Re: [Unity_Games] Question about gamers in Southeastern Massachusetts area

  • Jeff Michaud
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hi Carol,

      1st you really should come out to UG-14 on Sat. Jan. 26th in
      Wakefield, MA. See http://www.unitygames.org/ugxiv/ugxiv.htm
      You will be able to learn lots of good games.

      You should also register over at
      http://www.boardgamegeek.com/
      That is really the best resource for all the info you are asking.
      There's even a forum "Women & Gaming".

      As for where to buy games... there's always your friendly
      local gaming store. There's also plenty of online discounters,
      see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/JeffyJeff/tag/Best-Online-Retailers
      which is a list of discussions on the topic.

      Since you also sound relatively new to board gaming, one of our
      members (Eric M.) has a website just for you...
      http://funandboardgames.com/

      Hopefully you and some of your teens can make it to UG!

      Jeff

      At 02:04 PM 1/1/2008, you wrote:

      >Happy New Year!
      >
      >I have been a lurker on this list for quite some time, but have always
      >kept an interest. I am a traditional board game kind of gal
      >(backgammon is my favorite). I now work at a library (youth services
      >librarian) and I am thinking of starting a gaming club. I need to
      >learn all about games, how to play them, what are the top games, what
      >games teens play as opposed to adults, just about everything there is
      >to know about the gaming world. So, I thought I would start here.
      >HELP!!! I bow to the superior wisdom of the gamers in this group.
      >Some questions off the top of my head include:
      >
      >What are the top games played by teens? or do they play the same games
      >as everyone else?
      >What are the different category of games?
      >Where can I purchase games and how do I get some idea of what are hot
      >games, good games, awful games and must play games?
      >
      >I want to learn about all of them, board games, card games, strategy
      >games, war games, etc....
      >
      >Thanks for all your information!
      >
      >Carol G
    • Ben Reck
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
        Even though there's a vast world of games ... as one quick glance at Boardgames Geek will reveal, some of the traditional card games are perfect for teen-gaming clubs. Typically, you have limited time for a club and many games require extensive set-up and put-away time (let alone time to play). When I was in high school, I was your typical honors student and I found refuge in a bridge-playing club (the organizer called it The Truffle Club). I've loved bridge ever since. Hearts and spades are also options for strategic card games. Bridge is easy to teach and teaches so much:

        --communication between partners
        --advanced planning
        --situational awareness
        --good and bad risks

        So that's what I'd recommend to start: teach the kids to play bridge. As a traditional game, it's more in line with your predisposition and strength; and you should always teach to your strength. You can branch out from there. -- Ben

[...]

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}