[SR] MVGA Holliston 2008-08-28

  • brosiuse
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2008
      MVGA meets Thursday nights at 7pm in the
      east of the center of town. Turn north on
      Church Place (which is more a driveway than
      a street) to find parking.

      We welcome visitors.

      Roll call: Eric, Anton, Ian, Dan, Rich

      RACE FOR THE GALAXY
      (Eric, Anton, Ian, Dan)

      Eric and Anton were the first to arrive this
      week, and they started a game of Race for the
      Galaxy. Ian and Dan came in during the
      very first round, and we re-started the game
      so we could add them in. It was an unusual
      game with relatively light shipping, but Eric
      combined New Sparta with the Trade League
      to pile up enough VPs to surpass Ian's
      Pan-Galactic League engine. You don't see
      12 VPs earned from a single card very often!

      Final scores:

      Eric_ [NS] 37 = 9 VP + 23 cards + 5 (Trade League)
      Ian__ [AC] 34 = 4 VP + 18 cards + 12 (Pan-Galactic League)
      Dan__ [OE] 31 = 11 VP + 16 cards + 4 (Merchant Guild)
      Anton [EE] 25 = 8 VP + 9 cards + 8 (Free Trade Association)

      Eric's rating: 10.

      AGRICOLA
      (Eric, Anton, Ian, Dan, Rich)

      Rich arrived by the time we had finished our first game, and we yielded
      to the Agricola frenzy that is currently sweeping the gaming world. We
      may eventually see this game become another Puerto Rico, with expert
      players chastising beginners because they don't choose the "right" role,
      but right now it's wide open as we explore the possibilities.

      None of us plowed many fields (I get the impression that plowing and
      sowing are activities you appreciate more as you gain experience,) but
      other than that our strategies varied. Eric built 4 pastures and had all
      three animal types at the end, and Ian did almost as much in the
      animal husbandry department, but each of the others was missing one
      of the types. Anton, benefited by the Wooden Hut Builder, never
      upgraded from his wooden hut, but he was by the same token ahead
      most of the game in the family growth area, ending the game with 5
      family members (as did Rich.) Ian upgraded to a stone house, but he
      never touched a grain or veggie token, costing him many points.

      Rich scored well in the "normal" categories, but he trailed in the bonus
      VPs available for various improvements, and this allowed Anton to
      pass him for the win.

      Final scores: Anton 38, Eric 37, Rich 36, Dan 26, Ian 21.

      Eric's rating: 7. Agricola is a pleasant game, and the components are
      extremely cute, but it's not exactly my cup of tea. It's a bit Puerto Rico
      like, but I prefer Puerto Rico somewhat, and neither is among my very
      favorite games.

      RACE FOR THE GALAXY
      (Eric, Ian, Dan, Rich)

      Anton had to leave at this point, but we still had 4 players for a few
      more games of Race for the Galaxy. In the first game, Ian used the
      Galactic Federation to crank out the 6-cost developments and win by
      a landslide, despite the fact that he collected just one single VP chip.

      Final scores:

      Ian_ [OE] 47 = 1 VP + 21 cards + 8 (Gal Fed) + 8 (New Eco) + 9 (Gal Surv)
      Rich [NS] 38 = 4 VP + 21 cards + 4 (Merchant Guild) + 9 (Gal Imperium)
      Dan_ [AC] 32 = 14 VP + 14 cards + 2 (Mining League) + 2 (Pan Gal)
      Eric [EL] 29 = 9 VP + 20 cards

      Eric's rating: 10.

      RACE FOR THE GALAXY
      (Eric, Ian, Dan, Rich)

      Race is like potato chips; there's always room for one more. This time we
      allowed Dan to take all the VP chips (I don't know why we let him get away
      with it!) Dan's margin of victory was 17 VP, more than we usually see in
      this competitive group.

      Final scores:

      Dan_ [OE] 54 = 27 VP + 19 cards + 8 (Merchant Guild)
      Ian_ [AC] 37 = 10 VP + 14 cards + 8 (Free Trade Assoc) + 5 (Gal Fed)
      Rich [NS] 36 = 0 VP + 27 cards + 9 (New Galactic Order)
      Eric [EE] 32 = 4 VP + 16 cards + 7 (Alien Tech Inst) + 5 (Pan Gal)

      Eric's rating: 10.

      Eric Brosius