Re: [Unity_Games] Waltham area

  • Josh Bluestein
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 6, 2006
      > From: Eric Stevenson <estevenson66@...>

      > No offense to the youngins - I just dont want to feel like I am
      > visting a kindergarten when I play! Not that I am ancient or
      > anything.....just 34

      Don't you think that 34 is a bit old to be spending your time pushing
      little wooden bits around on a game board?

      Josh (38)
    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 6, 2006
        I'm trying to figure out how Eric arrived at the age of 27 as the
        cutoff. I guess he thought of some 26-year old that particularly irritated
        him and decided on the 27+ figure.

        Hmmm, I'm going to have to enforce a 39+ requirement at the next UG for
        any table I sit at.

        At 03:43 PM 12/6/2006, Josh Bluestein wrote:
        >Josh (38)

        "Sokath, his eyes uncovered"
      • Josh Bluestein
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 6, 2006
          > From: Mark Edwards <danger-mouse@...>

          > I'm trying to figure out how Eric arrived at the age of 27 as the
          > cutoff. I guess he thought of some 26-year old that particularly irritated
          > him and decided on the 27+ figure.
          >
          > Hmmm, I'm going to have to enforce a 39+ requirement at the next UG for
          > any table I sit at.
          >
          > At 03:43 PM 12/6/2006, Josh Bluestein wrote:
          > >Josh (38)
          >
          > "Sokath, his eyes uncovered"

          Does that mean we'll have to do the traditional 'humiliate Edwards at
          boardgames' thing out in the hall this year?

          Josh
        • Richard Spoonts
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 6, 2006
            So if I play with Mark all day, I can avoid both Craig
            Massey and Eric Schulz. Woohoo!

            The drawback, of course, is that I have to play with
            Mark all day.

            Richard

            --- Mark Edwards <danger-mouse@...> wrote:
            > Hmmm, I'm going to have to enforce a 39+
            > requirement at the next UG for
            > any table I sit at.

            Cheap talk?
            http://voice.yahoo.com
          • Hstings1066@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 6, 2006
              In a message dated 12/6/2006 4:46:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              danger-mouse@... writes:
              Hmmm, I'm going to have to enforce a 39+ requirement at the next UG for
              any table I sit at.

              Great! Now I have a valid excuse not to play with Mark! LOL. J/k.

              www.SalemGamer.com

            • Eric Stevenson
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 6, 2006
                lol!

                No it was a 24 year old! I could say 25 but then there will those that think - "well if 25 is ok, then 24 would be ok" So I could say 26 but I decided to add an extra year for good measure.

                Besides I am getting into the alzheimer's years and I dont want to get my ass beat by a bunch of young sharp whippersnappers.

                Danger Planet Rules thought! I just moved to Waltham and almot crapped my pants when I saw a real live game store in my very own home town!

                Mark Edwards <danger-mouse@...> wrote:

                I'm trying to figure out how Eric arrived at the age of 27 as the
                cutoff. I guess he thought of some 26-year old that particularly irritated
                him and decided on the 27+ figure.

                Hmmm, I'm going to have to enforce a 39+ requirement at the next UG for
                any table I sit at.

                At 03:43 PM 12/6/2006, Josh Bluestein wrote:
                >Josh (38)

                "Sokath, his eyes uncovered"

              • Mark J. Edwards
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 6, 2006
                  At 04:44 PM 12/6/2006, Josh Bluestein wrote:
                  >Does that mean we'll have to do the traditional 'humiliate Edwards at
                  >boardgames' thing out in the hall this year?

                  How old is Lockheardt? He looks old. I may have to adjust my
                  restricted age.

                  "Logan... you renewed!"
                  Francis-7
                • tmredden
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 6, 2006
                    I think a lot of Heroscape gaming is done by Father & Son families
                    (maybe mothers and daughters too.) Then, Dad discovers he likes it more
                    than the kids, and besides - HE'S GOT ALL THE MONEY!!! As for me, I'm
                    48 and will play the game with ANYBODY.

                    - Todd

                    Eric Stevenson wrote:

                    > No offense to the youngins - I just dont want to feel like I am
                    > visting a kindergarten when I play! Not that I am ancient or
                    > anything.....just 34
                    >
                    > andrew.young@... <mailto:andrew.young%40comcast.net> wrote:
                    > That's true.. those youngens!

                    > From: "Matt Horn" <mhorn@... <mailto:mhorn%40adobe.com>>
                    > > Yeah, but I think some of those folks are only 27.
                    > >
                    > > -matt

                  • tmredden
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 6, 2006
                      Sorry, got my groups switched. Thought this was a HS message. Pay it no
                      mind.

                      - Todd

                    • Bob Sumner
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 6, 2006
                        at least Mark will still play with me
                        but --- he keeps wanting to feed me to his dogs
                        grumpy old Bob

                        At 04:44 PM 12/6/2006, Josh Bluestein wrote:
                        >Does that mean we'll have to do the traditional 'humiliate Edwards at
                        >boardgames' thing out in the hall this year?

                        How old is Lockheardt? He looks old. I may have to adjust my
                        restricted age.

                        "Logan... you renewed!"
                        Francis-7

                      • Dawn Townsend
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 6, 2006
                          So is this a new Eric to add to our collection?

                          -Dawn
                        • Chris Lockheardt
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                            --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Mark J. Edwards" <danger-
                            mouse@...> wrote:

                            > How old is Lockheardt? He looks old. I may have to adjust my
                            > restricted age.

                            I'm even older than Josh and Richard (although you could never tell as
                            I have a tenth of Josh's grey hairs and a hundredth of Richard's
                            bitter cynicism.)

                            But perhaps a simpler rule of thumb for you, Mark, would be to pledge
                            not to play games with anyone who doesn't wear a baseball cap 23 hours
                            a day. That should eliminate anyone old enough to have kissed a girl.

                            (Oh, wait . . . I'm talking about gamers, aren't I?)
                          • mrhaleon
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                              You may have to alter your filter a bit Mark...

                              Perhaps anyone over 39 and under 112 (or is Bob 110?)

                              --Campbell

                              --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Sumner" <robertp.sumner@...>
                              wrote:

                              > at least Mark will still play with me
                              > but --- he keeps wanting to feed me to his dogs
                              > grumpy old Bob

                            • Josh Bluestein
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                > From: "Mark J. Edwards" <danger-mouse@...>
                                > At 04:44 PM 12/6/2006, Josh Bluestein wrote:
                                > >Does that mean we'll have to do the traditional 'humiliate Edwards at
                                > >boardgames' thing out in the hall this year?
                                >
                                > How old is Lockheardt? He looks old. I may have to adjust my
                                > restricted age.

                                Well, I'm not one to kiss and tell, but I do know that he's a good bit
                                older than I am, and only about half as nice.

                                Josh
                              • Bob Sumner
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                  Campbell ---
                                  first - I am 29 months away from collecting Social Security :-)
                                  so I am a long way from 110
                                  second -- how is married life and Michigan --
                                  and does Michigan have any gaming
                                  Sumner

                                  wrote:

                                  > at least Mark will still play with me
                                  > but --- he keeps wanting to feed me to his dogs
                                  > grumpy old Bob

                                • Eric Stevenson
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                    He is some guy from Waltham who just joined the group and is mystified by all the names, places, and hats being mentioned in response to my question. :)

                                    Dawn Townsend <dawn44@...> wrote:
                                    So is this a new Eric to add to our collection?

                                    -Dawn

                                  • Constantine
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                      Proud to say I have 10x Josh's grey and 100/100 of Richard's bitter
                                      cynicism. They are my benchmarks.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                        > From: "Constantine" <curseyoukhan@...>

                                        > Proud to say I have 10x Josh's grey and 100/100 of Richard's bitter
                                        > cynicism. They are my benchmarks.

                                        I remember the good old days when people used to compare themselves to
                                        MY bitter cynicism.

                                        To say I am disappointed does not...well, you get the point.
                                      • Mark Edwards
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                          At 08:11 AM 12/7/2006, Chris Lockheardt wrote:
                                          >I'm even older than Josh and Richard (although you could never tell as
                                          >I have a tenth of Josh's grey hairs and a hundredth of Richard's
                                          >bitter cynicism.)

                                          I guess it's that boyish smile that makes you look so young.

                                          >But perhaps a simpler rule of thumb for you, Mark, would be to pledge
                                          >not to play games with anyone who doesn't wear a baseball cap 23 hours
                                          >a day. That should eliminate anyone old enough to have kissed a girl.
                                          >
                                          >(Oh, wait . . . I'm talking about gamers, aren't I?)

                                          Hmmm, no that wouldn't be a good filter either. The age filter is iffy
                                          at best and the hat filter just doesn't cut it either. I'm thinking that
                                          I'll have to trust my gut instincts when it comes to people I choose to
                                          game with, but for a few random occasions they have served me well.

                                          "Sokath, his eyes uncovered"
                                        • Mark Edwards
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                            At 11:27 AM 12/7/2006, Eric Stevenson wrote:

                                            >He is some guy from Waltham who just joined the group and is mystified by
                                            >all the names, places, and hats being mentioned in response to my question. :)

                                            You're at least the 5th Eric on this list and most of them have
                                            nicknames so we can differentiate between them. I dub you,
                                            Eric-Youngun-Hater. Hmmm, doesn't exactly roll of the tongue does
                                            it? We'll work on it.

                                            My advice, check out Danger Planet one game night and see if they're
                                            the kind of people you'd care to meet again. The beauty of gaming at a
                                            game store is you can always up and leave and then never come back. It's
                                            not as easy to do when you host and have them come to your
                                            house. Oi. It's tough getting rid of em after that! ;-)

                                            Also, UG is our short hand for Unity Games day. We try to get as many
                                            folks on the list together at least once a year for a full day of
                                            gaming. The next UG is January 27. Check out the details here:
                                            http://www.unitygames.org/ugxii/ugxii.htm So if you'd like to get a feel
                                            for the folks that game around these parts attending UG XII would be a good
                                            way to do it.

                                            Mark

                                            "Sokath, his eyes uncovered"
                                          • nix342
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                              Is this some scheme to ALWAYS go first in games?

                                              Nick

                                              --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "estevenson66" <estevenson66@...>

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                                On 12/7/06, Eric Stevenson <estevenson66@...> wrote:
                                                > He is some guy from Waltham who just joined the group and
                                                > is mystified by all the names, places, and hats being
                                                > mentioned in response to my question. :)

                                                You're desperately in need of Unity Games XII where we unravel the
                                                mystery of names, places and hats. The winter event takes place on
                                                January 27th, 2007 in Framinham. You can get details here:

                                                http://www.unitygames.org/ugxii/ugxii.htm

                                                Don't miss it!

                                                daveber@...
                                                www.unitygames.org
                                              • Craig Massey
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                                  Wow, all of this mocking and smack talk is making me feel warm and fuzzy.... just like the old days of the UG list.

                                                  I should call Mark a weasel just for old times sake and bring up a the infamous President's Day Adv. Civ game to tweak Walter.

                                                  Craig W. Massey
                                                  cwmassey@...

                                                  At 08:11 AM 12/7/2006, Chris Lockheardt wrote:

                                                  >I'm even older than Josh and Richard (although you could never tell as

                                                  >I have a tenth of Josh's grey hairs and a hundredth of Richard's

                                                  >bitter cynicism.)

                                                  I guess it's that boyish smile that makes you look so young.

                                                  >But perhaps a simpler rule of thumb for you, Mark, would be to pledge

                                                  >not to play games with anyone who doesn't wear a baseball cap 23 hours

                                                  >a day. That should eliminate anyone old enough to have kissed a girl.

                                                  >(Oh, wait . . . I'm talking about gamers, aren't I?)

                                                  Hmmm, no that wouldn't be a good filter either. The age filter is iffy

                                                  at best and the hat filter just doesn't cut it either. I'm thinking that

                                                  I'll have to trust my gut instincts when it comes to people I choose to

                                                  game with, but for a few random occasions they have served me well.

                                                  "Sokath, his eyes uncovered"

                                                  <!--

                                                  #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                                                  #ygrp-text{
                                                  font-family:Georgia;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-text p{
                                                  margin:0 0 1em 0;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                                                  font-family:Arial;
                                                  clear:both;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-vitnav{
                                                  padding-top:10px;
                                                  font-family:Verdana;
                                                  font-size:77%;
                                                  margin:0;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-vitnav a{
                                                  padding:0 1px;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-actbar{
                                                  clear:both;
                                                  margin:25px 0;
                                                  white-space:nowrap;
                                                  color:#666;
                                                  text-align:right;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-actbar .left{
                                                  float:left;
                                                  white-space:nowrap;
                                                  }
                                                  .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                                                  #ygrp-grft{
                                                  font-family:Verdana;
                                                  font-size:77%;
                                                  padding:15px 0;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-ft{
                                                  font-family:verdana;
                                                  font-size:77%;
                                                  border-top:1px solid #666;
                                                  padding:5px 0;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                                                  padding-bottom:10px;
                                                  }

                                                  #ygrp-vital{
                                                  background-color:#e0ecee;
                                                  margin-bottom:20px;
                                                  padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                                                  font-size:77%;
                                                  font-family:Verdana;
                                                  font-weight:bold;
                                                  color:#333;
                                                  text-transform:uppercase;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-vital ul{
                                                  padding:0;
                                                  margin:2px 0;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-vital ul li{
                                                  list-style-type:none;
                                                  clear:both;
                                                  border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                                                  font-weight:bold;
                                                  color:#ff7900;
                                                  float:right;
                                                  width:2em;
                                                  text-align:right;
                                                  padding-right:.5em;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                                                  font-weight:bold;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-vital a {
                                                  text-decoration:none;
                                                  }

                                                  #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                                                  text-decoration:underline;
                                                  }

                                                  #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                                                  color:#999;
                                                  font-size:77%;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                                                  padding:6px 13px;
                                                  background-color:#e0ecee;
                                                  margin-bottom:20px;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                                                  padding:0 0 0 8px;
                                                  margin:0;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                                                  list-style-type:square;
                                                  padding:6px 0;
                                                  font-size:77%;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                                                  text-decoration:none;
                                                  font-size:130%;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                                                  background-color:#eee;
                                                  margin-bottom:20px;
                                                  padding:0 8px;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                                                  padding:8px 0;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                                                  font-family:Arial;
                                                  font-weight:bold;
                                                  color:#628c2a;
                                                  font-size:100%;
                                                  line-height:122%;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                                                  text-decoration:none;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                                                  text-decoration:underline;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                                                  margin:0;
                                                  }
                                                  o {font-size:0;}
                                                  .MsoNormal {
                                                  margin:0 0 0 0;
                                                  }
                                                  #ygrp-text tt{
                                                  font-size:120%;
                                                  }
                                                  blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                                                  .replbq {margin:4;}
                                                  -->

                                                • mrhaleon
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 8, 2006
                                                    wrote:

                                                    > Campbell ---
                                                    > first - I am 29 months away from collecting Social Security :-)
                                                    > so I am a long way from 110
                                                    > second -- how is married life and Michigan --
                                                    > and does Michigan have any gaming
                                                    > Sumner

                                                    I hope for your sake sir that they pay out Social Security in limes...

                                                    Married life is treating me far better than Michigan (I am barely on
                                                    speaking terms with the latter).

                                                    Nah, it's all good actually. Quite cold and snowy out here in flyover
                                                    land, but not bad, all things considered.

                                                    There is indeed some gaming out there, which I have barely had time to
                                                    tap.

                                                    But there is a yahoo group and everything, located here:

                                                    It's a small group, but very similar to UG in it's early days (though
                                                    these people are actually nice).

                                                    The two most recent posts show me lamely trying to start conversation
                                                    up and being shot down ;)

                                                    --Campbell
                                                  • Mark J. Edwards
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Dec 8, 2006
                                                      At 03:10 PM 12/8/2006, mrhaleon wrote:
                                                      >I hope for your sake sir that they pay out Social Security in limes...

                                                      Yeah cuz you owe us big time pal!

                                                      >It's a small group, but very similar to UG in it's early days (though
                                                      >these people are actually nice).

                                                      Wtf is that supposed to mean?!? You gone soft on us?

                                                      >The two most recent posts show me lamely trying to start conversation
                                                      >up and being shot down ;)

                                                      Ahhh, see they're okay there in MN.

                                                      "Logan... you renewed!"
                                                      Francis-7