Re: Can of Worms

  • Jonathan Yedidia
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
      --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, Mark Edwards <dangermouse@m...> wrote:
      > Isn't it funny that the little "can of worms" concerning games
      people find offensive, that we opened and then closed just last week,
      has sprung up on RGB and on DIGers? Weird eh? Those worms travel in
      mysterious ways.

      > Mark

      I thought I'd bring this thread around to my favorite topic: Galaxy.
      You see, my wife unaccountably finds the theme of Galaxy (alien races
      warring to the death) offensive and wants me to buy
      Grand National Derby just so she can play that with my son and
      have pictures of horses jumping over fences rather than the fierce
      Kha'fajimmn (which my son loves BTW). On the other hand, she
      found the theme of Chrononauts so involving (she's a historian, and
      maybe that has something to do with it) that she was actually
      interested in playing it with me!

      Jonathan
    • Walter Hunt
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
        --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:
        > Mark wrote:
        > > Isn't it funny that the little "can of worms" concerning games
        people
        > >find offensive, that we opened and then closed just last week, has
        sprung
        > up

        Mailing lists and news groups are subject to cycles. I'm surprised
        that it's turned up there so close to our own ... Brush With Flame ...
        but unfortunately it's likely to come up again. Old timers in a group
        or list will often stay clear of such discussions, dismissing with a
        "oh, _that_ again" sort of comment.

        In any case, I was told that my dubious contributions to our own
        discussion could have been construed as sarcastic, so I let go of
        participation, and will recuse myself from such comments in the
        future. We certainly have other things to discuss.

        Walter.
      • AndAgainMA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
          I am so far impressed with how civilized the discussion on rec.games.board
          has been. But then, it is for the most part remarkably civilized for an
          unmoderated location on the internet.

          Once again, the article that uncanned the worms is:
          DISTURBING THEMES
          http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/DisturbingThemes.shtml

          I will resist the temptation to claim that my aversion to Ricochet Robot is
          based on my convinction that it depicts cruelty to robots. In fact, I think
          it's a lot crueller on me than on the robots.

          Andrew.
        • The Quivering Messiah
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
            Walter Hunt wrote:
            > Mailing lists and news groups are subject to cycles. I'm surprised
            > that it's turned up there so close to our own ... Brush With Flame ...
            > but unfortunately it's likely to come up again. Old timers in a group
            > or list will often stay clear of such discussions, dismissing with a
            > "oh, _that_ again" sort of comment.

            I'm brand new to this list, and I'm very glad you have that
            attitude. :)

            - Ben Peal
            fudjo@...