OT: Gary Gygax passed away at 69

  • S Pizio
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4 12:25 PM
      I know this is off-topic, however I bet most of us have at least dabbled
      in RPG's at one time or another.

      Dungeons & Dragons co-creator dies at 69
      By EMILY FREDRIX, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 30 minutes ago
      Gary Gygax, who co-created the fantasy game Dungeons & Dragons and
      helped start the role-playing phenomenon, died Tuesday morning at his
      home in Lake Geneva. He was 69.
      He had been suffering from health problems for several years, including
      an abdominal aneurysm, said his wife, Gail Gygax.
      Gygax and Dave Arneson developed Dungeons & Dragons in 1974 using
      medieval characters and mythical creatures. The game known for its oddly
      shaped dice became a hit, particularly among teenage boys, and
      eventually was turned into video games, books and movies.
      Gygax always enjoyed hearing from the game's legion of devoted fans,
      many of whom would stop by the family's home in Lake Geneva, about 55
      miles southwest of Milwaukee, his wife said. Despite his declining
      health, he hosted weekly games of Dungeons & Dragons as recently as
      January, she said.
      "It really meant a lot to him to hear from people from over the years
      about how he helped them become a doctor, a lawyer, a policeman, what he
      gave them," Gygax said. "He really enjoyed that."
      Dungeons & Dragons players create fictional characters and carry out
      their adventures with the help of complicated rules. The quintessential
      geek pastime, it spawned a wealth of copycat games and later inspired a
      whole genre of computer games that's still growing in popularity.
      Funeral arrangements are pending. Besides his wife, Gygax is survived by
      six children.
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080304/ap_on_re_us/obit_gygax;_ylt=AkkTkrOG
      3.X7XqyEnEKvYM1H2ocA

      Scott Pizio
      -- Edgar Allan Poe

    • Craig B
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4 12:29 PM
        I read about this an hour or two ago on BGG. It's not just if you dabbled in RPG's, but if you've played pretty much any RPG, fantasy board game, CCG, MMO, fantasy video or computer game, etc. D&D has influenced every one of those things, as well as movies, books, etc. A titan of the industry has fallen today.

        R.I.P. Gary. You brought so much joy to the world with your creation and brought countless folks together. You will be sorely missed.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4 7:37 PM
          OOTS (D&D web-comic) tribute: _http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html_
          (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html)

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5 5:00 AM
            I've been playing D&D since about 1978 (Red and Blue boxed editions)
            and later in 1980 picked up the AD&D books which still sit proudly on
            my library shelves in my house. Currently, I've been involved with a
            3.5 campaign with a group that has been meeting in my house for the
            past 5 years. The amount of joy and imaginative fantasy play that I've
            gotten from the game over the years is simply immeasurable (though the
            system, I've always felt, is far less important than the friends at
            the table). I'm definitely saddened to hear that Gary passed away -
            but it was great to read that he was STILL hosting regular weekly D&D
            games in his home as recently as January. I hope I'm doing the same
            when I'm nearly 70!!

            daveber@...
            www.unitygames.org
          • Mark J. Edwards
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5 11:19 AM
              At 08:00 AM 3/5/2008, Dave Bernazzani wrote:
              ><snip>
              >but it was great to read that he was STILL hosting regular weekly D&D
              >games in his home as recently as January. I hope I'm doing the same
              >when I'm nearly 70!!

              I'm in!

              "Logan... you renewed!"
              Francis-7

            • IGiveIn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6 11:03 AM
                Actually, that's not STRICTLY true - he was hosting weekly Lejendary Adventures games.? He pretty much abandoned D&D except at rare convention appearances after New Infinities folded AFAICT.

                ><snip>
                >but it was great to read that he was STILL hosting regular weekly D&D
                >games in his home as recently as January. I hope I'm doing the same
                >when I'm nearly 70!!

                At 08:00 AM 3/5/2008, Dave Bernazzani wrote:
                ><snip>
                >but it was great to read that he was STILL hosting regular weekly D&D
                >games in his home as recently as January. I hope I'm doing the same
                >when I'm nearly 70!!

                I'm in!

                "Logan... you renewed!"
                Francis-7