Thanks for another great UG event!!!

  • Jeff Michaud
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 26, 2008
      Thanks once again to the UG steering committee for another great UG event!
      I don't know how many attended, but it seemed to be a full house with it being
      hard to find table space at some points.

      As seems to be the tradition, if you are on BGG (and some of you who haven't
      before have incentive now if you won any of the charity auction game lots),
      a geeklist for folks to want to share what games they played, see

      http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/28548

      Hope everyone who was in the math trade received their games (or will
      shortly if you had a proxy). Thanks once again to Phil for helping set the
      table space to it was easy stack the games up.

      Thanks also to Phil for organizing the teaching area again as well, as well
      as everyone else who was teaching. It was so popular that I never got a
      chance this time around to take advantage of it.

      And lastly thanks to everyone who I was able to play games with. If no one
      showed up to play games with it wouldn't be much fun :)

      Jeff
    • Mathew Daigle
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26, 2008
        Yes,

        Thanks again to the organizers for putting on such a great event.

        I met some nice gamers again, I believe this is my 6th UG event.

        Hopefully, I'll see some of you at ConnectiCon in August.

        Matt Daigle

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 27, 2008
          Awesome... what a monster turnout! We were basically bursting at
          the seams - about 350 gamers and more games than you can shake 2
          sticks at. I was impressed!

          First of all - thanks to all the folks that turned out on this
          cold January day in support of Unity Games. Phil Alberg and the
          teaching crew were in full swing - anchoring the event as always.
          Craig Massey and the Charity Auction was another success - and
          although I didn't win the stack I was bidding on (note to self to
          de-invite the guy who won it - heh!) it looked like lots of
          people got some great game related things and helped to support a
          worthy cause. Craig will have more details. Big thanks to the
          volunteers who helped staff the front table - you will NOT be
          forgotten in the grand karmic-scheme.

          I'm amazed at how much the event has grown - from a modest 43
          person first event to something nearly 10 times that size! None
          of this would be possible without the help of the Steerage
          committee and especially Adam Smiles. More than ever, this event
          has the unique and well organized hand print of Adam's Herculean
          efforts. From dealing with the hotel to handling the finances to
          carting charity prizes and helping deal with the multitude of
          emails that pour in prior to the event. Adam can't be thanked
          enough - any other person on the team could go missing (and that
          certainly includes me!) and the event would still happen -
          without Adam, it simply couldn't survive given the current
          logistics. If you see Adam - give him a hug... he likes that sort
          of thing ;)

          Wanted: Old video games-Atari, Coleco, TI99, NES, SNES, Genesis
          daveber@...
        • Mark J. Edwards
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 27, 2008
            Just wanted to second that kudos to Adam, who not only did all
            that Dave has mentioned but was there at midnight closing up shop
            with me. Great job Adam, the hard work is much appreciated.
            Now get some sleep, you look terrible. ;-)

            Mark

            At 08:10 AM 1/27/2008, Dave Bernazzani wrote:
            >I'm amazed at how much the event has grown - from a modest 43
            >person first event to something nearly 10 times that size! None
            >of this would be possible without the help of the Steerage
            >committee and especially Adam Smiles. More than ever, this event
            >has the unique and well organized hand print of Adam's Herculean
            >efforts. From dealing with the hotel to handling the finances to
            >carting charity prizes and helping deal with the multitude of
            >emails that pour in prior to the event. Adam can't be thanked
            >enough - any other person on the team could go missing (and that
            >certainly includes me!) and the event would still happen -
            >without Adam, it simply couldn't survive given the current
            >logistics. If you see Adam - give him a hug... he likes that sort
            >of thing ;)

            "Logan... you renewed!"
            Francis-7

          • Constantine
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 27, 2008
              I cannot agree more. I got to play a lot of new games with a lot of
              new people. It was ridiculously fun and well organized. Kudos to all!

              Among the games I played there was an overarching theme of volcanoes
              and guns. Pompeii & Taluva and Bang & Cash N' Guns, the last two of
              which I got in the auction. I liked all of em and had only played the
              last one before.

              Other games new to me I played:

              Galaxy Trucker: a lot of fun. Happily play it again
              Race For The Galaxy: Fontes warned me that it would take three games
              of it to figure it out and I've only played once. I think I like it
              but am holding off on a definite opinion until I've had two more
              plays. Thanks Walter for doing a great job of teaching it and then
              having the patience with me asking the same questions over and over
              while we played.

              Quick warning to all: If you're playing vs. Eliot Targum and he says
              he's never played the game before ... you're going to lose.

              Hopefully will have another battle for the Snoopy Cup at the next UG.
            • Adam Smiles
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 27, 2008
                Dave, thanks for the kind words, but you forgot to mention "he's one hell of a wizard player".

                I'm glad everyone had a great time. Now to get started on UGXV.

                -Adam
                ________________________________To: Unity_Games@yahoogroups.comFrom: daveber@...'m amazed at how much the event has grown - from a modest 43person first event to something nearly 10 times that size! Noneof this would be possible without the help of the Steeragecommittee and especially Adam Smiles. More than ever, this eventhas the unique and well organized hand print of Adam's Herculeanefforts. From dealing with the hotel to handling the finances tocarting charity prizes and helping deal with the multitude ofemails that pour in prior to the event. Adam can't be thankedenough - any other person on the team could go missing (and thatcertainly includes me!) and the event would still happen -without Adam, it simply couldn't survive given the currentlogistics. If you see Adam - give him a hug... he likes that sortof thing ;)

              • John P. Cataldo
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 27, 2008
                  I'd like to add in my thanks to everyone for running a great event. I
                  didn't notice any hitches or problems and generally just had a great time.

                  Thanks!

                  -John
                • pldr
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 27, 2008
                    Dave neglected to mention that Adam found time to win the
                    Wizard Tourney during all his convention work.

                    The man's a god.

                    Pete de Rosa

                    ----------

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 28, 2008
                      I too want to throw my voice out there and thank the steering committee for
                      all their hard work. I¹ve been coming to these since UG3 or 4, and it¹s
                      amazing to see what the event has grown into.

                      Overall, my experience was very positive. The only downside to the day was
                      the water service was a tad lacking. It made me feel bad for the poor woman
                      outside at the food service table who seemed to be getting bombarded by
                      questions about the water shortage. Otherwise, the event and location was
                      again great.

                      I look forward to the next one!

                      --
                      Craig Brooks