Can of Worms

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
      Isn't it funny that the little "can of worms" concerning games people find offensive, that we opened and then closed just last week, has sprung up on RGB and on DIGers? Weird eh? Those worms travel in mysterious ways.

      Mark

      "Ahh, humor you seek . . . fail you will!" - Yoda
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
        Mark wrote:
        > Isn't it funny that the little "can of worms" concerning games people
        >find offensive, that we opened and then closed just last week, has sprung
        up

        Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. For those who do not read r.g.b. or
        SpielFrieks, here is the article:

        DISTURBING THEMES
        http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/DisturbingThemes.shtml

        This post is _not_ an effort to open the can back up :) I generally have
        little use for worms!

        dber@...
      • Jonathan Yedidia
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
          --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, Mark Edwards <dangermouse@m...> wrote:
          > Isn't it funny that the little "can of worms" concerning games
          people find offensive, that we opened and then closed just last week,
          has sprung up on RGB and on DIGers? Weird eh? Those worms travel in
          mysterious ways.

          > Mark

          I thought I'd bring this thread around to my favorite topic: Galaxy.
          You see, my wife unaccountably finds the theme of Galaxy (alien races
          warring to the death) offensive and wants me to buy
          Grand National Derby just so she can play that with my son and
          have pictures of horses jumping over fences rather than the fierce
          Kha'fajimmn (which my son loves BTW). On the other hand, she
          found the theme of Chrononauts so involving (she's a historian, and
          maybe that has something to do with it) that she was actually
          interested in playing it with me!

          Jonathan
        • Walter Hunt
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
            --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:
            > Mark wrote:
            > > Isn't it funny that the little "can of worms" concerning games
            people
            > >find offensive, that we opened and then closed just last week, has
            sprung
            > up

            Mailing lists and news groups are subject to cycles. I'm surprised
            that it's turned up there so close to our own ... Brush With Flame ...
            but unfortunately it's likely to come up again. Old timers in a group
            or list will often stay clear of such discussions, dismissing with a
            "oh, _that_ again" sort of comment.

            In any case, I was told that my dubious contributions to our own
            discussion could have been construed as sarcastic, so I let go of
            participation, and will recuse myself from such comments in the
            future. We certainly have other things to discuss.

            Walter.
          • AndAgainMA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
              I am so far impressed with how civilized the discussion on rec.games.board
              has been. But then, it is for the most part remarkably civilized for an
              unmoderated location on the internet.

              Once again, the article that uncanned the worms is:
              DISTURBING THEMES
              http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/DisturbingThemes.shtml

              I will resist the temptation to claim that my aversion to Ricochet Robot is
              based on my convinction that it depicts cruelty to robots. In fact, I think
              it's a lot crueller on me than on the robots.

              Andrew.
            • The Quivering Messiah
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
                Walter Hunt wrote:
                > Mailing lists and news groups are subject to cycles. I'm surprised
                > that it's turned up there so close to our own ... Brush With Flame ...
                > but unfortunately it's likely to come up again. Old timers in a group
                > or list will often stay clear of such discussions, dismissing with a
                > "oh, _that_ again" sort of comment.

                I'm brand new to this list, and I'm very glad you have that
                attitude. :)

                - Ben Peal
                fudjo@...