Re: [Unity_Games] the next Unity Games

  • Jeff Michaud
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7, 2008
      Welcome to UG David

      I'm not on the steering committee but I don't believe it's been scheduled
      (at least a contract hasn't been signed or I think it would have been
      announced). I was expecting it to be in August again this year but
      it looks like there is already a gaming related convention that conflicts
      with every Saturday in August.

      And yes, it's a non invite-only convention, though I don't recommend just
      showing up, saving yourself $5 and give the steering committee some extra
      money to work with up front by pre-paying. There is of course always the chance
      of a sell out (fire codes only allow so many) so at the door it's if room available.

      I imagine it will be Wakefield again, but you never know.

      In the mean time, there is some area gaming going on... see

      http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/170885

      Exeter would have been close for you but I don't believe the 6am guys
      are doing it there any more (Eric does have it periodically up in Concord,
      and Jim who I believe is close to you on rare occasion hosts).

      If you don't mind an hour drive on a Monday night there is opening gaming
      almost every Monday at the Borders in Nashua. See
      http://boardgames.meetup.com/379/

      Not sure how much Memoir'44 gets played, but hopefully you like other
      strategy games as well.

      Jeff

      At 03:07 PM 4/7/2008, you wrote:

      >Hello all
      >I joined this group a while back...got into Memoir'44.
      >
      >Is the next Unity Games Unity XV scheduled?
      >
      >Can anyone show up? Will it be in the same place, Wakefield?
      >
      >thanks
      >David (<mailto:david5272%40yahoo.com>david5272@...)
      >Newton,NH
    • Adam Smiles
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
        Unity Games XV has not been scheduled. When we have a date and location locked down, we'll let everyone know.

        Yes, anyone can show up. You save money by paying ahead of time, but you can always pay at the door. I suppose it's possible that we'll reach a maximum capacity, but we've done a good job finding locations that fit our expected attendance.

        Unity Games XV will not be held in Wakefield. In June, the hotel's conference center and 9 of the 18 holes on the golf course will begin the process of becoming condos. There is a small ballroom in the main hotel, but it is not large enough to accomodate our group.-Adam

        To: Unity_Games@yahoogroups.comFrom: david5272@...: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 19:07:52 +0000Subject: [Unity_Games] the next Unity Games

        Hello allI joined this group a while back...got into Memoir'44. Is the next Unity Games Unity XV scheduled?Can anyone show up? Will it be in the same place, Wakefield? thanksDavid (david5272@...)Newton,NH

      • Jeff Michaud
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
          At 02:21 PM 4/8/2008, you wrote:
          >Unity Games XV will not be held in Wakefield. In June, the hotel's conference center and 9 of the 18 holes on the golf course will begin the process of becoming condos. There is a small ballroom in the main hotel, but it is not large enough to accomodate our group.

          Bummer! Who in the world is building condos during a real estate down turn :(
          I hope it's not back to Framingham, though I guess it could be worse :(

          No hints though either where, or at least which month, it could be?

          Jeff
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 20, 2008
            Jeff Michaud <jeff.michaud@...> wrote:

            >Bummer! Who in the world is building condos during a real estate down turn :(
            >I hope it's not back to Framingham, though I guess it could be worse :(
            >
            >No hints though either where, or at least which month, it could be?

            I swear we have had our share of hotel adventures! We would
            rather let UGXV be a bit delayed (perhaps to the winter if need
            be) to try and find a hotel we can be in long-term and develop a
            good relationship with.

            So, no.. there is no hint we can give ;)

            Wanted: Old video games-Atari, Coleco, TI99, NES, SNES, Genesis
            daveber@...
          • Jim
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 20, 2008
              --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bernazzani <daveber@...> wrote:

              > I swear we have had our share of hotel adventures! We would
              > rather let UGXV be a bit delayed (perhaps to the winter if need
              > be) to try and find a hotel we can be in long-term and develop a
              > good relationship with.
              >
              > So, no.. there is no hint we can give ;)

              There a Sheraton in South Portland, ME with a huge convention center
              (multiple rooms). The NABC runs regional bridge tournaments there.
              It's less than 1 mile from I95.
            • Mathew Daigle
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 20, 2008
                Have you looked into the Shriner's Auditorium in Wilmington, MA?

                They have decent space. Not quite as nice as a hotel, but still a good space.

                >Bummer! Who in the world is building condos during a real estate down turn :(
                >I hope it's not back to Framingham, though I guess it could be worse :(
                >
                >No hints though either where, or at least which month, it could be?

                I swear we have had our share of hotel adventures! We would
                rather let UGXV be a bit delayed (perhaps to the winter if need
                be) to try and find a hotel we can be in long-term and develop a
                good relationship with.

                So, no.. there is no hint we can give ;)

                Wanted: Old video games-Atari, Coleco, TI99, NES, SNES, Genesis
                daveber@...

              • Dan Blum
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 20, 2008

                  > Have you looked into the Shriner's Auditorium in Wilmington, MA?
                  >
                  > They have decent space. Not quite as nice as a hotel, but still a good space.

                  I don't know if it would really work for UG. It's all bare concrete and bleachers, so
                  it gets really loud due to lack of sound baffling.

                  Dan Blum tool@...