UG XIV: Volunteers Needed to Teach Games

  • Phil Alberg
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007
      Unity Games XIV will be held at the Sheraton Colonial in Wakefield, MA
      on Jan 26, 2008, which is only SEVEN WEEKS AWAY!! For more
      information, please visit:

      http://www.unitygames.org/ugxiv/ugxiv.htm

      I am once again coordinating the Teaching Area. This is an area where
      dedicated gamers teach popular games to anyone wishing to learn them.
      The goal is to have a specific place where new players or
      those-who-are-not-as-comfortable-jumping-into-the-main-fray can meet
      and ease into some relaxed gaming hosted by enthusiastic gamers.

      I am looking for volunteers to staff this activity. Specifically, I
      need people who can dedicate 2 hours and are comfortable at teaching
      games.

      So, why should you become a teacher? Well, it provides a chance to
      meet new gamers as well as an opportunity to share your passion for a
      favorite game. The only requirements to becoming a teacher are that
      you know the rules to your game of choice, that you are able to
      explain these rules to new gamers, and that you play the game during
      your appointed time. Other than ensuring the game is taught at the
      appointed time, these requirements are not unlike those you'll be
      following anyway as you spend time at the event.

      My goal is to staff 2-hour blocks between the hours of 9:30am -
      3:30pm. Note the change in start time, which was moved forward a half
      hour so as to allow time to check in and get settled. I will again be
      staggering the 2-hour blocks so that they overlap. That is, someone
      could teach GameA from 9:30-11:30, someone else could teach GameB from
      10:30-12:30, etc.

      If you have some suggestions of games that you would like see taught,
      please contact me and I will try to accommodate these requests.

      There is no set list of games to be taught -- you may indicate a
      choice of games, which should be playable in under 90 minutes and
      accommodate 3+ players.

      I am looking for 9 - 12 volunteers. Please reply to me off-list if
      your are interested in participating in this activity. Please
      provide:
      1) Your gaming preferences.
      2) Your preferred 2-hour timeslot.

      Thank you, and I look forward to seeing everyone at UG XIV !

      - Phil

      --
      Eastern MA Gaming
      http://www.unitygames.org/

      "But how do you plan for a bank full of nuns?"

      important, not the winning."
      - Reiner Knizia
    • Phil Alberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
        UG XIV is only THREE WEEKS AWAY!!

        http://www.unitygames.org/ugxiv/ugxiv.htm

        I am still looking for volunteers to staff the Teaching Area,
        particularly in the 1:30 - 3:30 timeslot. If you are interested,
        please send me an email message with the game you would like to teach
        and your preferred 2-hour timeslot.

        Games that are on the docket for UG XIV include: Agricola x2,
        Carcassonne H&G, Galaxy Trucker, Lost Valley, Notre Dame, Princes of
        Florence, Race for the Galaxy, Ticket to Ride, Ubongo, and Zooloretto.

        I will also be teaching a game, but have not yet committed to a title.
        You can help me by voting for one of four titles via the Yahoo group
        polling facility. The four titles I'm considering are: Blue Moon
        City, Key Harvest, Santiago, and Wabash Cannonball. The poll closes
        on Friday 11-Jan.

        Thanks,

        - Phil

        --
        Eastern MA Gaming
        http://www.unitygames.org/

        "But how do you plan for a bank full of nuns?"

        important, not the winning."
        - Reiner Knizia
      • Cally Perry
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
          I'd be happy to teach Blue Moon City in the 1:30 to 3:30 timeslot,
          Phil. If you'd really rather do that yourself, I can teach something
          else. I'm good at teaching St. Pete. And I'd be willing to try
          teaching Race for the Galaxy if people are interested.

          Cheers,
          Cally

        • Joe J. Rushanan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
            Phil,

            I have been toying with the idea of teaching an 18xx game in the Teaching
            Area, assuming enough people would actually like to learn the system. What's
            held me back is the length: even the shortest 18xx games would clock in at
            the 3-4 hour range.

            However, the new game "Steam over Holland" demonstrates the key concepts in
            an 18xx game but is designed to play in less than 2 hours:

            http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/31722

            Would you be interested in having this as part of the Teaching
            Area? Apologies for the late notice; I needed to wait until I was positive I
            would be attending. If it is too late this time, we can always do it next
            time. In any case, I will have the game with me.

            thanks,
            JoeJ

            --
            Joe J. Rushanan "Board Gamers Never Are"