Games for soldiers -- shipped!

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2007
      Here's an excerpt from my latest column on BoardgameNews.com:

      On Monday, February 26th, I shipped out the latest “games for grunts”
      packages. A number of BGN readers had contributed funds, and folks in
      New England gave both geld and games at Unity Games XII in January 2007.
      Here’s the rather eclectic list of games that was sent to three troops
      in Iraq and one in Afghanistan:

      San Juan x2
      For Sale
      Coloretto x2
      Cosmic Wimpout x3
      Bang x2
      Wizard x2
      Take Stock
      Payday
      Bohnanza x2
      Fairy Tale
      Senator
      Winner’s Circle
      Harry Potter Scene It
      Scene It
      Stratego Legends
      Risk Godstorm
      Harry Potter Trivia Game
      Cribbage board, plus cards
      Phase 10
      Canasta Caliente
      Ra

      I hope our armed forces contain a sufficient number of Harry Potter fans
      to make use of all these games. As I noted in my Jan. 16th column,
      Innovention Toys had shipped a crate of Khet to American soldiers in the
      Middle East. I asked Luke Hooper, President of Innovention, for details
      on the donation and he sent the following explanation:

      As for the Iraq donations, we didn’t realize our troops overseas even
      enjoyed boardgames until we got an email with the picture of the guys
      around the old Deflexion board telling us how much the guys around the
      base loved the game. We were happy to help and have since sent a case of
      games with shirts and splitters overseas to make sure anybody can get in
      a Khet game without much of a wait during their downtime. It’s gotten
      great feedback, and we even got a thank you from one soldier’s mom.

      While researching various game companies, I ran across Games To Troops,
      a program organized by GAMA (Game Manufacturer’s Association) in which
      game publishers donate hundreds of games to troops overseas. An
      impressive effort by GAMA and all of the publishers involved. I’m glad
      that Boardgame News can contribute its few boxes to this effort.

      You can read the complete column at
      http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comments/w_eric_martin_thoughts_on_toy_fair_and_more_games_for_grunts/

      My thanks to everyone who donated, and thanks as well to Ray Dennis at
      Geeks & Gamers in Meredith, NH for once again providing a generous
      discount on the order.

      Eric

      --
      W. Eric Martin