Re: [Unity_Games] Can of Worms

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
      Mark wrote:
      > Isn't it funny that the little "can of worms" concerning games people
      >find offensive, that we opened and then closed just last week, has sprung
      up

      Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. For those who do not read r.g.b. or
      SpielFrieks, here is the article:

      DISTURBING THEMES
      http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/DisturbingThemes.shtml

      This post is _not_ an effort to open the can back up :) I generally have
      little use for worms!

      dber@...
    • Jonathan Yedidia
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
        --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, Mark Edwards <dangermouse@m...> wrote:
        > Isn't it funny that the little "can of worms" concerning games
        people find offensive, that we opened and then closed just last week,
        has sprung up on RGB and on DIGers? Weird eh? Those worms travel in
        mysterious ways.

        > Mark

        I thought I'd bring this thread around to my favorite topic: Galaxy.
        You see, my wife unaccountably finds the theme of Galaxy (alien races
        warring to the death) offensive and wants me to buy
        Grand National Derby just so she can play that with my son and
        have pictures of horses jumping over fences rather than the fierce
        Kha'fajimmn (which my son loves BTW). On the other hand, she
        found the theme of Chrononauts so involving (she's a historian, and
        maybe that has something to do with it) that she was actually
        interested in playing it with me!

        Jonathan
      • Walter Hunt
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
          --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:
          > Mark wrote:
          > > Isn't it funny that the little "can of worms" concerning games
          people
          > >find offensive, that we opened and then closed just last week, has
          sprung
          > up

          Mailing lists and news groups are subject to cycles. I'm surprised
          that it's turned up there so close to our own ... Brush With Flame ...
          but unfortunately it's likely to come up again. Old timers in a group
          or list will often stay clear of such discussions, dismissing with a
          "oh, _that_ again" sort of comment.

          In any case, I was told that my dubious contributions to our own
          discussion could have been construed as sarcastic, so I let go of
          participation, and will recuse myself from such comments in the
          future. We certainly have other things to discuss.

          Walter.
        • AndAgainMA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
            I am so far impressed with how civilized the discussion on rec.games.board
            has been. But then, it is for the most part remarkably civilized for an
            unmoderated location on the internet.

            Once again, the article that uncanned the worms is:
            DISTURBING THEMES
            http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/DisturbingThemes.shtml

            I will resist the temptation to claim that my aversion to Ricochet Robot is
            based on my convinction that it depicts cruelty to robots. In fact, I think
            it's a lot crueller on me than on the robots.

            Andrew.
          • The Quivering Messiah
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
              Walter Hunt wrote:
              > Mailing lists and news groups are subject to cycles. I'm surprised
              > that it's turned up there so close to our own ... Brush With Flame ...
              > but unfortunately it's likely to come up again. Old timers in a group
              > or list will often stay clear of such discussions, dismissing with a
              > "oh, _that_ again" sort of comment.

              I'm brand new to this list, and I'm very glad you have that
              attitude. :)

              - Ben Peal
              fudjo@...