[Unity_Games] Re: Game themes

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2000
      I like Brian's MIT retheming of Lost Cities. It could be extended to other
      academic settings.

      That said, the theme of Lost Cities already works for me, even though the
      mechanics and the theme have little or no direct connection. This is because
      of the cards. They are linked to the mechanics, in that they clearly convey
      the information you need to play the game. They are also linked to the theme,
      in that they beautifully illustrate the various expeditions. (Too beautifully
      for me to agree with whoever finds them Lovecraftian, by the way.)

      LC is not the only game in which the I find the mechanics and theme to work
      together via the bits, rather than directly.

      Talking of rethemable games, we played Hellrail yesterday evening. That could
      easily be rethemed to and relocated out of hell and onto the earth. So you'd
      pick up and drop off, not adulterers and heretics, but lawyers and
      stockbrokers. OK, bad example, that still sounds like types of sinner. But
      you get the idea...

      Andrew.