[SA] Twilight Struggle anyone?

  • Bill Goode
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2008
      Hello everyone!

      I just played my first game of Twilight Stuggle today and... I am
      hooked. I must play again, soon, lol. Anyone interested in meeting up
      somewhere to play a game this Saturday morning/afternoon, or possibly
      some time during next week? If you're not familiar with the game here
      is the BGG link and the description from the WEBsite:

      http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12333

      "Now the trumpet summons us again, not as a call to bear arms, though
      arms we need; not as a call to battle, though embattled we are – but a
      call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle..."
      – John F. Kennedy

      In 1945, unlikely allies toppled Hitler's war machine, while
      humanity's most devastating weapons forced the Japanese Empire to its
      knees in a storm of fire. Where once there stood many great powers,
      there then stood only two. The world had scant months to sigh its
      collective relief before a new conflict threatened. Unlike the titanic
      struggles of the preceding decades, this conflict would be waged not
      primarily by soldiers and tanks, but by spies and politicians,
      scientists and intellectuals, artists and traitors. Twilight Struggle
      is a two-player game simulating the forty-five year dance of intrigue,
      prestige, and occasional flares of warfare between the Soviet Union
      and the United States. The entire world is the stage on which these
      two titans fight to make the world safe for their own ideologies and
      ways of life. The game begins amidst the ruins of Europe as the two
      new "superpowers" scramble over the wreckage of the Second World War,
      and ends in 1989, when only the United States remained standing.

      Twilight Struggle inherits its fundamental systems from the card-
      driven classics We the People and Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage. It is a
      quick-playing, low-complexity game in that tradition. The game map is
      a world map of the period, whereon players move units and exert
      influence in attempts to gain allies and control for their superpower.
      As with GMT's other card-driven games, decision-making is a challenge;
      how to best use one's cards and units given consistently limited
      resources?

      Twilight Struggles' Event cards add detail and flavor to the game.
      They cover a vast array of historical happenings, from the Arab-
      Israeli conflicts of 1948 and 1967, to Vietnam and the U.S. peace
      movement, to the Cuban Missile Crisis and other such incidents that
      brought the world to the brink of nuclear annihilation. Subsystems
      capture the prestige-laden Space Race as well as nuclear tensions,
      with the possibility of game-ending nuclear war.

      The game system itself is not too hard to learn, but there is quite a
      bit of depth the the decision making and what you need to be paying
      attention to while playing. If you've played 1960: The Making of a
      President it won't be too tough to learn because both games (same
      designer) use similar systems. I'm more than happy to teach how to play.

      I live in Boston, and don't have a car. Basically I can meet up
      anywhere that is "T" accessible. I would host, but I do not have a
      good place for gaming in my apartment, no room for a large table :(.

      Lemme know if you're interested!

      Bill