Rage - What's all the Rage about?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
      OK - as far as I know, Rage only got played once at the South Shore Gamers.
      I don't remember reading about it being played at any other local groups
      recently. But at Funagain, the praise couldn't be any better with people
      claiming it to be fantastic - it's always in stock and then sold out within
      a few weeks. I didn't sit at the Rage table but there were lots of
      grumblings and such and none seemed to want to play it again. Any chance
      you guys got the rules wrong and just missed the game? Or was it that bad?

      Here is the excerpt from the session report I wrote a while back:

      Rage Details: My understanding is this did not go over very well. Ratings
      were very poor. I bought it on the strength that it has been a big online
      seller and that it's inexpensive. I think the group felt it was too random
      to predict the bids. Maybe a rule was mis-interpreted? Don't know, but I
      hope to play and decide for myself - if only I can find someone left willing
      to try it! They aborted after just 4 rounds. Based on the comments I heard,
      the 5 ratings might have been kind.

      Game Scores: David=42, Alison=16, Mark=13, Jenn=3, Jonathan=0
      Ratings: David=5, Alison=5.5, Mark=5, Jenn=3, Jonathan=5.5

      Any comments on this game?

      dber@...
    • Craig Massey
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
        --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:
        rage snippage...

        I'm very puzzled about this game. I purchased for
        many of the same reasons as Dave (the fact that this
        is another instance where Dave and I are thinking
        alike is starting to scare me a bit ;-) ). I'm also a
        big fan of the standard card game Oh Hell and the
        variant Wizard. Hearing that Rage was similar I
        eagerly wanted to try it. I have read the rules, but
        never played. The reading of the rules left me
        scratching my head on how this game was so popular.
        It seems fairly chaotic and luck driven taking away a
        lot of the skill in bidding a hand as in Oh Hell. Now
        maybe the chaos makes for a very entertaining game for
        non gamers/families, but at first blush, it seemed to
        be an inferior version of one of my favorite cards
        games.

        > Here is the excerpt from the session report I wrote
        > a while back:
        >
        > Rage Details: My understanding is this did not go
        > over very well. Ratings
        > were very poor. I bought it on the strength that it
        > has been a big online
        > seller and that it's inexpensive. I think the group
        > felt it was too random
        > to predict the bids. Maybe a rule was
        > mis-interpreted? Don't know, but I
        > hope to play and decide for myself - if only I can
        > find someone left willing
        > to try it! They aborted after just 4 rounds. Based
        > on the comments I heard,
        > the 5 ratings might have been kind.
        >
        > Game Scores: David=42, Alison=16, Mark=13, Jenn=3,
        > Jonathan=0
        > Ratings: David=5, Alison=5.5, Mark=5, Jenn=3,
        > Jonathan=5.5

        Hmmm, looking at the ratings gives me some insight. I
        dont' think I have ever played a card game/trick
        taking game with Mark, Jenn or Jonathan (I'm sure
        Dave's game records might prove otherwise) so I don't
        know their overall reaction to these types of games,
        but I have played them with Alison and David on
        several occasions (Sheepshead) which gets rated very
        highly by them and myself so seeing a 5 and 5.5 from
        the hansels doesn't speak very well for Rage at all
        and I suspect, my rating would max out there as well.
        Alison any comments on Rage?

        Dave R. plays cards games quite a bit as does Emily -
        Dave have you guys played Rage? What's the scoop?

        For now, Rage's consistant place in the top 10 of
        Funagain current sales will by one of the great
        unsolved mysteries of our time.

        Craig

        =====
        Craig W. Massey
        cwmassey@...

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • Jonathan Yedidia
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
          --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, "Dave Bernazzani" <dber@g...> wrote:
          > OK - as far as I know, Rage only got played once at the South Shore
          Gamers.
          > I don't remember reading about it being played at any other local
          groups
          > recently. But at Funagain, the praise couldn't be any better with
          people
          > claiming it to be fantastic - it's always in stock and then sold
          out
          within
          > a few weeks. I didn't sit at the Rage table but there were lots of
          > grumblings and such and none seemed to want to play it again. Any
          chance
          > you guys got the rules wrong and just missed the game? Or was it
          that bad?

          I find the whole Rage on Funagain thing very strange. There seems
          to be some weird cycle where people buy it because it's a cheap
          best-seller, which makes other people buy it. Then a few must like
          it, and post their praise. I think Aaron Fuegi's top 100 list is
          a more reliable indicator of the worth of games than the reviews
          at Funagain. Rage ranks #645 there with an average rating of 5.55
          from 11 voters (compared to Oh Hell which ranks #134 with an
          average of 6.47 from 34 voters).

          I was at the Rage table at SSG and
          I really don't think we got the rules wrong. We double-checked
          because we were surprised the game was so bad. The consensus was
          that it was a bad Oh Hell variant. Wizard is a better Oh Hell
          variant (ranking #175 with an average of 6.29 from 35 voters on
          Aaron's list), if you want to play one.
        • Alison Hansel
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001
            > --- Dave B wrote:
            > Rage snippage...

            > --- Craig wrote:
            > I'm very puzzled about this game.

            > Hmmm, looking at the ratings gives me some insight....
            > so seeing a 5 and 5.5 from
            > the Hansels doesn't speak very well for Rage at all
            > and I suspect, my rating would max out there as well.
            > Alison any comments on Rage?

            Yeah, we didn't like Rage at all. It is a mystery to me why this
            game is so popular. We speculated that maybe many people just have
            never played Oh Hell or one if its many variants and that basic
            idea is what really interests them. Or perhaps they have played
            such games but find them too challenging and want total randomness
            added into the mix.

            David and I really enjoy Wizard (that was my first introduction to
            such games) and were very disappointed to see how the special cards
            in Rage affected game play. The idea of being able to change the
            value of a trick or change the trump is interesting, but you can only
            play special cards when you could play a trump, so you can't ever do
            anything to your own benefit, really. Plus the trump changing thing
            is totally random, you just turn over the next card of the deck. You
            don't even get to pick it, like Crazy Eights or something! And it
            stays trump through remaining tricks. That part reminded me of
            Trumpet (another game which was real popular) which we didn't like
            very much either. Why have a trick taking game with trumps and then
            change trump every minute????????

            I'm also sorry to say that I really don't think we got a rule wrong.
            I wish it were so! We did only have the German rules, but David was
            overseeing the on-site rules translation.

            So, Rage is definitely not something I would want to play again,
            especially given that there are so many other good Oh Hell variants
            available.

            But maybe someone has other insights??

            --Alison