[SR] MVGA Holliston 2006-12-28

  • brosiuse
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6 11:20 AM
      MVGA meets Thursday nights at 7pm in the
      east of the center of town. Turn north on
      Church Place (which is more a driveway than
      a street) to find parking.

      We welcome visitors. We'll even
      waive the $3.00 fee for your first visit.

      Roll call:
      Walt, Rich, Dan, Anton, Ian, Jeff

      AGE OF STEAM
      (Walt, Rich, Dan)

      It was a holiday week, but there were 6
      gamers at the Masonic Hall this week as
      Rich and Dan were able to bring their
      sons (there was no homework this week.)
      We hadn't played Age of Steam at MVGA
      since January 2004, almost three years
      ago, and it was high time we gave this
      great game another shot. We have several
      of the Age of Steam maps, but we chose to
      use the original "Rust Belt" map for our
      3-player game.

      Walt started out with a build in the west, Dan countered in the
      east, and Rich tried to get the best of both worlds by starting in
      the middle. Dan and Rich both pursued the popular "take a lot of
      shares out and buy what you want" strategy. Walt opted for more of
      a cheapskate strategy and managed to match his income to his costs
      as early as Turn 3, eliminating the need to take out more shares.
      This put him into a virtuous spiral, and he managed to finish tied
      with Dan for the income lead despite the lower capitalization,
      assuring him of a comfortable victory. Dan ended with a '6' train,
      Walt with a '5', and Rich, who was squeezed, with a '4'.

      Final scores:

      Walt 111 = (33 income) x 3 - (7 shares) x 3 + 33 link hexes
      Dan_ _97 = (33 income) x 3 - (9 shares) x 3 + 25 link hexes
      Rich _85 = (29 income) x 3 - (10 shares) x 3 + 28 link hexes

      Eric's rating: 9. I haven't played a game of Age of Steam since
      way back in 2004, as most of the people I play with lost their
      enthusiasm for the game. Even though I wasn't able to make it out
      to MVGA this week, I'm glad to see it raised its head once again.

      CAYLUS
      (Anton, Ian, Jeff)

      I wasn't on hand to ask for additional information, so I have only
      the final scores for this game. Jeff is a strong player (he won a
      heat of Caylus at WBC last summer) and won by a fairly wide margin.

      Final scores: Jeff 107, Anton 97, Ian 82

      Eric's rating: 7. Caylus is one of those games that works well
      from a mechanical standpoint but doesn't call out to me when I don't
      play it for a while. I tend to prefer games that have a luck element
      to ones that require significant look-ahead.

      ALHAMBRA
      (Rich, Dan, Ian, Jeff)

      I have only the three sets of scoring totals for this game. It was
      clearly a close game all the way through.

      First scoring: Ian 9, Rich 8, Dan 6, Jeff 6

      Second scoring: Ian 39, Rich 35, Dan 34, Jeff 33.

      Final scoring: Rich 103, Jeff 95, Ian 94, Dan 89

      Eric's rating: 8. Ticket to Ride is my favorite SdJ winner since
      El Grande, but Alhambra is a strong second. Many people criticized
      this selection, but the only 2003 game I rank ahead of Alhambra is
      Paris Paris, and it has gotten stronger over time. I've played the
      game 39 times since it came out, and never fewer than 5 times in any
      year.

      Eric Brosius