Re: [Unity_Games] Thanks for another great UG event!!!

  • Mathew Daigle
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2008
      Yes,

      Thanks again to the organizers for putting on such a great event.

      I met some nice gamers again, I believe this is my 6th UG event.

      Hopefully, I'll see some of you at ConnectiCon in August.

      Matt Daigle

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 27, 2008
        Awesome... what a monster turnout! We were basically bursting at
        the seams - about 350 gamers and more games than you can shake 2
        sticks at. I was impressed!

        First of all - thanks to all the folks that turned out on this
        cold January day in support of Unity Games. Phil Alberg and the
        teaching crew were in full swing - anchoring the event as always.
        Craig Massey and the Charity Auction was another success - and
        although I didn't win the stack I was bidding on (note to self to
        de-invite the guy who won it - heh!) it looked like lots of
        people got some great game related things and helped to support a
        worthy cause. Craig will have more details. Big thanks to the
        volunteers who helped staff the front table - you will NOT be
        forgotten in the grand karmic-scheme.

        I'm amazed at how much the event has grown - from a modest 43
        person first event to something nearly 10 times that size! None
        of this would be possible without the help of the Steerage
        committee and especially Adam Smiles. More than ever, this event
        has the unique and well organized hand print of Adam's Herculean
        efforts. From dealing with the hotel to handling the finances to
        carting charity prizes and helping deal with the multitude of
        emails that pour in prior to the event. Adam can't be thanked
        enough - any other person on the team could go missing (and that
        certainly includes me!) and the event would still happen -
        without Adam, it simply couldn't survive given the current
        logistics. If you see Adam - give him a hug... he likes that sort
        of thing ;)

        Wanted: Old video games-Atari, Coleco, TI99, NES, SNES, Genesis
        daveber@...
      • Mark J. Edwards
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 27, 2008
          Just wanted to second that kudos to Adam, who not only did all
          that Dave has mentioned but was there at midnight closing up shop
          with me. Great job Adam, the hard work is much appreciated.
          Now get some sleep, you look terrible. ;-)

          Mark

          At 08:10 AM 1/27/2008, Dave Bernazzani wrote:
          >I'm amazed at how much the event has grown - from a modest 43
          >person first event to something nearly 10 times that size! None
          >of this would be possible without the help of the Steerage
          >committee and especially Adam Smiles. More than ever, this event
          >has the unique and well organized hand print of Adam's Herculean
          >efforts. From dealing with the hotel to handling the finances to
          >carting charity prizes and helping deal with the multitude of
          >emails that pour in prior to the event. Adam can't be thanked
          >enough - any other person on the team could go missing (and that
          >certainly includes me!) and the event would still happen -
          >without Adam, it simply couldn't survive given the current
          >logistics. If you see Adam - give him a hug... he likes that sort
          >of thing ;)

          "Logan... you renewed!"
          Francis-7

        • Constantine
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 27, 2008
            I cannot agree more. I got to play a lot of new games with a lot of
            new people. It was ridiculously fun and well organized. Kudos to all!

            Among the games I played there was an overarching theme of volcanoes
            and guns. Pompeii & Taluva and Bang & Cash N' Guns, the last two of
            which I got in the auction. I liked all of em and had only played the
            last one before.

            Other games new to me I played:

            Galaxy Trucker: a lot of fun. Happily play it again
            Race For The Galaxy: Fontes warned me that it would take three games
            of it to figure it out and I've only played once. I think I like it
            but am holding off on a definite opinion until I've had two more
            plays. Thanks Walter for doing a great job of teaching it and then
            having the patience with me asking the same questions over and over
            while we played.

            Quick warning to all: If you're playing vs. Eliot Targum and he says
            he's never played the game before ... you're going to lose.

            Hopefully will have another battle for the Snoopy Cup at the next UG.
          • Adam Smiles
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 27, 2008
              Dave, thanks for the kind words, but you forgot to mention "he's one hell of a wizard player".

              I'm glad everyone had a great time. Now to get started on UGXV.

              -Adam
              ________________________________To: Unity_Games@yahoogroups.comFrom: daveber@...'m amazed at how much the event has grown - from a modest 43person first event to something nearly 10 times that size! Noneof this would be possible without the help of the Steeragecommittee and especially Adam Smiles. More than ever, this eventhas the unique and well organized hand print of Adam's Herculeanefforts. From dealing with the hotel to handling the finances tocarting charity prizes and helping deal with the multitude ofemails that pour in prior to the event. Adam can't be thankedenough - any other person on the team could go missing (and thatcertainly includes me!) and the event would still happen -without Adam, it simply couldn't survive given the currentlogistics. If you see Adam - give him a hug... he likes that sortof thing ;)

            • John P. Cataldo
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 27, 2008
                I'd like to add in my thanks to everyone for running a great event. I
                didn't notice any hitches or problems and generally just had a great time.

                Thanks!

                -John
              • pldr
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 27, 2008
                  Dave neglected to mention that Adam found time to win the
                  Wizard Tourney during all his convention work.

                  The man's a god.

                  Pete de Rosa

                  ----------

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 28, 2008
                    I too want to throw my voice out there and thank the steering committee for
                    all their hard work. I¹ve been coming to these since UG3 or 4, and it¹s
                    amazing to see what the event has grown into.

                    Overall, my experience was very positive. The only downside to the day was
                    the water service was a tad lacking. It made me feel bad for the poor woman
                    outside at the food service table who seemed to be getting bombarded by
                    questions about the water shortage. Otherwise, the event and location was
                    again great.

                    I look forward to the next one!

                    --
                    Craig Brooks