Re: [Unity_Games] Y2k Comments and Figures

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
      Craig wrote:
      > Y2K Games - A Weasel's Year in Review
      > The end of the year comes around and all of a sudden,
      > everyone feels the need to compile lists of the best
      > and worst, recaps of the year's events, deep
      > introspection of another year in the life, and so on.
      > Part of me wants to ignore these stories and articles,
      > but I just can't so instead I decided to write my own
      > and inflict it upon everyone reading the list.
      > Besides, I had plenty of time on vacation to put pen
      > to paper so to speak.
      >
      > Let's get right down to brass tacks and the hard cold
      > facts.

      I've actually put mine on a webpage :)

      http://www.wavemotion.bizland.com/Games2000.htm

      For those who find this sort of tracking a bit too much (!!) I'll just
      report that I played 181 different games in 2000 and a total of 567 games.

      As for 2000 games, my gut feel is that the 2000 games are, on average,
      slightly better than the 1999 released games and not as good as 1998 or 1997
      released games.

      Big winners (IMO) of 2000:

      Carcassonne
      Die F├╝rsten von Florenz
      Metro
      Battle Cry
      Lord of the Rings
      Web of Power
      Taj Mahal
      Zertz

      dber@...
    • Walter Hunt
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
        --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, Craig Massey <cwmassey@y...> wrote:

        > 2. Roads & Boats - now that I finally have my copy put
        > together and the rules read, I'm dying to play it.

        By the way, I went to Wal*Mart and bought a small plastic tackle box
        to organize the Roads & Boats components. It's almost Bernazzaniesque
        in its elegance, and I recommend it. (Careful Dave, that's a
        compliment...)

        I'm considering the possibility of a Roads & Boats evening at MVGA
        sometime this month. I can't justify a visit to SSG until I deliver my
        novel rewrite on January 19, so if you or anyone else on the list
        would like to play this game, would you consider coming out to
        Holliston?

        > 4. Trying to beat Rich Meyer at any game (also a NYR)

        By the way, I make this resolution every year.

        And regarding Dave and Carcassonne, at least he's promoting a damn
        fine game. I seem to really suck at it, but I'm eager to play again.

        > That's all for now - Happy New Year to everyone.
        >
        > Craig

        And welcome back !

        Walter.
      • Matthew Horn
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
          >>I'm considering the possibility of a Roads & Boats evening at MVGA
          >>sometime this month.

          Count me in for that!

          Oh, and my resolution is to be more like *South* Korea this year. That and
          practice Ricochet Robot.
        • Mark Edwards
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
            Walter Hunt wrote:

            > > 4. Trying to beat Rich Meyer at any game (also a NYR)
            >
            > By the way, I make this resolution every year.

            You know what I'd like to see sometime this year? Rich M, Andy L, Rich Z (one of my GSGers) and Jonathan play a game or three of T&E, Acquire, Modern Art, Tichu or something together. Just to see who'd win. And while we're at it, throw in Aaron F, Brian T, Jenn, Alison, David H and Dave R. All these folks have always struck me as very sharp gamers.
            Oh yeah, toss Dave B, Joe M, and Craig into those game sessions also. Just so they can get their arses kicked up and down the game board. ;-)

            Mark

            "Ahh, humor you seek . . . fail you will!" - Yoda
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
              Mark Edwards wrote:

              >Oh yeah, toss Dave B, Joe M, and Craig into those
              >game sessions also. Just so they can get their arses
              >kicked up and down the game board. ;-)

              In my case, this is likely quite true!!

              I tend to do poorly in games that are helped by having a good memory. Also
              difficult are games that require any significant min/maxing. That doesn't
              mean I don't enjoy the games - so long as they are still enjoyable
              regardless of what order I finish in.

              I love Modern Art, and really enjoy hawking the paintings and the general
              laughter and banter at the table. But I'll admit that I'll almost always
              lose this type of game to a "Jonathan" or an "Andy" simply because I use
              seat-of-the-pants tactics! I guess this is why I prefer games with a
              modicum of luck - gives me a fighting chance!

              BTW - Mark, you're mostly in this last category too! hehheh...

              dber@...
            • Mark Edwards
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
                Dave Bernazzani wrote:

                > BTW - Mark, you're mostly in this last category too! hehheh...

                Don't I know it!

                I also know that in a hard fought well thought out and contested game between me, you, Joe, and Craig I'd probably lose. But only because one of you bastards would get lucky! Heheheheh.

                Mark

                "Ahh, humor you seek . . . fail you will!" - Yoda
              • Craig Massey
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
                  --- Mark Edwards <dangermouse@...> wrote:
                  > You know what I'd like to see sometime this
                  > year? Rich M, Andy L, Rich Z (one of my GSGers)
                  > and Jonathan play a game or three of T&E, Acquire,
                  > Modern Art, Tichu or something together. Just to
                  > see who'd win.

                  Noone would win, they would all spontaneously combust
                  along with the game.

                  > Oh yeah, toss Dave B, Joe M, and Craig into
                  > those game sessions also. Just so they can get
                  > their arses kicked up and down the game board. ;-)

                  Nothing like starting out the year with a goodly
                  amount of smacktalk - no surprise that it is from mr.
                  edwards. Looks like 2001 will be the year of the
                  weasel.

                  =====
                  Craig W. Massey
                  cwmassey@...

                  http://photos.yahoo.com/
                • Craig Massey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
                    --- Mark Edwards <dangermouse@...> wrote:

                    > I also know that in a hard fought well thought
                    > out and contested game between me, you, Joe, and
                    > Craig I'd probably lose. But only because one of
                    > you bastards would get lucky! Heheheheh.
                    >
                    > Mark

                    Well, we would certainly conspire to keep you in your
                    proper place, but you know, the game would be damn
                    funny.

                    Maybe if we use our collective super powers (what
                    those are I don't really know), we could take Jonathan
                    and company out

                    =====
                    Craig W. Massey
                    cwmassey@...

                    http://photos.yahoo.com/
                  • Dan Cashmore
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
                      Craig Massey somehow got it in his head to say:
                      > 3. Smacking Diamond Dan Cashmore around at Liar's dice
                      > (that's actually a new year's resolution!)

                      Alas, Grasshopper, have you not yet learned that such foolish boasts will
                      only earn you even greater defeats?