Re: Rage - What's all the Rage about?

  • Jonathan Yedidia
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
      --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:
      > OK - as far as I know, Rage only got played once at the South Shore
      Gamers.
      > I don't remember reading about it being played at any other local
      groups
      > recently. But at Funagain, the praise couldn't be any better with
      people
      > claiming it to be fantastic - it's always in stock and then sold
      out
      within
      > a few weeks. I didn't sit at the Rage table but there were lots of
      > grumblings and such and none seemed to want to play it again. Any
      chance
      > you guys got the rules wrong and just missed the game? Or was it
      that bad?

      I find the whole Rage on Funagain thing very strange. There seems
      to be some weird cycle where people buy it because it's a cheap
      best-seller, which makes other people buy it. Then a few must like
      it, and post their praise. I think Aaron Fuegi's top 100 list is
      a more reliable indicator of the worth of games than the reviews
      at Funagain. Rage ranks #645 there with an average rating of 5.55
      from 11 voters (compared to Oh Hell which ranks #134 with an
      average of 6.47 from 34 voters).

      I was at the Rage table at SSG and
      I really don't think we got the rules wrong. We double-checked
      because we were surprised the game was so bad. The consensus was
      that it was a bad Oh Hell variant. Wizard is a better Oh Hell
      variant (ranking #175 with an average of 6.29 from 35 voters on
      Aaron's list), if you want to play one.
    • Alison Hansel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001
        > --- Dave B wrote:
        > Rage snippage...

        > --- Craig wrote:
        > I'm very puzzled about this game.

        > Hmmm, looking at the ratings gives me some insight....
        > so seeing a 5 and 5.5 from
        > the Hansels doesn't speak very well for Rage at all
        > and I suspect, my rating would max out there as well.
        > Alison any comments on Rage?

        Yeah, we didn't like Rage at all. It is a mystery to me why this
        game is so popular. We speculated that maybe many people just have
        never played Oh Hell or one if its many variants and that basic
        idea is what really interests them. Or perhaps they have played
        such games but find them too challenging and want total randomness
        added into the mix.

        David and I really enjoy Wizard (that was my first introduction to
        such games) and were very disappointed to see how the special cards
        in Rage affected game play. The idea of being able to change the
        value of a trick or change the trump is interesting, but you can only
        play special cards when you could play a trump, so you can't ever do
        anything to your own benefit, really. Plus the trump changing thing
        is totally random, you just turn over the next card of the deck. You
        don't even get to pick it, like Crazy Eights or something! And it
        stays trump through remaining tricks. That part reminded me of
        Trumpet (another game which was real popular) which we didn't like
        very much either. Why have a trick taking game with trumps and then
        change trump every minute????????

        I'm also sorry to say that I really don't think we got a rule wrong.
        I wish it were so! We did only have the German rules, but David was
        overseeing the on-site rules translation.

        So, Rage is definitely not something I would want to play again,
        especially given that there are so many other good Oh Hell variants
        available.

        But maybe someone has other insights??

        --Alison