Re: [Unity_Games] Math Trade for UG XV?

  • Terry Egan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2009

      Unity Games XV (Feb 7) is now just five weeks away - who-hooo! It's been too long! I can't wait!!!

      I was wondering if there's any interest out there in continuing the math trade tradition and, more importantly, if there are any masochistic volunteers willing to put in all the time and effort it takes to organize and run one (Jeff? Joe?). I always enjoy the UG math trades and the last couple have been very successful and a lot of fun, with participation growing each time. I'm definitely hoping a UG XV math trade materializes, and if so, that some of you fence-sitters give it a try ... it's a terrific, no-risk way to put together some nice game trades without shipping costs!

      Happy new year to all!

      -Terry

    • Clay Dreslough
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
        As someone new to the list who's never been to a UG event, I have to ask:

        What is a "Math Trade"?

        Thanks,

        Clay
        --
        Clay Dreslough
        President, Sports Mogul Inc.
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
          Often trading games are difficult becuase while you want what someone else has to trade, they don't want anything that you have to offer.

          Math Trades allow you to set up a chain where A gives a game to B, you gives a game to C, you gives a to D, you gives a game to A.

          Everyone gives and gets a game, but not necessarily with one person.

          Math Trades at large gaming events have become very popular, because you can remove the shipping costs, and trade a large number of games.

          For more details:
        • Adam Smiles
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
            http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Math_Trades

            --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Adam Smiles <adamsmiles@...> wrote:

            > Often trading games are difficult becuase while you want what
            someone else has to trade, they don't want anything that you have to
            offer.

            > Math Trades allow you to set up a chain where A gives a game to B,
            you gives a game to C, you gives a to D, you gives a game to A.

            > Everyone gives and gets a game, but not necessarily with one person.
            >
            > Math Trades at large gaming events have become very popular, because
            you can remove the shipping costs, and trade a large number of games.

            > For more details:

          • Jeff Michaud
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
              Yes, I definitely plan to run one very soon... there is a large
              International math trade going on right now that should be
              over with tomorrow (Sat Jan 3rd) so we should be starting
              the UG no-ship math trade around next week and let it run
              for a couple weeks. That should then leave enough time
              (two weeks) for folks with their untraded games to try to
              make direct trades or out right offer them for sale.

              Clay, I see Adam has already pointed you to the math trade
              intro wiki page at boardgamegeek. For anyone who is not
              already registered with www.boardgamegeek.com and may
              be interested in participating in the UG math trade to register
              (no charge).

              We'll also be using the On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) so even
              if you are already on boardgamegeek you may also want to
              login to that tool as well. More info at:

              http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/159648

              And for what it's worth, last year's UG math trade 129 game lots (most
              lots/items contain just one game but some have sweeteners). That
              math trade was at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/27558
              (129 wasn't a record, the UG-13 math trade was with 145 lots trading
              hands).

              And UG is only 5 weeks from tomorrow!!!

              Jeff

              At 04:13 PM 1/1/2009, you wrote:

              >Unity Games XV (Feb 7) is now just five weeks away - who-hooo! It's been too long! I can't wait!!!
              >
              >I was wondering if there's any interest out there in continuing the math trade tradition and, more importantly, if there are any masochistic volunteers willing to put in all the time and effort it takes to organize and run one (Jeff? Joe?). I always enjoy the UG math trades and the last couple have been very successful and a lot of fun, with participation growing each time. I'm definitely hoping a UG XV math trade materializes, and if so, that some of you fence-sitters give it a try ... it's a terrific, no-risk way to put together some nice game trades without shipping costs!
              >
              >Happy new year to all!
              >
              >-Terry
            • Joe Huber
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
                Terry asks:

                > Unity Games XV (Feb 7) is now just five weeks away - who-hooo! It's been too long! I can't wait!!!
                >
                > I was wondering if there's any interest out there in continuing the math trade tradition and, more importantly, if there are any >masochistic volunteers willing to put in all the time and effort it takes to organize and run one (Jeff? Joe?). I always enjoy the UG >math trades and the last couple have been very successful and a lot of fun, with participation growing each time. I'm definitely >hoping a UG XV math trade materializes, and if so, that some of you fence-sitters give it a try ... it's a terrific, no-risk way to put >together some nice game trades without shipping costs!

                I've sent a note to Jeff - since I think we'd all prefer to use Jeff's
                tool, I think it's Jeff's to run if he wishes to; I'm happy to do so
                otherwise...

                Joe