UG XV: Volunteers Needed to Teach Games

  • Phil Alberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2008
      Unity Games XV will be held at the Hilton Hotel in Woburn, MA on
      Saturday Feb 7, 2009. For more information, please visit:

      http://www.unitygames.org/ugxv/ugxv.htm

      I am once again coordinating the Teaching Area. This is an area where
      dedicated gamers teach popular games to anyone wishing to learn them.
      The goal is to have a specific place where new players or
      those-who-are-not-as-comfortable-jumping-into-the-main-fray can meet
      and ease into some relaxed gaming hosted by enthusiastic gamers.

      I am looking for volunteers to staff this activity. Specifically, I
      need people who can dedicate 2 hours and are comfortable at teaching
      games.

      So, why should you become a teacher? Well, it provides a chance to
      meet new gamers as well as an opportunity to share your passion for a
      favorite game. The only requirements to becoming a teacher are that
      you know the rules to your game of choice, that you are able to
      explain these rules to new gamers, that you bring a copy of the game
      with you, and that you play the game during your appointed time.
      Other than ensuring the game is taught at the appointed time, these
      requirements are not unlike those you'll be following anyway as you
      spend time at the event.

      My goal is to staff 2-hour blocks between the hours of 9:30am -
      3:30pm. Note the start time, which is set so as to allow time to
      check in and get settled.

      NOTE: If you have some suggestions of games that you would like see
      taught, please contact me and I will try to accommodate these
      requests.

      There is no set list of games to be taught -- you may indicate a
      choice of games, which should be playable in under 90 minutes and
      accommodate 3+ players.

      I am looking for 9 - 12 volunteers. Please reply to me off-list if
      your are interested in participating in this activity. Please
      provide:
      1) Your gaming preferences.
      2) Your preferred 2-hour timeslot.

      Thank you, and I look forward to seeing everyone at UG XV !

      - Phil

      --
      Eastern MA Gaming
      http://www.unitygames.org/

      "But how do you plan for a bank full of nuns?"

      important, not the winning."
      - Reiner Knizia
    • Phil Alberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2008
        Unity Games XV is only SEVEN WEEKS AWAY!!

        http://www.unitygames.org/ugxv/ugxv.htm

        I am still looking for volunteers to staff the Teaching Area. If you
        are interested, please send me an email message with the game you
        would like to teach and your preferred 2-hour timeslot.

        To help guide your selection, I have created a Yahoo database that
        lists the games taught at past UG events. This is by no means an
        exhaustive list of candidate games, but it does represent the types of
        games that are desired for the Teaching Area.

        I will also be teaching a game, but have not yet committed to a title.
        You can help me by voting for one of four titles via the Yahoo group
        polling facility. The four titles I'm considering are: Ice Flow, Key
        Harvest, Mordred, and Snow Tails. The poll closes on Monday 12-Jan.

        Thanks,

        - Phil

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2009
          LAST CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS

          If you are interested in participating in the Teaching Area at UG XV,
          please respond to me as soon as possible with the game you would like
          to teach and your preferred 2-hour timeslot. I would like to publish
          the Teaching Area schedule within the next couple of weeks. I
          presently have a dozen games on the docket, including some new titles
          and some old standbys. It would be nice if I could add three or four
          more games to the list.

          Are there any requests for games that should be taught in the Teaching Area?

          Finally, I'd like everyone's help in deciding which game I should
          teach. Please participate in the poll on the Unity Games Yahoo site:

          Unity Games XV is only FOUR WEEKS FROM SATURDAY!! I can hardly wait!!