UG Math Trade (was: UG in January)

  • Joe Huber
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
      Jeff writes:

      > I'd be willing to run it again, however Joe also mentioned last time that
      > I think he'd like to try running it this time, possibly using 2-tiered want
      > lists (though I think they have proven to reduce the number of overall trades
      > found)?

      It results in a small number fewer trades - 10% or fewer less - but a
      significant (~50%) increase in the number of people receiving items
      from their top tier.

      > In addition, this time instead of one person running the trade finder (TradeGenie),
      > since then it's been shown the best way is to have as many folks as possible be
      > running it with random-start mode. Last time we had more than enough items
      > that it was impossible to run the trade finder to completion (which would
      > guarantee that the absolute most trades have been found).

      Actually, even a single individual can be more effective by starting
      lots of times, and then rerunning the best runs for longer periods.
      This applies with TradeResolver as well - the more runs, whether by a
      single individual or multiple individuals, the better the results.
      Unfortunately, the version of TradeResolver that works well with
      multiple tiers (v5) doesn't allow for rerunning the case.

      All this said - much as I'd like to run a 2-tier trade, as I like the
      fact that people get items of more interest - I'll be more than happy
      to run a standard one instead if that's what people would prefer.

      > In any case, I think it's still way too early to be running a math trade. I think
      > some folks may get games for the Holidays that they may want to try trading
      > away, and the interest level is higher as UG is closer to the horizon. We don't
      > want to be having the math trade run for a month either because folks don't want
      > to lock there games into a long running math trade, because they want to use
      > the same games in other math trades that will be starting and ending over the
      > next month.

      Agreed. I'm more than happy to run whichever form of math trade is
      preferred, starting in January.

      Joe
    • Tami
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2006
        > Agreed. I'm more than happy to run whichever form of math trade is
        > preferred, starting in January.

        WOOHOO! January is TOMORROW! When does the Math Trade start? I'm
        happy with any type of trade- just let me know when and where to sign up!

        Tami
        -chomping at the bit
      • Lynda
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2007
          --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Tami" <yatcher@...> wrote:

          > > Agreed. I'm more than happy to run whichever form of math trade is
          > > preferred, starting in January.
          >

          > WOOHOO! January is TOMORROW! When does the Math Trade start? I'm
          > happy with any type of trade- just let me know when and where to sign
          up!

          > Tami
          > -chomping at the bit

          I'm very interested in a math trade too!

          Lynda :)