the next Unity Games

  • david5272
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7, 2008
      Hello all
      I joined this group a while back...got into Memoir'44.

      Is the next Unity Games Unity XV scheduled?

      Can anyone show up? Will it be in the same place, Wakefield?

      thanks
      David (david5272@...)
      Newton,NH
    • Jeff Michaud
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7, 2008
        Welcome to UG David

        I'm not on the steering committee but I don't believe it's been scheduled
        (at least a contract hasn't been signed or I think it would have been
        announced). I was expecting it to be in August again this year but
        it looks like there is already a gaming related convention that conflicts
        with every Saturday in August.

        And yes, it's a non invite-only convention, though I don't recommend just
        showing up, saving yourself $5 and give the steering committee some extra
        money to work with up front by pre-paying. There is of course always the chance
        of a sell out (fire codes only allow so many) so at the door it's if room available.

        I imagine it will be Wakefield again, but you never know.

        In the mean time, there is some area gaming going on... see

        http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/170885

        Exeter would have been close for you but I don't believe the 6am guys
        are doing it there any more (Eric does have it periodically up in Concord,
        and Jim who I believe is close to you on rare occasion hosts).

        If you don't mind an hour drive on a Monday night there is opening gaming
        almost every Monday at the Borders in Nashua. See
        http://boardgames.meetup.com/379/

        Not sure how much Memoir'44 gets played, but hopefully you like other
        strategy games as well.

        Jeff

        At 03:07 PM 4/7/2008, you wrote:

        >Hello all
        >I joined this group a while back...got into Memoir'44.
        >
        >Is the next Unity Games Unity XV scheduled?
        >
        >Can anyone show up? Will it be in the same place, Wakefield?
        >
        >thanks
        >David (<mailto:david5272%40yahoo.com>david5272@...)
        >Newton,NH
      • Adam Smiles
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
          Unity Games XV has not been scheduled. When we have a date and location locked down, we'll let everyone know.

          Yes, anyone can show up. You save money by paying ahead of time, but you can always pay at the door. I suppose it's possible that we'll reach a maximum capacity, but we've done a good job finding locations that fit our expected attendance.

          Unity Games XV will not be held in Wakefield. In June, the hotel's conference center and 9 of the 18 holes on the golf course will begin the process of becoming condos. There is a small ballroom in the main hotel, but it is not large enough to accomodate our group.-Adam

          To: Unity_Games@yahoogroups.comFrom: david5272@...: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 19:07:52 +0000Subject: [Unity_Games] the next Unity Games

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 8, 2008
            At 02:21 PM 4/8/2008, you wrote:
            >Unity Games XV will not be held in Wakefield. In June, the hotel's conference center and 9 of the 18 holes on the golf course will begin the process of becoming condos. There is a small ballroom in the main hotel, but it is not large enough to accomodate our group.

            Bummer! Who in the world is building condos during a real estate down turn :(
            I hope it's not back to Framingham, though I guess it could be worse :(

            No hints though either where, or at least which month, it could be?

            Jeff
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 20, 2008
              Jeff Michaud <jeff.michaud@...> wrote:

              >Bummer! Who in the world is building condos during a real estate down turn :(
              >I hope it's not back to Framingham, though I guess it could be worse :(
              >
              >No hints though either where, or at least which month, it could be?

              I swear we have had our share of hotel adventures! We would
              rather let UGXV be a bit delayed (perhaps to the winter if need
              be) to try and find a hotel we can be in long-term and develop a
              good relationship with.

              So, no.. there is no hint we can give ;)

              Wanted: Old video games-Atari, Coleco, TI99, NES, SNES, Genesis
              daveber@...
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 20, 2008
                --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bernazzani <daveber@...> wrote:

                > I swear we have had our share of hotel adventures! We would
                > rather let UGXV be a bit delayed (perhaps to the winter if need
                > be) to try and find a hotel we can be in long-term and develop a
                > good relationship with.
                >
                > So, no.. there is no hint we can give ;)

                There a Sheraton in South Portland, ME with a huge convention center
                (multiple rooms). The NABC runs regional bridge tournaments there.
                It's less than 1 mile from I95.
              • Mathew Daigle
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 20, 2008
                  Have you looked into the Shriner's Auditorium in Wilmington, MA?

                  They have decent space. Not quite as nice as a hotel, but still a good space.

                  >Bummer! Who in the world is building condos during a real estate down turn :(
                  >I hope it's not back to Framingham, though I guess it could be worse :(
                  >
                  >No hints though either where, or at least which month, it could be?

                  I swear we have had our share of hotel adventures! We would
                  rather let UGXV be a bit delayed (perhaps to the winter if need
                  be) to try and find a hotel we can be in long-term and develop a
                  good relationship with.

                  So, no.. there is no hint we can give ;)

                  Wanted: Old video games-Atari, Coleco, TI99, NES, SNES, Genesis
                  daveber@...

                • Dan Blum
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 20, 2008

                    > Have you looked into the Shriner's Auditorium in Wilmington, MA?
                    >
                    > They have decent space. Not quite as nice as a hotel, but still a good space.

                    I don't know if it would really work for UG. It's all bare concrete and bleachers, so
                    it gets really loud due to lack of sound baffling.

                    Dan Blum tool@...