annie - we actually did get a full
                                compliment of people to help with the front desk today so we won't
                                need additional help. Thanks to all for the help getting all the slots
                                filled!

                                daveber@...
                                www.unitygames.org