Games for soldiers

  • W. Eric Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2006
      A final update on the games for soldiers situation: The short version is
      that the games are in the mail and on their way to California for
      shipment overseas.

      The longer version is that generous donors on the 6am Gamers list and
      the Unity Games list -- along with a couple of donors from outside New
      England who saw my request on http://www.funandboardgames.com -- raised
      $480 and contributed three decent-sized boxes of games.

      Ray Dennis, owner of Geeks and Gamers in Meredith, NH and a 6am Gamer,
      threw in a dozen games from his store and generously offered a 20%
      discount. In his words: "I think it's a great idea because I too once
      served overseas, and I know what it's like to get a package when you're
      away from home." With the discount Ray offered, I was able to buy $600
      worth of games.

      What will a few hundred lucky soldiers be playing in the months ahead?
      Take a look and see:

      Wits & Wagers
      I'm the Boss
      Bohnanza x3
      Tichu x3
      No Thanks x3
      Bang! x2
      Frank's Zoo x2
      Coloretto x2
      Loco!
      Family Business x2
      Five Crowns x2
      High Society x2
      Jungle Speed
      Xactica x2
      Time's Up
      Mystery Rummy #1 x2
      Mystery Rummy #3
      Super Munchkin
      San Juan
      Fluxx x2
      Zombies!
      For Sale x2
      Lost Cities x2
      Colossal Arena x2
      Wyatt Earp
      Give Me the Brain
      Mamma Mia
      Lucky Loop x2
      Ebbets Field Pro Baseball Game
      Yahtzee Texas Hold'em
      Double or Nothing
      Quiddler x3
      Pig Pile
      Skip-Bo
      Uno H2O (to help keep the cards from getting sweaty, I guess)
      MBT
      Battles of Ardennes
      Strategy & Tactics - various issues
      General Magazine - various issues

      If those soldiers aren't into trick-taking games now, they surely will
      be by the time they return home.

      For the longest version of this story, check out my latest column on
      Boardgame News:
      http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comments/w_eric_martin_gaming_in_the_middle_east/

      Thanks again to everyone for donating!

      Eric